Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he actually WANTED to play for Manchester City, he'd have come to us 12 months ago. He stayed at Barcelona because he could still manipulate them. That's no longer the case.

A wonderful player to watch? Definitely. But he's a parasite. He's bled Barcelona dry, now he's looking for a new host.

If you enjoy watching him, you'll have to watch him on the telly. He ain't coming to City.
do you have a personal reason either to dislike the guy so much or not want him at city as calling someone a parasite is a bit harsh

Barca's problems are self inflicted paying huge sums of money in transfers and wages for average players - thats nothing to do with messi

I’m yet to see any figures that prove what you’re saying is correct

If he’s requesting the reported £1m/week, that’s (gets calculator out) £52m/year extra we’d have to find

Puma already pay us £75m/annum, so the shirt sale part is a complete myth in my opinion as I can’t see Puma giving a decent additional % for every shirt sold to make a dent seeing as we sold just over 1 million shirts in 18/19.

Any additional Merchandise would surely be part of his image rights package, so again, not much to be made there

Ticket sales? Lol. We’ve sold out for pretty much every game for years, so there’s little or no extra cash to be had there

So for me, the only way Messi can be cost neutral is if we increase our commercial revenue by £52m. Considering our 19/20 commercial revenue was £284m, I’d be amazed if we can increase this figure by almost 20% just because we signed Messi

That said, you may well be correct in saying he pays for himself, but I’ve yet to see any evidence that this is in fact, but no chance I’ll believe it without some cold hard facts
Messi reportedly sells 2 million shirts a year. No reason to think he wouldn't do the same here, there's a strong argument to say he could sell more with it being a new club. Shirts are £70 a pop, it's probably closer to £100 per person with shirt printing, full kit and extras. Clubs get 15% generally that's potentially about £30 million a year right there purely from shirts. Then if puma are paying us £75 million a year as you say, for a million shirts sold, there's zero chance that doesn't instantly get renegotiated when Messi is more than doubling sales.

The same thing happens with all our other sponsors and partnerships as well as all the new deals we suddenly get. The prospect of having adidas' star man decked in puma gear every week is going to be worth what can only be described as a shit load to them.

I have no idea how messi's image rights currently work or would work here, I assume we wouldn't be in a position to get a slice of that pie and he would keep hold of them all exclusively but we would certainly benefit heavily from having him associated with City.

Doesn't matter if we already sell out most games, do you think all match day tickets will be offered at a tenner for early champions league games when there's a queue of foreign fans willing to pay whatever city ask? Season ticket holders would hopefully still get a fair deal but those match day tickets go through the roof as City sell a chunk of them to tourists that come for the game, buy all the kit and merchandise in the shop, go on the stadium tour etc. tunnel club becomes immeasurably more attractive too. There's plenty of revenue to be made from match day

There's reports that estimate Messi is responsible for around 30% of barcas revenue so it doesn't seem unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.