How well do you know your neighbours/neighbourhood ?

All but one we get on very well with, put each other's bins back after they've been done on bin day, get things for them when we nip to the shops (they're mostly retired and some alone) and always stop to have a chat.

Then there is our adjoining neighbours. The previous ones we got on with just fine, they had kids about the same age as ours and were nice people. These new ones... Well, we're moving house despite being happy here otherwise for almost two decades and being within reach of paying off the mortgage.

They treat the place like a butlins holiday cottage on a lads weekend. Drink and smoke constantly, diy at half eleven at night, and parties until the early house followed by arguments and screaming at each other. She's the worst though, voice like she's gargling diahorrea and only has one volume. Can't close a door without slamming it if her life depended on it, and at weekends you can hear the drunken slurring starting from mid morning. Because they drink so much they're up throughout the night pissing too. And they both in their late 40s or early 50s, behaving like they're on a club 18-30.

One of the neighbours must have reported them for breaking lockdown rules back earlier in the year, which to be fair they absolutely were and didn't hide it, but on a street of mostly over 75s who've either been isolating for a year or actually lost someone to covid-19, was a bit of a thoughtless thing to do. Anyway, they blamed us as we're nearest, called us everything through the walls, woke our kids up with abuse and threats and so on. My little ones were unwilling to leave the house for two days, and when it came to school, ran to the car scared stuff. Funnily enough the twats won't even make eye contact with me, I'm a biggish lad and will defend my family to the end.

They still act like pricks. They leave the dog for days and then when they do get back home kick the poor thing out at night to crap in someone else's garden. When they're not in the dog barks constantly, which I don't mind noise wise but it's a shameful way to treat a pet as they are literally gone for days at a time, heading back for Friday when the drinking, partying and arguing starts all over again. When they do go out the sometimes leave music on for hours maybe forgetful but I think more likely just to wind us up.

Their latest trick is putting their sun loungers to face my 4 year olds bedroom window and just stare in whilst drinking Stella and smoking their weed, pointing west in a south facing garden. My missus has had to stop me acting on that one, putting it down to their mindless idiocy, but he's certainly now on the Jimmy Saville radar in my book.

Thing is,if we did mention it, it could hamper our house move. So let them get on with it and we'll just put some distance between us.

Such a shame though, it's a really lovely street and area and one household is affecting so many. Once we're all moved, if it's still a problem, there might be something to be done of the other neighbours still feel it is a problem.

They're all rags near me, so it's been very quiet the last few years. I nod and say hello but definitely don't want to be any friendlier than that. Some real weirdos (but harmless I suspect) and some nice ones.

Out of a dozen or so houses on the street, only 1 has changed owners in the last 20 years so not likely to change much. It's quite nice really.

All but one we get on very well with, put each other's bins back after they've been done on bin day, get things for them when we nip to the shops (they're mostly retired and some alone) and always stop to have a chat.

Then there is our adjoining neighbours. The previous ones we got on with just fine, they had kids about the same age as ours and were nice people. These new ones... Well, we're moving house despite being happy here otherwise for almost two decades and being within reach of paying off the mortgage.

They treat the place like a butlins holiday cottage on a lads weekend. Drink and smoke constantly, diy at half eleven at night, and parties until the early house followed by arguments and screaming at each other. She's the worst though, voice like she's gargling diahorrea and only has one volume. Can't close a door without slamming it if her life depended on it, and at weekends you can hear the drunken slurring starting from mid morning. Because they drink so much they're up throughout the night pissing too. And they both in their late 40s or early 50s, behaving like they're on a club 18-30.

One of the neighbours must have reported them for breaking lockdown rules back earlier in the year, which to be fair they absolutely were and didn't hide it, but on a street of mostly over 75s who've either been isolating for a year or actually lost someone to covid-19, was a bit of a thoughtless thing to do. Anyway, they blamed us as we're nearest, called us everything through the walls, woke our kids up with abuse and threats and so on. My little ones were unwilling to leave the house for two days, and when it came to school, ran to the car scared stuff. Funnily enough the twats won't even make eye contact with me, I'm a biggish lad and will defend my family to the end.

They still act like pricks. They leave the dog for days and then when they do get back home kick the poor thing out at night to crap in someone else's garden. When they're not in the dog barks constantly, which I don't mind noise wise but it's a shameful way to treat a pet as they are literally gone for days at a time, heading back for Friday when the drinking, partying and arguing starts all over again. When they do go out the sometimes leave music on for hours maybe forgetful but I think more likely just to wind us up.

Their latest trick is putting their sun loungers to face my 4 year olds bedroom window and just stare in whilst drinking Stella and smoking their weed, pointing west in a south facing garden. My missus has had to stop me acting on that one, putting it down to their mindless idiocy, but he's certainly now on the Jimmy Saville radar in my book.

Thing is,if we did mention it, it could hamper our house move. So let them get on with it and we'll just put some distance between us.

Such a shame though, it's a really lovely street and area and one household is affecting so many. Once we're all moved, if it's still a problem, there might be something to be done of the other neighbours still feel it is a problem.

It only takes one shite family sometimes to ruin a street. What area is this this, if you don't mind me asking?

We still rent at the moment. Took me ages and ages to find somewhere suitable to move out; the rental market is shit. We were living in a terrace in a bad area, weed dealers and long-term DSS as neighbours; I was the only bloke on the street up early working, the rest were up til the early hours drinking and shouting including the oldens. It was where my girlfriend lived, she was on her own grafting and all she could afford at the time.

We now live on a street where the average age is about 80yo, our neighbour one side is 95, bit of a nosey bugger but I have some good chats with him to keep his head ticking over. Family the other side in their 50s, they mind their own business. Lad and his wife opposite in their 80s, he's always doing something in his workshop, brings the whole street's bins in on bin day and brings me tools over when he sees me doing the garden and DIY.

I'm gonna keep saving that little bit extra in order to buy a detached house. Some might say that's a stupid idea as first purchase, but you are only as good as the neighbours you share a wall with. We have had some fucking horrendous experiences in flats, terraces and semis. Not going through it again, home should be your castle where you can switch off.

I'm very lucky with my neighbours. When the first lockdown was introduced the young couple on one side put a note through my door with their mobile numbers and said if I ever needed anything from the shops or just a chat to contact them. (Both Trafford United supporters!)
The one on the other side sent me a text saying similar. He has my mobile number because I look after his cat when he goes away and he keeps an eye on my house when I go away. (not that either of us has been away recently!!!)
The neighbours across from me are also friendly we have a chat when we see each other and I know that if I needed anything I could contact them as well.
One of the neighbours across from me is 91 and still very active but we all keep an eye out for him. About a month ago he was up a ladder cleaning out his gutters!! I was ready to text his daughter because I know he had a fall in the house just before the first lockdown. But he got down safely and I told her next time I saw her.
So we may not be the popping in for a cuppa types anymore but we are friendly. :-)

Rural communities are hard to break into. Everyone around here has known each other for years, plus we're only renting so I don't feel too bad about not knowing the neighbours so well. The lad next door is alright though. There's an old lady over the road and her son lives in land behind the house in a caravan, with an estranged wife and his two sons living two houses down. We had only been here a few months and the old ladies husband died - we made the cultural faux pas of not going to the funeral and attitudes towards us have been a little frostier since those times.

My cousin lives in N Berwick and knows loads of people. Helps he's right on the beach but every time we go there there appears to be a good social scene going on.
That's a beautiful part of the world. Had some good times staying at Craigieview/Beach House.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.