Reading Challenge 2021

Richard Osman would weep tears of inadequacy if he read a book like "The Lies of Locke Lamora".
Not really mate. There’s a few of you that seem to forget that there are different genres and people fancy reading different books and writing styles from time to time.

I’m a huge history buff, I’m a war buff, I love my physics books, I love the classics, I love my spy novels, my Grisham-esque courtroom classics. I love Fitzgerald, Twain and Tolstoy along with King, Hubbard and Hornby.

In much the same way that it’s possible to enjoy both The Shawshank Redemption and The Hangover, it’s possible to genuinely enjoy reading both Tolstoy and Osman. Sadly for someone that started this thread, your posts in it following my mini review of a book The Thursday Murder Club suggest you think such books and writers are beneath you and this thread is in danger of disappearing up its own arsehole which is a real shame as I love the idea of it.

Not really mate. There’s a few of you that seem to forget that there are different genres and people fancy reading different books and writing styles from time to time.

I’m a huge history buff, I’m a war buff, I love my physics books, I love the classics, I love my spy novels, my Grisham-esque courtroom classics. I love Fitzgerald, Twain and Tolstoy along with King, Hubbard and Hornby.

In much the same way that it’s possible to enjoy both The Shawshank Redemption and The Hangover, it’s possible to genuinely enjoy reading both Tolstoy and Osman. Sadly for someone that started this thread, your posts in it following my mini review of a book The Thursday Murder Club suggest you think such books and writers are beneath you and this thread is in danger of disappearing up its own arsehole which is a real shame as I love the idea of it.
Sorry if I gave you that impression. My last post was for comic effect - never miss the chance for a good put down.
I don't think any book is beneath me (I wouldn't dream of reading Tolstoy, it'd probably be way too deep for me and I've tried Twain but couldn't get into it), and you'll note that I made it clear that Richard Osman's book isn't terrible, it's just that I didn't like the writing. As I said in my review further up the thread: "Short sentences with a full stop every 10 words or so with no attempt to make it sound interesting."

Anyway, apologies if I've offended anybody, or some feel that I've derailed the thread because it certainly wasn't my intention.

Last edited:
Sorry if I gave you that impression. My last post was for comic effect - never miss the chance for a good put down.
I don't think any book is beneath me (I wouldn't dream of reading Tolstoy, it'd probably be way too deep for me and I've tried Twain but couldn't get into it), and you'll note that I made it clear that Richard Osman's book isn't terrible, it's just that I didn't like the writing. As I said in my review further up the thread: "Short sentences with a full stop every 10 words or so with no attempt to make it sound interesting."

Anyway, apologies if I've offended anybody, or some feel that I've derailed the thread because it certainly wasn't my intention.
Yeah mate, no need to apologise, moving halfway across the world this afternoon and was posting as a grumpy cûnt this morning.

I'm currently on part 2 of Les Miserables. I feel your pain.
Haha. Les Miserables is one of my favourite books. I read it decades ago. I recall the section on the Thernardiers, which must have been more than 200 pages long. Almost a book within a book. But it had very little relevance to the rest of the story, other than to paint that family as a gang of disreputable villains. It could have been covered in a chapter.

However, I persevered, and I'm glad I did. And who am I to question the writing of such a fine author as Victor Hugo.

A little misunderstanding between you two, I think. Glad it's resolved.

Some of these off topic threads are for me, the most enjoyable on Bluemoon. I really enjoy sharing with others about reading, or running, music, holidays, investment etc.

My favourite book of the year so far came from a tip from Rob. Other recommended books just haven't cut it for me. All contributes to life's rich tapestry.

Now, where did I leave my latest Monkey Arkwright novel.

For those of you who use e readers, a few bargains to be had (all 99p for Kindle and on Apple Books)

The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
Read this years and years ago, a race against time to prevent the assassination of President De Gaulle.

Sirens - Joseph Knox
I noticed someone on here read this recently and has some great reviews.

Brazzaville Beach - William Boyd
Have read a few of his books, though not this one, critically acclaimed British novelist.

If you are into books about WW2 then I suggest 10 armies in hell by Peter Caddick-Adam’s it’s about Monte Cassino and it sums up the waste of human and animal life, probably the best non Beevor war book I have read.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.