All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

I've had a look at the top 1000 list online and whilst there are some good selections in there, I don''t understand how stuff like this last album got in. I thought that it was a combination of votes from respected music journalists, fans etc. As noted, Euphoria wouldn't get in a Def Leppard top 5 vote, so it's very odd.

I think the key thing here is that the list was compiled in the year 2000, so there must be some recency bias built in. On this basis, when @BlueHammer rolls the dice, I think he should be discounting anything after 1995. We've had 2 albums from 1999 in the first 4 (and I don't remember any great albums from that year anyway).

I've had a look at the top 1000 list online and whilst there are some good selections in there, I don''t understand how stuff like this last album got in. I thought that it was a combination of votes from respected music journalists, fans etc. As noted, Euphoria wouldn't get in a Def Leppard top 5 vote, so it's very odd.

I think the key thing here is that the list was compiled in the year 2000, so there must be some recency bias built in. On this basis, when @BlueHammer rolls the dice, I think he should be discounting anything after 1995. We've had 2 albums from 1999 in the first 4 (and I don't remember any great albums from that year anyway).
I won't quibble in any way, shape or form with @BlueHammer85's way of going about this, nor in any of his other lists, nearly all of which I've participated in. However, the core list isn't a critics' compilation but a combination of votes from fans (or so says the wiki). Therefore, the list is not only recency-biased, but also lowest-common-denominator-biased. What's popular and been pushed by the global music publishing houses through exposure and airplay (since 2000 was before the age of Spotify) makes up a substantial portion of the list, not necessarily records that received universal critical acclaim. In other words -- there's a LOT of shite on this list that was panned by critics but is on this list because customers are fans of the (usually popular) artist -- like, e.g., Def Leppard.

Last edited:
The Only things memorable about Def Leppard are stone wash jeans and mullets.

Shite
Hahahahaha you could say that for a lot of 80’s rock bands,this album is piss poor where as pyromania and hysteria are very good,although if it’s not your thing then its not your thing,bit like rap music or thrash metal what’s the point of it ..

Euphoria - 5/10

Not great. Passable melodic rock but not something I'd listen to again,
I quite liked a lot of 80s rock - Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Europe, Dare, Dan Reed Network - and although I liked Def Leppard's Hysteria, even that wasn't up with the best of the genre for me. But this offering is pretty poor for the most part.
Dan Reed Network - seen them live !! Good too

I won't quibble in any way, shape or form with @BlueHammer85's way of going about this, nor in any of his other lists, nearly all of which I've participated in. However, the core list isn't a critics' compilation but a combination of votes from fans (or so says the wiki). Therefore, the list is not only recency-biased, but also lowest-common-denominator-biased. What's popular and been pushed by the global music publishing houses through exposure and airplay (since 2000 was before the age of Spotify) makes up a substantial portion of the list, not necessarily records that received universal critical acclaim. In other words -- there's a LOT of shite on this list that was panned by critics but is on this list because customers are fans of the (usually popular) artist -- like, e.g., Def Leppard.
These list give us all something to moan about. We need to moan about something!! Makes life more interesting.
So yeah, there's some CRAP in that list. Apparently Phil Collins's Face Value is better than Heroes by Bowie. All a matter of taste, i suppose.

The top 10 is abhorrent..........

...and the Second Coming by the Stone Roses is considered 621 places better than Pills N Thrills and Bellyaches by Happy Mondays. That's just silly.

These list give us all something to moan about. We need to moan about something!! Makes life more interesting.
So yeah, there's some CRAP in that list. Apparently Phil Collins's Face Value is better than Heroes by Bowie. All a matter of taste, i suppose.
Left field guess here.
Don’t suppose Phil Collins (RIP) wrote a song about missing his ex wife ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.