My new dog

Any tips on using a cage for your dog in the house, never used them for my other dogs but I’m thinking to stop any destructiveness and at night whilst we are in bed then it maybe best to have one this time until it’s a lot older.
If you do get any trouble overnight, put a t-shirt in with the dog. A worn one. Arthur stayed close to the missus on the first night so she left her top in with him. Not a peep.

So many heartwarming posts that have brought a smile to my face, this morning.

Any tips on using a cage for your dog in the house, never used them for my other dogs but I’m thinking to stop any destructiveness and at night whilst we are in bed then it maybe best to have one this time until it’s a lot older.
Start slowly by chucking a few treats in it so the dog gets used to going and out. Encourage sleeping in it by putting him in when he settles in for a nap in the day. Make it cosy by covering it on 3 sides with a blanket and put toys inside. This makes it a nice place to be rather than a punishment. Start slowly, close the door for 2 mins, then later 5. Next day 10 and so on. Within a week he will hopefully be going in of his own accord for a rest. If he barks and performs, ignore him. When he goes in and out dont make a fuss, just make it normal. As someone else said, wear an old tshirt for a few days and then put that in the crate if you are going out

I don't believe in putting dogs in cages,FFS

Start slowly by chucking a few treats in it so the dog gets used to going and out. Encourage sleeping in it by putting him in when he settles in for a nap in the day. Make it cosy by covering it on 3 sides with a blanket and put toys inside. This makes it a nice place to be rather than a punishment. Start slowly, close the door for 2 mins, then later 5. Next day 10 and so on. Within a week he will hopefully be going in of his own accord for a rest. If he barks and performs, ignore him. When he goes in and out dont make a fuss, just make it normal. As someone else said, wear an old tshirt for a few days and then put that in the crate if you are going out

This works and if done correctly, the dog will learn to enjoy the space. We would only ever put ours in overnight now but during the day we leave the crate door open and sometimes we even find he takes himself in there to chill out, despite having the pick of two couches and his own bed to lie on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.