Czech Republic v England | Euro 2020 Group Stage

Why is anybody annoyed at what Neville said? He's absolutely correct, Foden didn't do any of that first two games, not really his fault as he's been played out of position and following shit tactics but it's still true.
Come on FFS. Saka was lively for spells in 1st half but nothing special. Don't get drawn into the hype. Leaving Foden out would be criminal and thats not me being biased .

Looked decent enough tonight, still not quite there though. Kane awful
And how did France play against Hungary ?

Spain.. drab draws v Sweden and Poland

Not many play such amazing attacking football in tournament football, recent Euro winners Portugal were Terrible and they won the thing , same for Greece.

international football is often tight, uneventful and defensive because so much is riding on it.

so far we’ve had one poor performance v Scotland and 2 good performances against Czech and World Cup finalists Croatia.

I’m not expecting us to win the Euros. Absolutely not. But the constant negativity against England and slagging off at players is more tiring than watching any England game.

The hate the England team get is absolutely bizarre. I enjoyed the game tonight, even if we're still not 100%.

Southgate has got England playing turgid ultra defensive football and sets the team up not to lose rather than go out to win which considering the attacking options we have is absolutely criminal.

Now that's all well and good against mid level teams and to get out of the group but from now on its knock out football and we will be coming up against quality opposition.

Southgate won't change the system to go more attacking he'll setup in excalty the same way and if we go a goal behind I have zero faith he'll change it up. Whoever we play next round I think we'll get comfortably beaten.

You have to remember your on a City forum and we haven't seen football like this since the Pearce days. It's painful to watch

Yes. You have been spoiled!
But previous tournament winners have shown that’s how you often win tournaments

I think most managers in the world set up with 2 defensive mids then the 3 behind a lone striker.
I don’t see that as negative.

I think at International football it’s just very hard to get the same fluidity that you get from the Prem, simply because players are not used to each other - rather than the managers input tactically.

Yes. You have been spoiled!
But previous tournament winners have shown that’s how you often win tournaments

I think most managers in the world set up with 2 defensive mids then the 3 behind a lone striker.
I don’t see that as negative.

I think at International football it’s just very hard to get the same fluidity that you get from the Prem, simply because players are not used to each other - rather than the managers input tactically.
I said earlier on the thread they could Greece their way to the title.

You'd be happy with that as winning it will be remembered more than how they got there to win it.

Not many play such amazing attacking football in tournament football, recent Euro winners Portugal were Terrible and they won the thing , same for Greece.

international football is often tight, uneventful and defensive because so much is riding on it.

so far we’ve had one poor performance v Scotland and 2 good performances against Czech and World Cup finalists Croatia.

I’m not expecting us to win the Euros. Absolutely not. But the constant negativity against England and slagging off at players is more tiring than watching any England game.
To be honest I think the biggest factor is that the English-based players are shattered after one of the toughest ever domestic seasons. I would not criticise any of the players and think this is the best squad England have had for many years. My issue is with Southgate's defensive style. There have been plenty of attractive international teams in recent years. You can't compare Portugal and France with Greece.
I also get your point about negativity. But England have been boring for decades now (apart from Euro 96 and the odd match) and that has to be a cultural problem because English club football is fantastic to watch. I think the fans deserve more.

I think England will be the underdog in the next match and that is a helpful benefit.

And that defensive setup could be perfect against FRA or POR, who look for counters and won't get ANY. Walker agrees.

ET and penalties come in as additional options.

Germany though is a bit more adventurous and would even like to play at Wembley, in all respect of course.

The difference is the sides you mention, while having their own shit moments, have another gear to go up and often produce when the chips are down. England stumble and stutter through and that is our top gear, so when we meet a better team we're. fucked.

We've had three poor performances but won two, just and drawn one, as I said in a later post I guess you have to give credit for that.

It's the moaning that makes watching England bearable. We should always qualify for tournaments because the odds are stacked heavily in the top teams favour. It's what we do when we get there that's the moot point. We now have a great crop of exciting, technically gifted young players. This tournament is probably too soon for them to win it but we should be seeing signs of real progress in style and substance but we're not really

Might have missed it but something up with Stones?

He looked pretty knackered for 5 or so minutes before he was subbed to be fair.
He’d made two sixty yard dribbles in quick succession. Not sure if he was subbed because he was knackered or that Southgate wanted his defenders to stay home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.