#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe I'm reading Jack Harrison's name in comparison to Sterling again.

Jack Harrison, good player. Would love to have him back and train him up as a left back. But he's an average premier league winger, no more.

I do feel off the ball movement is an under appreciated skill. You can't just coach it to the top level in any player.

You can't just take a decent player and coach them to have a first touch as good as Mahrez's. You can't just take a skilled player and coach them to be as fast as Walker. You can't just take a good player and coach them to have the personality of Dias. You can't just take any player and coach them to spot AND hit a pass like De Bruyne.

You can't just take a technically decent winger and coach them to have the movement of Sterling.

You can definitely coach these things, but without that innate ability it's never going to hit the highs our players have shown.

I do feel off the ball movement is an under appreciated skill. You can't just coach it to the top level in any player.

You can't just take a decent player and coach them to have a first touch as good as Mahrez's. You can't just take a skilled player and coach them to be as fast as Walker. You can't just take a good player and coach them to have the personality of Dias. You can't just take any player and coach them to spot AND hit a pass like De Bruyne.

You can't just take a technically decent winger and coach them to have the movement of Sterling.

You can definitely coach these things, but without that innate ability it's never going to hit the highs our players have shown.
Are you saying you dont believe Pep has significantly improved Sterling's off ball movement in his tenure?

I’m in total agreement that Sterling’s combination of movement and pace is almost unrivaled. Where I think we have the issue is that our game no longer makes use of these attributes to the degree it did when Sterling was in the form of his life, and instead now requires him to do things that he is far less comfortable with far more often

Are you saying you dont believe Pep has significantly improved Sterling's off ball movement in his tenure?
No he's saying Sterling has an excellent natural ability for movement, displayed even at Liverpool. Pep has helped take his movement to another level in recent years. Jack Harrison doesn't have the movement at 24 that Sterling had at 19.

a) No I didn't, that's a leap on your part.

b) That's irrelevant to my point either way. Pep has obviously coached Sterling's movement to be better. But I'd wager he's also coached Mahrez's first touch to be better. But only those players could be coached to hit the heights in those regards that they did.

I know it's not what you believe but maybe you need to give Sterling a bit more credit in this regard.

a) No I didn't, that's a leap on your part.

b) That's irrelevant to my point either way. Pep has obviously coached Sterling's movement to be better. But I'd wager he's also coached Mahrez's first touch to be better. But only those players could be coached to hit the heights in those regards that they did.

I know it's not what you believe but maybe you need to give Sterling a bit more credit in this regard.
I maintain we have a different standpoint and that's fine, after all, it is a forum for discussing views.

You believe Sterling has this, I believe he has that.

I maintain we have a different standpoint and that's fine, after all, it is a forum for discussing views.

You believe Sterling has this, I believe he has that.
But I don't get something. Why is Sterling the only player to showcase the level of movement he has under Pep at City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.