Avanti Trains (match day travel from the South East)

Cheers for that. Good find. Wish there was a way of finding out likely prices, as I’ll need to make a decision on deferment before then
For the Everton game I stayed over. I paid £31 going up from Euston and it was £35 back, though I did get £8.90 back on delay and repay - well worth registering for. You can almost factor in a bit of a delay. Those were Advance rate tickets, though there may have been some slightly cheaper times to travel than when I went.

For anyone traveling from Sussex /Kent, we run a couple of seven seater cars for all home games the vehicles are used solely for travel to games, two drivers per car so those who travel can have a beer. Anyone interested pm me cheers

For the Everton game I stayed over. I paid £31 going up from Euston and it was £35 back, though I did get £8.90 back on delay and repay - well worth registering for. You can almost factor in a bit of a delay. Those were Advance rate tickets, though there may have been some slightly cheaper times to travel than when I went.
I should have added that was with a Railcard discount

They do not offer cheap fares to be nice to the travellers. Putting up prices at weekends will cost the railways passengers and lose them money. I assume that the absence of discounted fares is due to technical factors and uncertainties over the short term as @staffsblue has already pointed out.

Once things get back to something approaching normality, I expect the saver prices to be restored. Apart from anything else a number of people have shifted from rail to private car during the pandemic. The railways will want to win back this trade. I suppose it will depend if there is a big backlog if maintenance works with weekend closures.

We normally travel from Edinburgh by rail for match days. For the Everton match, the West Coast line was shut north of Carlisle for engineering works and the price to travel East Coast to Manchester via York was ridiculously high. So we ended up driving down and staying overnight.

I find it cheaper and easier to drive from Edinburgh every home game - never stay over.

There’s me and either 3 or 4 kids, so a tank of petrol is far better than the cost for train tickets. That and about 90% of the time we’ve used the train it’s been standing room only and despite having reserved seats, we can’t get anywhere near them until we’re well into Cumbria.

First are going to have to up their game significantly to get us back I’m afraid.

What worries me are the cattle truck conditions on the metro and usually on the stopping train to Crewe on the way home.
Even though l've had the jabs l don't relish being inches away from other people's respiratory intakes/exhausts.

I find it cheaper and easier to drive from Edinburgh every home game - never stay over.

There’s me and either 3 or 4 kids, so a tank of petrol is far better than the cost for train tickets. That and about 90% of the time we’ve used the train it’s been standing room only and despite having reserved seats, we can’t get anywhere near them until we’re well into Cumbria.
I have rarely had to stand on the train from Edinburgh. I use the cunning ploy of buying advanced tickets with free reservation. The only problems tend to occur when the train was broken down and a four-car train replacement arrived instead of eight.

The trains are rarely crowded until we get to Preston (sometimes Lancaster) on the way down. Coming back on Saturday night it is generally crowded at least until Preston but not when travelling back on Sunday or Monday morning.

will travel there and back in a day with a 12:30 or 3:00 start time. Otherwise it is next to impossible. We do like to stay over in Manchester some weeks and go out for a meal. It also means we can have a drink before and/or after the match.

As long as the trains remain disrupted, we will probably continue to drive but hopefully things may be better by the start of the season.

What worries me are the cattle truck conditions on the metro and usually on the stopping train to Crewe on the way home.
Even though l've had the jabs l don't relish being inches away from other people's respiratory intakes/exhausts.
Yes, not sure I fancy the train from South Wales either as that is always rammed both ways. I drive to all evening games and thinking might have to drive for all weekend games as well next season. Will miss having a beer but it is what it is.

I have rarely had to stand on the train from Edinburgh. I use the cunning ploy of buying advanced tickets with free reservation. The only problems tend to occur when the train was broken down and a four-car train replacement arrived instead of eight.

The trains are rarely crowded until we get to Preston (sometimes Lancaster) on the way down. Coming back on Saturday night it is generally crowded at least until Preston but not when travelling back on Sunday or Monday morning.

will travel there and back in a day with a 12:30 or 3:00 start time. Otherwise it is next to impossible. We do like to stay over in Manchester some weeks and go out for a meal. It also means we can have a drink before and/or after the match.

As long as the trains remain disrupted, we will probably continue to drive but hopefully things may be better by the start of the season.

you’re luckier then me, we always have reserved seats but are lucky if we manage to get within 20 yards of them for large parts of the journey, I’ve had kids sat in luggage racks, kids crying because their feet can’t touch the floor because of the crush, on those trains.

Driving is just far less stressful, cheaper and less hassle. Same with Sunday games, it’s a school night so happier with kids in the car sleeping than getting into Waverley at 11 and still then needing to jump on a bus.

I’ve been doing that drive since I moved here 25 years ago for every home game and it’s second nature now.

Yes, not sure I fancy the train from South Wales either as that is always rammed both ways. I drive to all evening games and thinking might have to drive for all weekend games as well next season. Will miss having a beer but it is what it is.
We see the train from Wales flying past so fast that we can't see its full. I was considering going to Crewe, paying full whack from there and getting a train such as the Wales fast train but l am not sure now and l don't know about validity of tickets with the various companies.
Like you l am considering driving for weekend matches but parking presents probs for me and even with the new road the final 20 miles can be a nightmare, more so for midweek matches.
My season ticket is being renewed automatically but will we be allowed full houses with the increase in infections?

Asked on City web site what is the arrangement for fans who no not wish or cannot access the electronic ticket app thingy, will we get a plastic season card? . Waiting for Answer .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.