#6 | Nathan Aké - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably wont even be here next season

It made zero sense to sign him, especially for £40m.

It did make sense to sign him. I think most City fans would have agreed at the end of last season that we needed two new centre backs. Ake is just unlucky that Stones sorted his shit out and recaptured his form. Going into the season with Dias and Laporte wasn’t enough, no one predicted Stones to be our first choice centre back for the majority of the season.

It did make sense to sign him. I think most City fans would have agreed at the end of last season that we needed two new centre backs. Ake is just unlucky that Stones sorted his shit out and recaptured his form. Going into the season with Dias and Laporte wasn’t enough, no one predicted Stones to be our first choice centre back for the majority of the season.
but he was never going to be more than 3rd choice at best. Madness to spend £40m on 3rd or 4th choice.

Its just poor usage of money. Sign cheap back up in the 10-20m mark, not every player has to cost 40-60m. City need to wise up at times.

but he was never going to be more than 3rd choice at best. Madness to spend £40m on 3rd or 4th choice.

Its just poor usage of money. Sign cheap back up in the 10-20m mark, not every player has to cost 40-60m. City need to wise up at times.
How do you know that? He’s a quality player and he had every chance of starting the season as our first choice centre back. He hasn’t had a chance to prove himself, so claiming he was always going to be third or fourth choice is wrong IMO.

Mbete/HB/Callum Doyle in no particular order. Really like Doyle. He’s tough, quick and can play out from the back with composure. As you’ve said, 4th choice should go to an academy lad.

Yep - Doyle looks very good too.

We’ll lose these lads if they see no path to the first team - and with Dias at 24 next season, Ake at 26, and both Stones and Laporte at 27, you’d have to say their chances don’t look good.

As long as Laporte decides he’s up for the rotation game at City, I’d see Ake’s role in the squad as more or less redundant - and I’d hate to see us lose our talented kids for the sake of a 4th choice on high wages who never plays!

He's had really shit luck since he got here.

I think he's looked good whenever he's played but the injury put him in a rough spot. During that time Stones came back from the dead and is in the best form of his career...and Ruben Dias has done Ruben Dias things.

At LB where he may have been an option, Zinchenko has come back into the side and played well, and Cancelo has filled in competently there as well.

I guess all this to say that I understand Ake not wanting to be 4th choice CB and 3rd/4th choice LB. So unless Laporte wants out (I hope he doesn't!!) I don't blame him for wanting to move on.

I just hope we don't take a huge loss on him. Any chance to include him in a swap? Does Villa need a CB??

Last edited:
I'm really surprised how many are seemingly so willing to go back to 3 centre backs after making the same catastrophic error 2 seasons ago. All sides have at least 4 CB's.

If we go into the season with 3 CB's, let's say Dias picks up an injury, and one of laporte or stones' form drops off at the same time, all of a sudden were screwed.

We've been really fortunate this season in that area with minimal injuries, it would be completely idiotic to gamble on being lucky again.

I'm really surprised how many are seemingly so willing to go back to 3 centre backs after making the same catastrophic error 2 seasons ago. All sides have at least 4 CB's.

If we go into the season with 3 CB's, let's say Dias picks up an injury, and one of laporte or stones' form drops off at the same time, all of a sudden were screwed.

We've been really fortunate this season in that area with minimal injuries, it would be completely idiotic to gamble on being lucky again.
100% and you didn't even mention possible suspensions. Hopefully with some opportunities for 1 or 2 youngsters who train with the seniors to get some game time where Pep considers appropriate.

Needs to work on his fitness issues & find a solution to his problems ,seems to be his hamstrings more than anything that keep straining .
His body suppleness is more like a 40yr old instead of 26 year old . lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.