Will you attend City games if we join a European Super League?

Would you attend?

• Yes

Votes: 99 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 706 75.2%
  • Depends on what the plans are

Votes: 149 15.9%

• Total voters
Barely slept last night. 35 years, growing up a City fan in the fucking 90s, and this is how it is going to end. Fuck sake.
Totally get were you are coming from, I feel much the same way having watched City through the 80s and 90s I was sure that I would never stop going caring.... yesterday was something of a shock to me.....the irony is if we had kept dropping I am sure I would never have stopped!!!

I admit I have not read much about this. However my understanding is that this is a mid week league between European super league members and doesn't mean we aren't playing in the PL. It sounds a straight replacement for the CL albeit the same teams are involved every season. Given that as a fan base we have never been huge supporters of the CL or UEFA, can someone explain what I am missing and why I should be outraged?

The other question I would ask is if this is going ahead anyway what would have been the implications for the club if they hadn't joined as founder members. Maybe the Club decided they didn't really have an option.

So Chelsea, Real and City sign up to it. Might as well throw my money on PSG winning the CL this season then. No way UEFA will let the other three win it now they've looked to break away.

It's no surprise we have but it's gutting. Our fight with UEFA has been all about the inequality of their FFP which already protects the history boys.

Yet we are now happy to breakaway to preserve our status at the expense of fair competition.

Fucking hypocrits.

The timing of this stinks too. Teams still competing to finish in the top 4, semi final stage of the CL and EL, City still able to win three trophies.
Now many aren't going to care about those, and at worst they're going to be vastly overshadowed if they do win all three.

Will be interesting to see what Pep comes out and says in tomorrow's press conference on this

So United have left the ECA so I assume that means they now can't compete anymore in this year's Europa League?? How long till us Chelsea & Madrid follow and the Champs league by default is awarded to PSG?
Farcical this whole thing

Even if this dies a death, we as a club and as fans are going to be slaughtered home and away next season by other fans who don't support the 6.

This was a perfect opportunity for our owner and board to distance themselves from the PL cartel, and to get fans who have called our owners and our club onside.

Regardless if we were the last to sign up, and had our doubts, we will be forever associated with trying to destroy football in this country.

Well done Masour, Khaldoon, and Soriano.

I actually see this as part of a vast phenomenon, which I'd call the dematerialisation of society, and it's been going on for quite some time. You see it through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc (none of which I have ever frequented, nor will), where it's seen as important that someone on the other side of the world who you have never met and never will meet has ‘liked’ your meal at the restaurant, or ‘liked’ the setting of the pub you're having a pint in. You have hundreds of ‘friends’. Perhaps you have an online dalliance with a woman or man you'll never meet.
By analogy, you are a ‘fan’ of this or that club because you see them through a screen while you sit in your Juventus/Barca/City/Liverpool/Real top.
Covid has only accelerated this process of living life through the proxy of a television or computer screen. People have endless Zoom meetings. Everybody complains about it, everybody submits to it.
I draw a hard distinction — purely a private thing, take it or leave it, many won't accept it — between being a fan and being a supporter. A supporter materially supports and contributes to their club, and not simply by being the loudest mouth down the pub.

Make no mistake: if this goes ahead, it really doesn't matter if there are supporters there or not. They are sidelined. The money they bring in through the turnstiles is as nothing compared to the global broadcasting rights which allow someone who has literally never set foot in Maine Road or the Etihad, indeed has never set foot in the UK, to watch their football as consumers. The voice and passion of supporters is not in the stadium? No matter. You can fabricate ersatz crowd noise vaguely related to what's going on on the pitch. The players are not happy? They'll be paid even more of a fortune than they're paid now. They'll shut their mouths, believe it.

If this goes ahead, it is the end of something that has given me great pleasure (also great pain), and great meaning.
I shall always be a City supporter in my heart — I have no choice — but I shall refuse being transformed from a supporter into what I have defined as a fan. I refuse being shunted from being an agent of my club's fortunes — in however tiny a way — to being an inert consumer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.