The "Others" in the Academy

MCFCFanTX

I don't know where to put this so if the mods feel this should be moved, I agree.

Two players out of the others that have had really good seasons, low-key even, are A Bernabe and C. Gomes.

Both were originally midfielders (attacking mid for Bernabe and defensive mid for Gomes) and highly touted from the Barca and PSG academies, respectively.

Both moved to play the fullback role this year and in my opinion have performed brilliantly.

I think both can in time, if they stay, develop into squad type players given their skill set and versatility.

Bernabe's contract ends in June, I believe, and Gomes is under contract for a little longer. A loan to Troyes next year makes sense for Gomes.

What are your opinion on those two players and who else do you feel are some "other" players in the Academy that are flying under the radar that have a chance?

I think Bernabe could have been something special at LB if we had tried it out a couple years ago. With his contract ending in the summer and no reports of an extension, he’ll probably leave. He has never really impressed me as an out-and-out midfield, but he’s been absolutely brilliant as LB this season. He has a bit of everything, a bit gutted he’s leaving, could be a perfect Pep LB

As for Gomes, he’s been very consistent and a solid player this season, but I can’t see him making it at City. Falls into the Smith, Kongolo, Davenport category for me, pretty good but not good enough. Suspect he’ll end up at a midtable french team

I think Bernabe could have been something special at LB if we had tried it out a couple years ago. With his contract ending in the summer and no reports of an extension, he’ll probably leave. He has never really impressed me as an out-and-out midfield, but he’s been absolutely brilliant as LB this season. He has a bit of everything, a bit gutted he’s leaving, could be a perfect Pep LB

As for Gomes, he’s been very consistent and a solid player this season, but I can’t see him making it at City. Falls into the Smith, Kongolo, Davenport category for me, pretty good but not good enough. Suspect he’ll end up at a midtable french team
Are there any others in the Academy whether at the EDS or u18 level that haven't gotten the fanfare but have a chance?

Are there any others in the Academy whether at the EDS or u18 level that haven't gotten the fanfare but have a chance?
Hard to get much clips on the U18s, but I really like the look of Hamilton (CM/LW), Borges(LW) and Bobb (RW/CM)

In terms of EDS players «flying under the radar» it would probably have to be Callum Doyle who has improved massively this year. A very complete CB at only 17. Reminds me a lot of a quicker, more agile Laporte

Hard to get much clips on the U18s, but I really like the look of Hamilton (CM/LW), Borges(LW) and Bobb (RW/CM)

In terms of EDS players «flying under the radar» it would probably have to be Callum Doyle who has improved massively this year. A very complete CB at only 17. Reminds me a lot of a quicker, more agile Laporte

Literally said all I wanted to say and more. Callum Doyle is really impressive especially how he brings the ball out of defence. He looks better every game.

I guess he does have his fanfare but it feels like he’s not talked about enough; Lavia. Could go on to become something special.

Literally said all I wanted to say and more. Callum Doyle is really impressive especially how he brings the ball out of defence. He looks better every game.

I guess he does have his fanfare but it feels like he’s not talked about enough; Lavia. Could go on to become something special.
Yeah, Lavia is absolutely amazing. Might be the biggest talent in the academy for me. Doesn’t get loads of goals or assists like Delap, Palmer and McAtee, but he’s so extremely composed and mature for his age. Incredible in tight spaces, good range of passing and a great defender too. Has all the tools to become Dinhos replacement

Yeah, Lavia is absolutely amazing. Might be the biggest talent in the academy for me. Doesn’t get loads of goals or assists like Delap, Palmer and McAtee, but he’s so extremely composed and mature for his age. Incredible in tight spaces, good range of passing and a great defender too. Has all the tools to become Dinhos replacement

He fits in perfectly with going unnoticed like Dinho in the good work he does. He really is very good in tight spaces. If Dinho ever went into coaching and at City, it’ll be good for lads like Lavia. Still a lot of room for growth as well, and he’s already really talented.

Hoping he makes the jump in future as well

One of our sister clubs Troyes look like they will be in the French top flight next season. Why not transfer Bernarbe and Gomes to Troyes ? If they thrive there we would always have the option to buy them back.

Reactions: kun
Haven't seen a lot of Bernabe, but whenever I've seen him I've been really impressed. Can't write put my finger on it, but he just looks really classy on the ball.

Haven't seen a lot of Bernabe, but whenever I've seen him I've been really impressed. Can't write put my finger on it, but he just looks really classy on the ball.
Never rated him as a midfielder,he was lacklustre and inconsistent.As a fullback he's found a new leash of life,his appetite and tenacity have improved almost overnight,he also reads the game so much better from a deeper position.
While miles off yet.....There are definite comparisons with Zaba in his game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.