How is everyone coping?

How is everyone coping with this European trip to Porto....personally it’s nearly done me in, still stressed to the ceiling regarding tickets, tests, forms and anything else you care to mention.

Be interested to hear how people are coping, I feel a bit better having just penned the following

“An ode to Malcolm”

In ‘68 Big Mal had cried, Europe will be terrified
Soon the dream had all but died, they said Big Mal had fuckin lied.

The Kippax Street didn’t give a fuck as next we won the FA Cup

When Sheikh Mansour took us over, promised us Guardiola
Pep declared the wait is over we’re all feeling glad all over

So it’s off to Porto on Saturday night
To finally prove
........................BIG MAL was RIGHT.................
There is a lot of organising for the trip , try writing it down in order what you have to do day by day , it will help, promise

I finally referred myself to occupational health just over a week ago,still haven't heard from them yet.
I asked for a private meeting with an HR woman who had attended a work meeting last week,she agreed ,but she too has not contacted me after she said she would,i ended up contacting her and her excuse for not contacting me was " her mobile has been playing up " !

Struggling at the minute can feel myself sinking down again.
My work has changed so much from grass cutting, flower beds etc to just picking up peoples shit. Contestant litter picking, or picking up fly tipping, or trying to remove the graffiti, jet washing the pavements. This wasnt what I was told at the interview 4 years ago
I was taken on because of my experience of turf and flowers etc ( ex head greenkeeper )
One member of staff is untouchable and does what ever they want, all they do is litter pick, no heavy manual work always on her phone. No strimming, no jet washing, no plot clearly. We are meant to be equal. She is 8 yrs younger than but I still do all this type of work. It's not fair. But when I made a complaint I was told I was being sexist, even though she and I are employed to do the same job on the same terms.
I have to hold back my tears which are never far from my face.
I am have pains in chest , feels like a bloody heart attack I guess !.
I am under test for that ,plus high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

I am 100% its work that's causing the problem, but I think any work would 44 years of manual work has taken its toll.

I just feel like say fuck it and just walking away, but in reality I cant do that, I need to pay my pvt rent.

I am trying to get an appointment with the docs, I have turned down using pills in the past. Going down the 'hippie' route and meditation. Hasnt worked.

Work are being very supported, and have said not to worry about time off etc, they will pay me. Which is fantastic, but than that makes me feel bad that someone cares that much about me !. My head is screwed. They know I am unhappy with the change in work. In fact the HR ladys was furious that I did 7 hrs litter pick in hot weather on my own the other day. She is looking into ways of using my expertise properly and not littering picking the streets. Also told her that any heavy lifting working its always me and the two young lads.

I have always been a person who likes to have something to look forward to , like a birthday party, a holiday, coming to Manchester for a match. For 18 months now that hasnt happen. Nothing to look forward to.

Hopefully I can to see the dic within the next few days.

That's enough of me sitting in the works car park guess I need to leave my happy place and cross the line to work.

Sorry for my aimless rambling.

Last edited:
My work has changed so much from grass cutting, flower beds etc to just picking up peoples shit. Contestant litter picking, or picking up fly tipping, or trying to remove the graffiti, jet washing the pavements. This wasnt what I was told at the interview 4 years ago
I was taken on because of my experience of turf and flowers etc ( ex head greenkeeper )
One member of staff is untouchable and does what ever they want, all they do is litter pick, no heavy manual work always on her phone. No strimming, no jet washing, no plot clearly. We are meant to be equal. She is 8 yrs younger than but I still do all this type of work. It's not fair. But when I made a complaint I was told I was being sexist, even though she and I are employed to do the same job on the same terms.

I am 100% its work that's causing the problem, but I think any work would 44 years of manual work has taken its toll.

I just feel like say fuck it and just walking away, but in reality I cant do that, I need to pay my pvt rent.

I am trying to get an appointment with the docs, I have turned down using pills in the past. Going down the 'hippie' route and meditation. Hasnt worked.

Work are being very supported, and have said not to worry about time off etc, they will pay me. Which is fantastic, but than that makes me feel bad that someone cares that much about me !. My head is screwed. They know I am unhappy with the change in work. In fact the HR ladys was furious that I did 7 hrs litter pick in hot weather on my own the other day. She is looking into ways of using my expertise properly and not littering picking the streets. Also told her that any heavy lifting working its always me and the two young lads.

I have always been a person who likes to have something to look forward to , like a birthday party, a holiday, coming to Manchester for a match. For 18 months now that hasnt happen. Nothing to look forward to.

That's enough of me sitting in the works car park guess I need to leave my happy and cross the line to work.

It's not aimless at all :) that's what the thread is here for

That's enough of me sitting in the works car park guess I need to leave my happy place and cross the line to work.

Sorry to hear about this mate. You sounds like you have depression. See the doctor and tell them everything and don't discount any option, especially medication. I saw first hand how it improved both my wife and my father.

Hang in there mate. Work is work. challenge yourself mentally and give head space to something else....something new.

What you are going through is what many are going through too, if that's any solace.
You sound like you should:-
A.See a Doctor and repeat what you have written.

And then,

B. Request a meeting with your employers and again reiterate your concerns and grievances.

All the very best.

Welcome to the modern day, that's going to be common place with those sorts of colleagues so I would just accept they have a different privilege in life and focus on yourself, how you can get more from your job and make it fairer on you.

If work are being supportive then it's an opportunity for you to make suggestions for changes to your own job remit, focusing on your tasks, responsibilities etc. Don't bring other people into it and point fingers with them, just say you've been doing all of this additional work, it's having detrimental health effects and ultimately if it isn't nipped in the bud it could lead to longer term complications and I don't want to be off work. "I came because I was offered a job based on my expertise and I was enthusiastic about doing that job and as my record shows I've be diligent, worked above and beyond and picked up additional tasks not under my original remit. I want to continue working with you but if my health continues to decline I've spoken to my doctors and they'll have no option but to write me off sick till I can recover". It shows you're willing, being constructive about a future working for them but highlighting how they'll lose out on someone who works that hard if they don't treat you fairly.

Just think of little things you enjoy or that will help you relieve a little bit of that stress/anxiety. Ultimately, if you keep worrying about other people taking the piss then you're only adding to your own stress and you've seen the reaction you'll get, so as hard as it is the only thing you can control is you and making your life better and including the things you enjoy. Worrying about other people like that only adds to your stress and you can't change it, so there's no point letting it bother you other than not allowing yourself to be used anymore and working towards improvements and changes that benefit you. Live your life and put yourself in the best position to maximise the opportunities/enjoyment when things do open up.

Keep batting everyone. Been a horrible year and a half but thankfully most people seem to just about staying sane. Think its the not knowing when it is going to be largely over that is driving everyone insane.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.