Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if this variant was significantly more contagious, why don't we see it yet in the global data? Worldometer data for Indian subcontinent doesn't show anything alarming. I appreciate that if you looked at the headline data for the UK you would not seen anything yet either but I would have thought we might see increases in the neighbouring states to India on the grounds that they'd see more effects due to travel than anywhere else?
It's a good question, and I'm only speculating, but I seen someone post that in UK terms with the 'Kent Variant' we're only at about October or November 2020 time right now in relation to the 'Indian variant'. If that makes sense? As in, it's been found quickly but if not controlled it may be another month or two before cases properly escalate.

It's a good question, and I'm only speculating, but I seen someone post that in UK terms with the 'Kent Variant' we're only at about October or November 2020 time right now in relation to the 'Indian variant'. If that makes sense? As in, it's been found quickly but if not controlled it may be another month or two before cases properly escalate.
No vaccine then though was there? With continuing vaccination, surge testing, vaccinations for everyone over 18 in some boroughs there’s no need to think it will escalate or cause hospitalisations to anything like the same degree. Huge amount of testing being done now and still looks reasonably stable. We’re hopefully in a completely different place now.
Additionally with the news some of the hospital cases are people who could already have had the vaccine but didn’t it make give the rest locally the kick up the arse they need

No vaccine then though was there? With continuing vaccination, surge testing, vaccinations for everyone over 18 in some boroughs there’s no need to think it will escalate or cause hospitalisations to anything like the same degree. Huge amount of testing being done now and still looks reasonably stable. We’re hopefully in a completely different place now.
Additionally with the news some of the hospital cases are people who could already have had the vaccine but didn’t it make give the rest locally the kick up the arse they need

No you're right, the vaccines are a game changer in so many respects. But, with the transmission rate reportedly up to 50% higher it takes the herd immunity threshold to a higher position too so in turn leaving a lot more people susceptible and more age groups probably requiring vaccination.

@roubaixtuesday @03 March 2002 @Marvin and anyone

I've got a serious anti vax chap, someone who has developed vaccines for years, who is against the current suite. He doesn't advocate zero vaccine just those with vulnerabilities. His argument is based on the following

" I'm concerned that the spike protein of sars-cov-2 is pathogenic. The vaccines either make you produce the spike protein (mRNA) or deliver it (adenovirus). In most it will hopefully be quickly recognised, antibodies produced and a degree of immunity achieved. In some this won't happen, we'll possibly get circulating spike proteins with the ability to cause adverse events related to vascular dysfunction."

I have to admit I'm confused, but I think it looks like too small a sample

@roubaixtuesday @03 March 2002 @Marvin and anyone

I've got a serious anti vax chap, someone who has developed vaccines for years, who is against the current suite. He doesn't advocate zero vaccine just those with vulnerabilities. His argument is based on the following

" I'm concerned that the spike protein of sars-cov-2 is pathogenic. The vaccines either make you produce the spike protein (mRNA) or deliver it (adenovirus). In most it will hopefully be quickly recognised, antibodies produced and a degree of immunity achieved. In some this won't happen, we'll possibly get circulating spike proteins with the ability to cause adverse events related to vascular dysfunction."

I have to admit I'm confused, but I think it looks like too small a sample

Seems highly speculative and nothing to undermine the fundamental that COVID is far higher risk than vaccination; as we've seen with AZ, even very rare events are picked up by monitoring systems.

If there were a sudden uptick in cases of any rare condition, I'm very confident we would know about it, and hundreds of millions of doses of these vaccines have been given.

Fucks sake I'm sure it's never going to end this nightmare because they don't want it to. How do they know what will happen in a month?

They don't know and I suspect that is what is behind that story. I reckon the govt will be regretting coming up with these dates at 5 week intervals although tbf they did stress data not dates at the time but the dates made better news. The mood music now is definite expectation management - much easier to keep expectations low then hopefully exceed them.

Patients down to 946 - it was 39, 248 at the peak on 18 Jan - (fall of 38, 302 in 119 days) :- lowest since 14 September

Ventilators UP 1 to 125 it was 4077 at the peak on 24 Jan - (fall of 3952 in 113 days) : lowest since 17 September

England only:-

ADMISSIONS
:- 70 Covid admissions following 73, 74, 93, 79, 76, 76, 80 in the week before.

As you see daily Covid admission numbers in England under 100 consistently. Indeed 5 of last 6 in the 70s.

Steady as she goes. I'm finding this continued decline in hospitalisations and patient numbers immensely reassuring.

Correct me if im wrong, but im sure I heard in the news that all of the 19people recently admitted to hospital in Bolton and Darwin with indian variant covid were all eligible for the vaccine but had chosen not to have it. If this is true then surely it should be part of the headline news, not a footnote in it.

Perhaps if you decline the offer of a vaccine you should be made to have medical insurance to cover any care you may need if you catch covid. At least then I wont have to pay for these ignorant peoples stupidity.

Seems highly speculative and nothing to undermine the fundamental that COVID is far higher risk than vaccination; as we've seen with AZ, even very rare events are picked up by monitoring systems.

If there were a sudden uptick in cases of any rare condition, I'm very confident we would know about it, and hundreds of millions of doses of these vaccines have been given.
Cheers I appreciate that. I tried that but unfortunately some of the group are rallying behind his long words. It's incredible, I think he's so intelligent so I'm a bit scared some of what he says holds a lot of weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.