#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but why does everyone say this? Why wouldn't you have imagined this when he was in almost identical form for half of last season?
Hes been nowhere near this level of consistency since he joined. This season he has been the player we thought he would / could be. Last season he wasnt a patch on this.

it is stated that the Algeria international is one of the players that Manchester City have 'an intention' to open talks with regarding a new contract, and those club officials will talk about the possibility of a new deal with the player himself and with his agent in the 'coming months'.

Granted I don't watch too much football outside of England....but Based off of form this season I'm struggling to see a better winger in Europe than him right now?

World class talent who is getting big goals in big games

Get him signed up for another year till 2024

it is stated that the Algeria international is one of the players that Manchester City have 'an intention' to open talks with regarding a new contract, and those club officials will talk about the possibility of a new deal with the player himself and with his agent in the 'coming months'.
So an unnamed source allegedly says there‘s a possibility he might talk about staying?

This news could rock the football world to its very foundations.

I have to say i’d been completely underwhelmed by him until recently, after having huge hopes when he signed

just before Christmas was the Nadir, running the ball off the pitch terrible shots into defenders legs when the pass was on, so frustrating.

Since January though the turn around has been unbelievable

When we signed him and we already had that world class front 3, I did feel he was being brought in to unlock defences in tight games and make a difference in the CL, over the moon to see him doing all that and more at the minute. First time i’ve seen him really champing at the bit in a City shirt.

I have to say i’d been completely underwhelmed by him until recently, after having huge hopes when he signed

just before Christmas was the Nadir, running the ball off the pitch terrible shots into defenders legs when the pass was on, so frustrating.

Since January though the turn around has been unbelievable

When we signed him and we already had that world class front 3, I did feel he was being brought in to unlock defences in tight games and make a difference in the CL, over the moon to see him doing all that and more at the minute. First time i’ve seen him really champing at the bit in a City shirt.

I think we were all like that. Undeniable quality but just didn't fit our gameplan. I think he has improved but also that our tactics get the best out of him now.

Previously we were very direct and quick with the ball out wide but Mahrez is more like a Bernardo who will rope players in, tie them in knots and then look to do something. He was quick with the ball for Leicester but given so much space and had Vardy tearing up the ground ahead of him. Quite a different system at City.

The change of system has seen us look to be more patient with the ball and pull people this way and that and he has grown into his role more. But his form has also undoubtedly improved. Rather than ignore a player in a better position or beat two or three players several times before blasting it into row Z he is playing the pass and getting good shots in on goal.

So happy for him. The squad seem to fully support him as well. Even they were seen to be saying FFS before Christmas!

I think we were all like that. Undeniable quality but just didn't fit our gameplan. I think he has improved but also that our tactics get the best out of him now.

Previously we were very direct and quick with the ball out wide but Mahrez is more like a Bernardo who will rope players in, tie them in knots and then look to do something. He was quick with the ball for Leicester but given so much space and had Vardy tearing up the ground ahead of him. Quite a different system at City.

The change of system has seen us look to be more patient with the ball and pull people this way and that and he has grown into his role more. But his form has also undoubtedly improved. Rather than ignore a player in a better position or beat two or three players several times before blasting it into row Z he is playing the pass and getting good shots in on goal.

So happy for him. The squad seem to fully support him as well. Even they were seen to be saying FFS before Christmas!
A fair summation of what has happened to Riyad. There definitely was a period when he divided opinion and to see him come through that is only good for everyone. I myself was very critical at that time because I knew he seemed to be wasting his unbelievable talent.

I make no excuses for being critical at that time - never personal, only based on what went on on the pitch - because he was not playing well and was for a short spell very wasteful & poor. Maybe something happened to make him focus - perhaps something a coach noticed or possibly it was a case of the old adage that class is permanent and form is temporary, but one thing is for sure he has turned it all around and has now rightly cemented his place in the team. His recent form is what all of us hoped for when he joined and a lot of credit is due to him for that.

I doff my cap to him and just hope that he carries on because there is no doubt an in form Mahrez is an asset to any team and he deserves all the accolades he is now enjoying. Sorry for doubting you - it was just frustrating to see a player with God given abilities not pull his tripe out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.