Paranormal Experiences

A lot of people say 'there are things that cant be explained,' which is true, but there is a critial word missing from the end of that sentence: 'yet.'
I've yet to see solid evidence of anything which cannot be explained. Only stories, passed from one unreliable witness to another. And the stories from reliable witnesses, can all be explained.

An odd one I can report, told to me by a girl I worked with years ago.
Her dad went to Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight. He saw Charles I and his courtiers walking across one of the lawns. 'Ghosts' did not cross his mind - he thought it was reenactors or people dressed up for some special event.
However, when he asked the people in charge they told him there were no reenactments or events that day.
Still, maybe he imagined it, eh?

Her dad went to Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight. He saw Charles I and his courtiers walking across one of the lawns. 'Ghosts' did not cross his mind - he thought it was reenactors or people dressed up for some special event.
However, when he asked the people in charge they told him there were no reenactments or events that day.
In legal terms, I think this "evidence" would be excluded as "hearsay"?

I could say I saw a little green alien with a ray gun running across my garden this morning. Definitive proof that there are alien visitors? Nope.

And, anyway, he may have "seen" them, in his mind. i.e. he may not be lying, but may genuinely have had some mental aberration, which unfortunately does not prove that ghosts actually exist.

Of course it's 'hearsay'. The girl and her dad could just be liars. As they were both observant Methodists I tend to think that unlikely. The bloke, in particular, was a stereotype of a 'holy Joe'. Lying for him would be no casual thing.

He could have imagined the whole thing. For all I know, people might have visions (like Jeanne D'arc allegedly did.) I would find that pretty amazing in itself. How many people would connect Charles I with Carisbrooke? I do, because I have studied the Civil War, but what proportion of the population would?

Another possibility is that a bunch of guys, for the crack, dressed up as Charles I and his court and went for a wander around the castle without anyone in charge knowing about it. I don't know about you, but me and my mates were always dressing up in authentic historical costumes and walking about places. Apart from working and watching City we did little else.

I dare say there are other possibilities. Maybe a bunch of aliens beamed down and wanted to fit in, but got their timing a few centuries out.

Of course it's 'hearsay'. The girl and her dad could just be liars. As they were both observant Methodists I tend to think that unlikely. The bloke, in particular, was a stereotype of a 'holy Joe'. Lying for him would be no casual thing.

He could have imagined the whole thing. For all I know, people might have visions (like Jeanne D'arc allegedly did.) I would find that pretty amazing in itself. How many people would connect Charles I with Carisbrooke? I do, because I have studied the Civil War, but what proportion of the population would?

Another possibility is that a bunch of guys, for the crack, dressed up as Charles I and his court and went for a wander around the castle without anyone in charge knowing about it. I don't know about you, but me and my mates were always dressing up in authentic historical costumes and walking about places. Apart from working and watching City we did little else.

I dare say there are other possibilities. Maybe a bunch of aliens beamed down and wanted to fit in, but got their timing a few centuries out.
I don't doubt that some people do see things. What I do doubt - positively refute in fact - is that what they see actually exists other than in their heads.

People are well used to the idea that if you take LCD you may hallucinate, but I don't hear anyone claiming that what LCD consumers see are therefore real phenomena. It's just all in their heads. Exactly the same kind of thing with anyone who has genuinely "seen" a ghost. And BTW for every 10 who say they have, I reckon 9+ are attention-seeking bullshitters anyway.

I don't doubt that some people do see things. What I do doubt - positively refute in fact - is that what they see actually exists other than in their heads.

People are well used to the idea that if you take LCD you may hallucinate, but I don't hear anyone claiming that what LCD consumers see are therefore real phenomena. It's just all in their heads. Exactly the same kind of thing with anyone who has genuinely "seen" a ghost. And BTW for every 10 who say they have, I reckon 9+ are attention-seeking bullshitters anyway.
Well I’ve seen programmes on Blaze where they’ve caught ghosts and flying objects on camera so it must be real.

People in charge were fucking with him.

People hallucinate when taking LSD. So maybe this active Methodist took LSD on the quiet, and on that particular day, instead of seeing pink dragons, or Marie Antoinette, or flying sausages, he saw Charles I and his entourage. Seems a perfectly reasonable explanation to me.

Maybe the whole world is an illusion. Perhaps it's just a dream we are having - we are actually giant tree frogs on the planet Zog who live for ten thousand years. Who knows?

Our brains have over 100 billion neurons. No one even begins to understand how the brain works. What if there are dimensions we only see in certain circumstances? How can you possibly know, one way or the other?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.