Electric cars

I pace and yes I’m lucky that I also installed one at work but even if I didn’t have one there the one at home would suffice.

Lovely car. Nice one.

I feel like the whole EVs are only for rich people or only as second cars is being proven in the last few replies though.

NO THEY BLOODY DON’T!
How many times do you need telling?

Terraced streets with no parking, high rise flats, houses with no drives, etc, etc.
Are you really advocating trailing a lead across the pavement through an open window!
FFS.
U4ocgS6.gif

Around 35% of households in the UK don't have a driveway. Even with this figure offset by work place charging, using the supermarket ones whilst shopping and maybe lampposts where 3 or 4 can hook up to each one it still leaves a lot of people unable to charge their cars overnight.

There's around 228 charging points in Manchester at the moment...73 locations. Hardly enough. Every other City is just as bad, let alone towns and villages. There's only 24 in the town near me including a big fat none at the local train station. Which is plainly mad. If the trend continues it's the perfect place. There's over a hundred car parking slots.

As with anything in this country, infrastructure is lagging far far behind.
Where I am working now 90% of the population live in apartments. Drives are for the very rich. Teslas and other EV's are extremely common so having a driveway isn't such a deal breaker. I also have an apartment in Mcr city centre, and asked my management company could I put a normal socket next to my car space, which they agreed to has I paid for it. It's not hard to put sockets in as wiring is everywhere

Zap map is a big help but the knight in shining Amour for us has to be Tesco with their snazzy Pod-Points. Park for free whilst you do your shop and then have a nice latte at Costco with a rain forest approved cake .. the jobs good un. Only 7kw chargers but they charge up our battery pack in two hours so all's good. Also a mention in dispatches to Be.Ev who are run on behalf of greater Manchester and also 7kw and free. Hoozah hoozahh

Since my wife and I went green we have been sleeping better at nights knowing that we are doing our bit for mother earth. We also find ourself more spatially attuned to our environment and have even stopped using plastic bags, last week we even planted a tree sapling in our crofts garden.

Last edited:
Zap map is a big help but the knight in shining Amour for us has to be Tesco with their snazzy PodPoints. Park for free whilst you do your shop and have a nice latte at the Costco with a rain forest approved cake and the jobs good un. Only 7kw chargers but they charge up our battery pack in two hours so all is good. Also a mention in dispatches to Be.Ev who are run behalf of greater Manchester and they are all 7kw and free. Hoozah hoozahh

Since my wife and I went green we have been sleeping better at nights knowing that we are doing our bit for mother earth. We also find ourself more spatially attuned to our environment and have stopped using plastic bags and last week we even planted a tree sapling in our crofts garden.

Lol nice edit there to get a cheeky windup in.

"Since my wife and I went green we have been sleeping better at nights knowing that we are doing our bit for mother earth."

Give me a break! Say that to my face without smirking.

Lol nice edit there to get a cheeky windup in.

"Since my wife and I went green we have been sleeping better at nights knowing that we are doing our bit for mother earth."

Give me a break! Say that to my face without smirking.
Seriously though the Zap Map mentioned above is a mighty fine tool with loads of user information concerning car choice, stats, buyers guide, news and a host of snippets for both the newbie and hardened greenie alike.

Last edited:
NO THEY BLOODY DON’T!
Terraced streets with no parking, high rise flats, houses with no drives, etc, etc.
Are you really advocating trailing a lead across the pavement through an open window!
FFS.

Happens all the time near me. Not sure why the capitals... poor @Gaz in Zurich

Also if an electric car isn’t right for you then buy a hybrid or a petrol. No one is forcing you to have an electric car and just because it isn’t practical for you doesn’t mean they are shit or bad for the environment either.

NO THEY BLOODY DON’T!
FFS.
My apartment in MCR is on the 4th floor, I have had a socket installed on my parking bay in the underground car park. I live in a apartment here which is 6th floor. I have had a socket installed at my parking bay in the underground parking. If I can install sockets in my parking bays, one done in a foreign language..charging the car 2 foot from a terrace house door will be a breeze. Stop making mountains out of mole hills..if you don't want to get an EV don't.. eventually you will have to. When I had a terrace, I used to charge my 12v battery all the time with an extension cable. No one batted an eyelid.

just a point to add on using lamp posts to host charging points, street lighting circuits typically feed maybe 10 or 15 lanterns, at, lets be generous, and say 100W each. So thats 1.5kW. The wiring feeding those lampposts is sized on that basis. So the idea of just trucking up and parking 4x7kW chargers on every other lamppost is ludicrous

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.