Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Sadly neither did, and worse still Walker overlapping (or whatever it was) resulted in their goal.

Players also need to take some responsibility too, they can make changes like that themselves, they don't have to wait for the coach to bring out the whiteboard.

I blame Pep for not playing a DM, and not changing it early enough, but I leave it there.

The players who were out there didn't give enough in general, whereas Chelsea's put every sinew into their performance, whilst a number of ours (some of our biggest names) thought because we won the league easily, a cup final would be easy too, hopefully they've learned something.

Pep wanted an attacking formation, he thought, wrongly as it turned out, that was the change he needed to make against Chelsea.

He did have players in their to cover the DM role and he didn't play anyone in roles that they have not undertaken before. Although plenty want to make the team selection an excuse for the truly tepid performance the team gave, it is simply not an acceptable excuse or reason for that performance.

I'm not here though to hang anyone out to dry but I am bitterly disappointed that the one thing I absolutely didn't want happened and that was the players not doing themselves justice. They need to pull out all the stops next season and rectify the matter.

I just hope all the many millions watching worldwide don't think that's how we have played throughout the season.

It’s still unfathomable to me and I am still bitterly disappointed. Is he some kind of sadist, testing these players in different positions all the time. You could see in the warm-up they were concerned. He drives them too hard, it was really so simple on Saturday, play your best team, simple.
Still fukin seething in the manner we threw it

It’s still unfathomable to me and I am still bitterly disappointed. Is he some kind of sadist, testing these players in different positions all the time. You could see in the warm-up they were concerned. He drives them too hard, it was really so simple on Saturday, play your best team, simple.
And formation!...still fuming!

The strangest thing was that the players that were rested and the system that was working spectacularly well all indicated that the 11 players that we thought would play would indeed be picked. We go through all that only to change it at the last minute, move Gundo back move Foden centrally put Sterling on the wing and leave Fern on the bench. Even if you thought you had seen something at least start with the 11 that were working like a machine and then change it.

This all stems from the time at Bayern where the players persuaded him to play the usual way and lost 4-0 to Real Madrid. He has never forgotten that. He may have been right and we would have lost by a bigger margin playing our usual way but unfortunately I doubt it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.