Is Manchester a tough place to live in?

Of those three, I've only been to Madrid, and Manchester is a much more interesting place.

Even the weather is a mixed blessing - Sure it's lovely to sit out late at night having a drink, but it can be hell to work in, and you have to adapt to avoiding the heat just as much as we adapt to avoiding the rain.

When you add in the countryside that closely surrounds Manchester, I'd choose it over Madrid every time.
I lived in Madrid and found it superior in every way to Manchester (for me anyway). I am not including weather as that isn't exactly Madrid's strong point!

Lovely countryside, mountains and towns around Madrid as well.

We're all different and we all like different things. Manchester wouldn't feature anywhere on my list of places to live but the places I love wouldn't be to everybody's tastes either. Horses for courses I guess.

Last edited:
Whilst retaining my Mcr ghetto residence I have at various times lived and worked in
Dublin
Cork
Baku
Dehli
Bangalore
Paris
I can confirm for all the champions of the manchester cultural landscape that they all have what we have....apart from high level football. Incidentally the Opera/ Ballet / chess scenes in Baku are far superior.

If Madrid/Lisbon/Buenos Aries had damp weather for 9 months of the year you would be saying the opposite.

The weather plays a huge part in what a place is like, it’s easy to get confused when analysing a city.
Weather affects the whole way of life. What you can do, when you can do it and for how long. Far from being confusing, it‘s a major part of the equation. How can you set it aside?

Whilst retaining my Mcr ghetto residence I have at various times lived and worked in
Dublin
Cork
Baku
Dehli
Bangalore
Paris
I can confirm for all the champions of the manchester cultural landscape that they all have what we have....apart from high level football. Incidentally the Opera/ Ballet / chess scenes in Baku are far superior.
I can believe that, particularly as most are capital cities. I don't think anyone would argue that Manchester is some kind of pinnacle.

It may well depend on what you enjoy - For example, a quick look on Songkick lists 108 events for Cork, 636 for Dublin, and 1672 for Manchester. I lived in London for years, and there's arguably nowhere in the world that could match it in terms of cultural experiences, but I prefer Manchester, which has enough to keep most people busy 8 nights a week, with a significantly better cost of living and superior countryside.

It's all a trade off, but there's no way that it's a tough place to live, unless you really do worship very hot, or very cold weather (and a lot of people from very hot/cold places don't love their climate either).

It’s partly an income thing. The richer you are, the fewer the trade-offs you are generally prepared to make.

I had an Italian waiter bro-in-law from Rome. When I asked WTF he was doing in Manchester, shit weather and all, he explained how corrupt it was (then) in Italy to secure certain jobs. No doubt there were other factors but the point is he did the personal equation and made his choice.

Now assume he was minted and recognised the world over. People fighting to offer him a juicy contract. Would he have made the same choice and put down roots in Bury? Possibly, but less likely.

Being rich allows you to filter out lots of shit that concerns Joe Public. So you can then go for what appears to be the El Dorado option: sun-baked days, lush scenery, a lovely pad overlooking a lake, maybe a nice yacht.

I can believe that, particularly as most are capital cities. I don't think anyone would argue that Manchester is some kind of pinnacle.

It may well depend on what you enjoy - For example, a quick look on Songkick lists 108 events for Cork, 636 for Dublin, and 1672 for Manchester. I lived in London for years, and there's arguably nowhere in the world that could match it in terms of cultural experiences, but I prefer Manchester, which has enough to keep most people busy 8 nights a week, with a significantly better cost of living and superior countryside.

It's all a trade off, but there's no way that it's a tough place to live, unless you really do worship very hot, or very cold weather (and a lot of people from very hot/cold places don't love their climate either).
Nicely put. As Mancunian born bread and buttered ( Ancoats...although that makes me an Anc rather than a manc)...i have a fondness for the city which is probably based on nostalgia...I dislike the new skyscaping which is out of context in a tight brick street scape....we are simply aping London.....we should have retained our identity.
Not really arsed about how rough/tough it is....lets face it ....it has been worse in recent history....but I will be getting out before i retire as the city centre is now predominately based on young culture....apart from that...all the stone cold ;mancs' i know have departed.

I could not imagine living somewhere hot all the time. i am sweating my arse off today and cant wait to get home and shower.

I could not imagine living somewhere hot all the time. i am sweating my arse off today and cant wait to get home and shower.
can't wait?..theres a little gaff on Gt Ancoats street....up the stairs...they will sort you out no bother.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.