#6 | Nathan Aké - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been decent when he's played, just been injured. Think stones revival, zinchenko laying further claim to left back, and cancelo's inclusion at left back has probably confused things.

There was a brief opportunity for him early on in the season when laporte was injured and struggling for form, stones was injured, and Dias had yet to come in. But it was fleeting and he wound up injured anyway.

I'm often inclined to level blame at the club in situations like this where a decent player is surplus, but I think Ake's just been really unfortunate.

I'd be disappointed if he left. But I can, kind of, understand his frustration at not being in the team. Being injured for a large chunk of the season hasn't helped him, of course. And the form of the three lads ahead of him makes it almost impossible for him to get into the team. I'd hope he stays. When he's on his game, he's an accomplished defender.

I’d completely understand if true.

He’s definitely 4th choice at City, and that’s no position for an international just hitting the prime of his career.

He’s a better player than that, and should back himself to be a starter at a decent club - and so long as Laporte is up for the fight next season I’d have no problem with us letting him go to help balance the books.

4th choice shouldn’t be an international player on decent wages - that’s a role for one of the kids. I’d far rather Harwood-Bellis or Mbete took Ake’s minutes next season, and we let him go to start for another team.

Mbete/HB/Callum Doyle in no particular order. Really like Doyle. He’s tough, quick and can play out from the back with composure. As you’ve said, 4th choice should go to an academy lad.

I like him as a player but I said at the time when he signed it was a strange move for him personally.
He was never gonna be first choice . He’s now comfortably fourth choice behind stones Dias and Laporte .
I know he’s been Injured a lot and if he stays I’m sure he’ll get games if we rest players .
Like on Saturday .
I can’t see all four of our centre backs staying tbh , I think the club were ready to sell stones but his return to the first team has put a spanner in the works .
Laporte and ake are too good to be rotation options imo .
Think we’re going to find it difficult to keep all four happy .
so wouldn’t surprise me if ake or Laporte ask for a transfer in the summer .

Last edited:
I like him as a player but I said at the time when he signed it was a strange move for him personally.
He was never gonna be first choice . He’s now comfortably fourth choice behind stones Dias and Laporte .
I know he’s been Injured a lot and if he stays I’m sure he’ll get games if we rest players .
Like on Saturday .
I can’t see all four of our centre backs staying tbh , I think the club were ready to sell stones but his return to the first team has put a spanner in the works .
Laporte and ake are too good to be rotation options imo .
Think we’re going to find it difficult to keep all four happy .
so wouldn’t surprise me if ake or Laporte ask for a transfer in the summer .

Yeah that’s exactly as I see it..

When you think about it, it's crazy to see how much things have changed since Aké signed.

When Aké signed, our CB options were Laporte, Otamendi, Stones, Garcia, and Fernandinho. Laporte was obviously really good, but had just come off of a long term injury. Otamendi had got to a point where even on his good days he was making errors. Stones was past the point of no return for many. Garcia wanted out, but even if not he wasn't ready to be a 1st choice CB for a season. Fernandinho was also not a truly viable option at CB.

So when Aké signed, he had a real shot of being a 1st choice CB. We've seen this season that Pep isn't afraid to play two same-footed CBs (which is why so many insisting Laporte-Aké partnership could never happen seemed odd). Even when Dias signed, at worst he'd be Laporte's back up. We had 2 left sided CBs and 2 right sided ones.

Then it turns out Dias is a machine and Stones is back to his best. Our best partnership ends up being the 2 right footers and on top of that Dias is always fit. Aké has retained his place as Laporte's backup, but unfortunately Laporte himself became the backup to Stones.

Then you look at LB. When Aké signed we had Cancelo, Zinchenko, and Mendy. At the time, Cancelo was very hit and miss at LB. Zinchenko was persona non grata after the Lyon game. Mendy was always injured.

Now, Cancelo is still hit and miss but his hits are outstanding and his misses are less frequent. Zinchenko has returned to being an ultra-reliable option, more so than ever. And Mendy's fitness has improved to the point he's actually a viable rotation option.

I'd like to see Aké dig deep and try and fight for things if he can. He's a very good player with a lot of potential and importantly he's got a unique set of abilities amongst our CBs or LBs. He should be encouraged by other City players blossoming after difficult spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.