Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the same token a large number of men die each year from prostate cancer which is almost entirely avoidable. Early signs (pissing probs) are obvious, so get checked out and live! One family member died last year and a close friend is dying now. Both ignored the signs.
You are so right but my best mate has had incurable Prostate cancer since 2015. He went to the Doctors within 2 weeks of wanting to pee all the time but when he did it just trickled out. Was diagnosed straight away but told it had already spread to his pelvis so there was no point in removing the gland. He went on hormones and Radiotherapy, every six months he goes through the ordeal of tests to see if his containment treatment is still working, it's tough to deal with, he's a Blue and goes to the away games with the Ashton branch (from the Heroes of Waterloo).

The effectiveness of the vaccines is being continually downgraded in the face of delta. It was 90% then 65%, now it’s 50% against catching it. Most people are now referring to the effectiveness against hospitalisation which is clearly still good but even a few months ago it was all about effectiveness against illness.

We aren’t winning this war yet.

You are so right but my best mate has had incurable Prostate cancer since 2015. He went to the Doctors within 2 weeks of wanting to pee all the time but when he did it just trickled out. Was diagnosed straight away but told it had already spread to his pelvis so there was no point in removing the gland. He went on hormones and Radiotherapy, every six months he goes through the ordeal of tests to see if his containment treatment is still working, it's tough to deal with, he's a Blue and goes to the away games with the Ashton branch (from the Heroes of Waterloo).
Yes, he was unlucky. The majority of cases are dealt with successfully with meds which shrink the gland and contain the cancer. Docs say you will die WITH prostrate cancer but not OF it.

The effectiveness of the vaccines is being continually downgraded in the face of delta. It was 90% then 65%, now it’s 50% against catching it. Most people are now referring to the effectiveness against hospitalisation which is clearly still good but even a few months ago it was all about effectiveness against illness.

the x% effectiveness is compared to symptomatic infection rather than infection itself so I think this 50% report is a little misleading.

Yes, he was unlucky. The majority of cases are dealt with successfully with meds which shrink the gland and contain the cancer. Docs say you will die WITH prostrate cancer but not OF it.
So true mate, my pal has been really unlucky but he has been treated well. I think Bill Turnbull was diagnosed with similar and they gave him about 12 years.

Even 50% effectiveness against infection is incredible and if we could of halved infection rates early last year then the pandemic never would of started. AZ published that their vaccine is over 95% effective at preventing serious illness from Delta which means even if the vaccine wasn't effective at stopping infections at all then we still win.

By the way, flu vaccines are not even this effective. As of today around 16,000 people will die of flu annually but considering the recent number of cases and deaths so far, far less will die of COVID. We may not of won the war yet but we will do.

Is it just me that finds that disappointing? Only 50% less likely to catch it, not what was sold to us that.
That was pre Delta which is VERY infectious.

And even with Delta now 100% of all cases as the report says we are still seeing cases fall.

As so many have caught it already because of that infectivity. And the vaccines have stopped half of those who would have done and/or minimised them that they never knew they had it.

THe vaccine was ALWAYS created to prevent the need for hospitalisation and NOT to stop you catching it.

Minimising severity is and always has been the main aim of all vaccines. And was here from day one.

You will find many people in here saying that before the first jab last December. So it is not retro thinking to cover up failings.

And the number is 1 in 25 will catch it double vaccinated if in contact with someone spreading Delta.

That is a better result than expected. AND cases are milder for those who do catch it.

Sometimes the headline is there to mislead in the media. By accident or design.

The headline here is certainly not the main story.

Last edited:
So true mate, my pal has been really unlucky but he has been treated well. I think Bill Turnbull was diagnosed with similar and they gave him about 12 years.

By what you wrote, when he was peeing it was trickling out when he went to see the doctor, i think he possibly had the symptoms for quite a while before making that appointment.

I was at work one day a few years ago and was having to go to the toilet around every 20 minutes. I knew straight away what it was so went to the doctors who arranged a psa test. That came back at 5.7 so I had a biopsy which was negative. I've had two scans since and they test my PSA every six months. It fluctuates between 6-9, up and down. My consultant said I have a benign prostrate which can raise it. So long as it doesn't shoot up they'll just monitor it. Get checked pronto bloke's at the first sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.