André Silva

I didn’t watch him tonight but saw him against Monchengladbach when Frankfurt lost 4-0 (their previous match) and... pretty poor. He’s a fine striker who has had one good season finally. We need a star

Not true. Milan wouldn't have bought him if it was. Good stats for the national team and Porto. He for a good return on loan last season and he is having a great one this time. Stats comparable to Dzeko's in Germany.

He is 2nd top scorer in the Bundesliga and 3rd best minutes for goals.

Your point that he looked poor when his team performed poorly is a rather a moot one.

I see him as a Dzeko sort of signing, good enough to play for the club and a confidence player. He has good link up play, dribbling ability, and two good feet, think he would link up well with Jesus to his left.

I think he would do better than his one season in Milan because he knows our Portuguese players from the national team and hopefully they would help him settle in and we would play to his strengths.

Not true. Milan wouldn't have bought him if it was. Good stats for the national team and Porto. He for a good return on loan last season and he is having a great one this time. Stats comparable to Dzeko's in Germany.

He is 2nd top scorer in the Bundesliga and 3rd best minutes for goals.

Your point that he looked poor when his team performed poorly is a rather a moot one.

I see him as a Dzeko sort of signing, good enough to play for the club and a confidence player. He has good link up play, dribbling ability, and two good feet, think he would link up well with Jesus to his left.

I think he would do better than his one season in Milan because he knows our Portuguese players from the national team and hopefully they would help him settle in and we would play to his strengths.

I’m not going to criticize him now. Being good for Porto is like an obligation — and he was fine enough. He was terrible at Milan. Now he’s doing what Frankfurt needs of him. If you watch his goals this season, they’re nothing special in terms of technique and variety and lots of pens. He’s not a star in his national team either; he’s just ahead of others for the position. I can’t criticize the argument that he would do well because we have Portuguese teammates, since I too say Lukaku and KdB would be explosive for similar reasons. My thing is I just don’t think he will or should leave Frankfurt if they do indeed qualify for UCL. If he does, I don’t think he’s for us. But we’ll see.

Oh and with regards to his performance against Gladbach. It wasn’t just the team. I saw it myself not just the stats

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not going to criticize him now. Being good for Porto is like an obligation — and he was fine enough. He was terrible at Milan. Now he’s doing what Frankfurt needs of him. If you watch his goals this season, they’re nothing special in terms of technique and variety and lots of pens. He’s not a star in his national team either; he’s just ahead of others for the position. I can’t criticize the argument that he would do well because we have Portuguese teammates, since I too say Lukaku and KdB would be explosive for similar reasons. My thing is I just don’t think he will or should leave Frankfurt if they do indeed qualify for UCL. If he does, I don’t think he’s for us. But we’ll see.

Oh and with regards to his performance against Gladbach. It wasn’t just the team. I saw it myself not just the stats

I didn’t say you didn't. Gladbach had a gameplan and nullified an attacking team and scored from dead ball situations.

You called him an ordinary striker in earlier post, that's just absurd.

He has scored 6 penalties true, but that is as many Lewandowski, only difference is he has a 100% conversion rate.

I think he is a quality player who has matured and could make the step up.

If we aren't spending the sort of money being talked about with Haaland and Kane. I'd be happy to see him sign. Good teams aren't just about signing the best players in the world and throwing them all together.

I didn’t say you didn't. Gladbach had a gameplan and nullified an attacking team and scored from dead ball situations.

You called him an ordinary striker in earlier post, that's just absurd.

He has scored 6 penalties true, but that is as many Lewandowski, only difference is he has a 100% conversion rate.

I think he is a quality player who has matured and could make the step up.

If we aren't spending the sort of money being talked about with Haaland and Kane. I'd be happy to see him sign. Good teams aren't just about signing the best players in the world and throwing them all together.

Not really feeling going back and forth over this guy, but okay.

Yes, Monchengladbach had a smart tactical plan, but his movement on the pitch wasn’t offering many alternatives and he wasn’t at his clinical best. That’s my take, but we can differ.

I would repeat that he is an ordinary striker in the literal sense. He is not extraordinary. He’s no better than Jesus, and Jesus, if played as much as Silva, could probably have the same stats this year. Jesus’ past seasons have been better than Silva’s. But there is nothing wrong with this, as Jesus is, too, a fine player. My problem is that because of what he offers in terms of technique and presence, Silva wouldn’t be good enough to be a starting player in a Pep team, like let’s say the top 3 main strikers we have been linked with: Haaland, Lukaku, Kane. He would be a squad option not exactly above Jesus. And we can’t afford not to have a TOP, TOP striker in the team because some of the tactics we currently employ aren’t reliable in the long term (and believe me, Pep knows this above everyone else). You take Lautaro Martinez, for instance, who we have been linked in the past but now is signing a new contract with Inter, I think on paper he would be superior to Silva, but he hasn’t materialized his promise certainly this season and even last season I thought he was underwhelming.

“ Good teams aren't just about signing the best players in the world and throwing them all together.” that is obviously true and we’re not that either. But if there was ever one signing that needs to be an undeniable star, it’s the Aguero replacement.

Not really feeling going back and forth over this guy, but okay.

Yes, Monchengladbach had a smart tactical plan, but his movement on the pitch wasn’t offering many alternatives and he wasn’t at his clinical best. That’s my take, but we can differ.

I would repeat that he is an ordinary striker in the literal sense. He is not extraordinary. He’s no better than Jesus, and Jesus, if played as much as Silva, could probably have the same stats this year. Jesus’ past seasons have been better than Silva’s. But there is nothing wrong with this, as Jesus is, too, a fine player. My problem is that because of what he offers in terms of technique and presence, Silva wouldn’t be good enough to be a starting player in a Pep team, like let’s say the top 3 main strikers we have been linked with: Haaland, Lukaku, Kane. He would be a squad option not exactly above Jesus. And we can’t afford not to have a TOP, TOP striker in the team because some of the tactics we currently employ aren’t reliable in the long term (and believe me, Pep knows this above everyone else). You take Lautaro Martinez, for instance, who we have been linked in the past but now is signing a new contract with Inter, I think on paper he would be superior to Silva, but he hasn’t materialized his promise certainly this season and even last season I thought he was underwhelming.

“ Good teams aren't just about signing the best players in the world and throwing them all together.” that is obviously true and we’re not that either. But if there was ever one signing that needs to be an undeniable star, it’s the Aguero replacement.

You replied to me first, don't forget that.

Are you Jamie Redknapp by any chance?
Silva would be a good player for us and we could give Jesus more minutes in the team or they could play alongside each other in change of a system in certain games.

I have seen enough of Silva to know he has the technical quality and has been working hard to improve on his game. Before he made awful misses for penalties, now he has a 100% record. You can see in the way he takes them that he has done alot of work on his technique.

He is in the same level in his position as Dias and Rodri were and could really kick on. Comes across really well in interviews and has a humble nice guy vibe like Aguero but also has the drive to improve his game.

Is he as individually talented as Haaland or blessed with the same physicality? No. But he has good technique on both feet, can dibble, flick the ball for a pass, nutmeg, and he has an awareness of space in the box and fantastic heading ability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.