Reading Challenge 2021

Just finished "The Tooth Fairy". Graham Joyce. 8/10
So far I've read 5 by Graham Joyce (inc. this one) and quite like everything I've encountered. I really should read more. It's a shame he's no longer with us.

Personal reading update: Finally finished Mythos by Stephen Fry (took me more than a month and a half). Little vignettes of the Greek gods and associated beings. While it's informative, fun and digestible it's also very easy to put down and do something else. Also, because there's so many characters it's easy to forget who's done what. Very comprehensive as it covers the time from creation to King Midas.

There's a couple of reasons for my next selection. I wanted to re-ignite my love of just sitting and reading again so thought returning to an old favourite would help with this. Also there's 2 new books in the series (vol.16 & 17) released this year (really 1 book split into 2 parts) so wanted to do a read through to refresh my memory of how things stand in the Dresden universe. My plan is/was to read maybe 4 a month until the paperback of the 2nd new release drops in October. Ploughed through Storm Front and Fool Moon in two days so not sure if I'll stick to that though.

Last edited:
Once I learned to read as a child I was quite an avid reader. One of the first books I remember having a big impact on me as a young teen was a Clockwork orange, by Anthony Burgess. I only bought it because of the furore surrounding the film of the same name. As I was too young to go and watch it I bought the book. It was way ahead of its time, even more so considering it was first written in 1962. Burgess also grew up in Manchester as a child. I was gutted when Kubrick, disturbed by the violence the film was responsible for in real life, banned it from cinemas. I didn't get to watch it years later after Kubrick's death when it was shown again. An interesting write up on the book here

When I went away to sea at the age of 17 reading was my big form of escapism. This was in the days before video's and the internet so reading was a great pastime. I read his hundreds of books but remember very few sadly. One I do remember was Papillon. Reading about his tough life on Devils island made my so called tough life at sea more bearable. I thought if he can survive that I can survive this.

I'll try and remember others I have read, but these two stick in my memory for different reasons.
Sadly they reckon only 10% of the book is true.As Papillon seemingly was a great story teller.
The book about his life after his freedom,Banco was a great read as well.
Still both books are well worth reading.

Half way through this.
Really enjoying it
The search for a long lost Caravaggio painting The Taking of Christ.
A good old adventure all over Europe in trying to find the painting.

Attachments

• 27398.jpg
    27398.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 9
Great thread and I’ve just downloaded a sample of The Thursday Murder Club thanks to @BimboBob ’s recommendation.

So far this year I’ve read:
  • Golf is not a game of perfect - Bob Rotella 9/10 for golfers
  • What the hell did I just read - David Wong (book 3 in the John Dies at the End series - very funny) 8/10
  • The Reversal - Michael Connelly (book 3 in The Lincoln Lawyer series. It’s ok but he’s running out of ideas with that series) 7/10
  • Accidental Hitman - A W Wilson 7.5/10
  • Horrorstor- Grady Hendrix (not bad) 7/10
  • Sooley - John Grisham (meh) 7/10
  • The Dispatcher - John Scalzi (very enjoyable) 8/10
  • Futuristic Violence in Fancy Suits - David Wong (he’s a very funny author but this isn’t as good as his series mentioned above) 7.5/10
  • The Trident Deception - Rick Campbell (very Clancyesque) 8.6/10
  • Empire Rising - Rick Campbell (hmmm got a bit samey) 7/10

I’ll see what this murder club is like and report back.

Last edited:
I’ve been an avid reader for many years and have viewed this thread a few times and felt it was time I chipped in!

I tend to read mainly fiction, typically thrillers and historical fiction - the last 10 books I have read are;
  1. Absolution - Caro Ramsey
  2. The Burning Men - Will Shindler
  3. The Killing Choice - Will Shindler
  4. Fatal Isles - Maria Adolfsson
  5. The Defence - Steve Cavanagh
  6. Hamnet - Maggie O’Farrell
  7. The Institute - Stephen King
  8. 9 & 10 - the last 3 books in The Lincoln Lawyer series by Michael Connolly
I’m often on the hunt for new books/authors and on the basis of recommends on this site I have ordered The Dry and Force of Nature by Jane Harper as well as The Lost Painting by Jonathan Hart.

Some recommends for anyone interested;

Thrillers

The Department Q series by Jussi Adler-Olsen

Historical Fiction

If you like CJ Sansom can also recommend S J Parris (Giordano Bruno series) and Rory Clements (John Shakespeare series)

For anyone who uses an e-reader I can recommend site bookbub.com. On this site you can set your reading preferences and receive a regular email of ebooks at bargain prices.

I just remembered the series of Sven Hassel books.about a Dane who ended up fighting on the Russian front in a German penal battalion. While highlighting the futile brutality of war the books are highly entertaining due to the crazy characters who fought alongside him.

Remember them from the late 60s - didn't realise he wrote over such a long period.
I always remember the character who had the ability to fast to order such as when an officer had just said something ridiculous. A talent l would have loved at various stages of my life. Portia seems to ring a bell although it's a female name.

Remember them from the late 60s - didn't realise he wrote over such a long period.
I always remember the character who had the ability to fast to order such as when an officer had just said something ridiculous. A talent l would have loved at various stages of my life. Portia seems to ring a bell although it's a female name.

Yes Porta was the character, the rebel. He wore a top hat, monocle and loved good coffee. The old man was the leader, then there was tiny the biggest of the group.

I’ve been an avid reader for many years and have viewed this thread a few times and felt it was time I chipped in!

I tend to read mainly fiction, typically thrillers and historical fiction - the last 10 books I have read are;
I’m often on the hunt for new books/authors and on the basis of recommends on this site I have ordered The Dry and Force of Nature by Jane Harper as well as The Lost Painting by Jonathan Hart.

Thrillers

Historical Fiction

If you like CJ Sansom can also recommend S J Parris (Giordano Bruno series) and Rory Clements (John Shakespeare series)

For anyone who uses an e-reader I can recommend site bookbub.com. On this site you can set your reading preferences and receive a regular email of ebooks at bargain now

Thrillers

Historical Fiction

For anyone who uses an e-reader I can recommend site bookbub.com. On this site you can set your reading preferences and receive a regular email of ebooks at bargain prices.
Not long finished The Institute and reading The Outsider now

Yes Porta was the character, the rebel. He wore a top hat, monocle and loved good coffee. The old man was the leader, then there was tiny the biggest of the group.
It all comes back now. Some of his books are available on Amazon so l might have a nostalgic re read. No doubt l will see them with very different eyes now than as a young squaddie with that crew of anti-heroes.

If l read more Scandinavian authors with Hassel joining the Nordic Noir stuff l already read and watch l should qualify for a complimentary tall willowy blonde.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.