All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

You can like it or hate it we are all different, but punk was great but it came and went in a flash while the bands like Rush they were supposed to wipe out carried selling bucket loads arenas and influencing new bands 40 years later.

Wipe out? I'd be very much dismayed if one genre was aimed at wiping out another. They all have their place. Punk is alive and well in a lot of bands you listen to today. As is "New Wave". Constantly evolving. Rush evolved. From something dreary into something even drearier. Just my opinion though. I've just listened to Matt Monroe.

Entre Nous is awful.
Different Strings has a weak first half but an interesting second half, with Alex’s solo faded out too soon. Freewill grates on me too, mostly because of Peart’s lyrics (this track and Limelight have always bugged me).

All of the above said, the other 3 tracks are mighty fine. Although on a personal level I’ve now heard Spirit so many times I’d be happy never to heard it again, it is an uplifting classic.
The two I play the most are Jacobs Ladder and Natural Science. Too busy trying to watch the footy here, but the first 2 of the 3 sections of NS have incredible dynamics and are so exciting to hear at volume. The second half of Jacobs Ladder, a track with evocative lyrics, is stunning too.

8/10

Entre Nous is awful.
Different Strings has a weak first half but an interesting second half, with Alex’s solo faded out too soon. Freewill grates on me too, mostly because of Peart’s lyrics (this track and Limelight have always bugged me).

All of the above said, the other 3 tracks are mighty fine. Although on a personal level I’ve now heard Spirit so many times I’d be happy never to heard it again, it is an uplifting classic.
The two I play the most are Jacobs Ladder and Natural Science. Too busy trying to watch the footy here, but the first 2 of the 3 sections of NS have incredible dynamics and are so exciting to hear at volume. The second half of Jacobs Ladder, a track with evocative lyrics, is stunning too.

8/10

Evocative? Written about a storm passing and the sun coming out?

"All at once the clouds are parted, light streams down in unbroken beams."

Poetic yes, evocative? Naaaa...

And an 8? based on 2 songs you like?

Rush are a band I've heard of, but never listened to and now I know why.

I listened to the album before I read the comments and my first thought was they sound like a poor mans Yes. They are going for a prog sound, but they lack the cleverness of Yes' melodies and ability to pull in strands of jazz/classical influences. I do think Yes were the masters of 70s prog mind, superb melodies topped off by Jon Anderson's voice. Any prog band will be compared to them (for me anyway).

I can completely understand why people revere them as it's clear they are technically superb. The production is also good and if you're into virtuoso playing, they would be a go-to band.

I do like prog, but it has to be done well. Long songs without cleverness just get a bit boring. It lacked depth for me - it didn't stray off a well-trodden rock path really and good prog goes in different musical places. To my ears, this sounds like a group of musicians in a music shop showing off. I found after a while it just all seemed to sound the same.

I did like Spirit of Radio, I'd heard that before and didn't realise it was Rush. I thought that was the best of a very average bunch of songs.

In all honesty, Rush just aren't my cup of tea but I can appreciate their technical ability.

It's a 4/10 for me.

Evocative? Written about a storm passing and the sun coming out?

"All at once the clouds are parted, light streams down in unbroken beams."

Poetic yes, evocative? Naaaa...

And an 8? based on 2 songs you like?
To be fair, I managed to score The Beatles a 6 for managing 3 songs I acknowledged out of the 13(?)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.