Climate Change is here and man made

It's ok for us to blame China for pollution but we all buy their cheap shite products and clothes and export them to the other side of the world. The way we throw away clothes and electronics is careless me included.
As someone said earlier, we outsourced much of our polluting activities (manufacturing) to the developing world and as someone else said, shipping the finished products back here compounds the problem due the polluting nature of the shipping industry. Now we are looking at opening up our market to Australian livestock which will make matters even worse. Much of the world seems to be doing the opposite of what is needed for a sustainable long term future. There needs to be a wholesale change in mindset rather than just thinking about local CO2 emissions which will only scratch the surface of the problem.

IPCC reports do talk about the advantages of warming too but the MSM never highlight them. Parts of the world that are now uninhabitable will become habitable. We are an incredibly adaptive species and will not only cope we'll thrive.
A different angle to the climate change issue is the economic benefits of the shift to a 'green' economy. A lot of startup companies have jumped on the green gravy train peddling new tech such as heat pumps, PV cells and the like. You think any of them give a single f*ck about the environment really (apart from their beautiful green mission statement)?

Money makes the World go round. Just depends what state you want it in.

China ship their cheap sh*t all over the world which in itself is polluting. And that's on top of the CO2 and other chemical byproducts of the manufacturing process. I'd love to know what percentage of that sh*t ends up in landfill within 5 years of being made.

I noted this earlier in the thread. the 16 largest shipping ships produce more pollution that all the cars on the planet combined. regulating these would be a quick win

As someone said earlier, we outsourced much of our polluting activities (manufacturing) to the developing world and as someone else said, shipping the finished products back here compounds the problem due the polluting nature of the shipping industry. Now we are looking at opening up our market to Australian livestock which will make matters even worse. Much of the world seems to be doing the opposite of what is needed for a sustainable long term future. There needs to be a wholesale change in mindset rather than just thinking about local CO2 emissions which will only scratch the surface of the problem.

Bought a bed from Argos for my son, it was made in Malaysia ridiculous considering I've worked in a mill making furniture.

A different angle to the climate change issue is the economic benefits of the shift to a 'green' economy. A lot of startup companies have jumped on the green gravy train peddling new tech such as heat pumps, PV cells and the like. You think any of them give a single f*ck about the environment really (apart from their beautiful green mission statement)?

Money makes the World go round. Just depends what state you want it in.
I agree companies do and say whatever is required to keep themselves relevant and profitable. But do their motives matter if they behave as the eco-mentalists wanted? A win win situation surely?

IPCC reports do talk about the advantages of warming too but the MSM never highlight them. Parts of the world that are now uninhabitable will become habitable. We are an incredibly adaptive species and will not only cope we'll thrive.
It’s alright saying general hands-off terms like “we are an incredibly adaptive species”, but that doesn’t take into account that there are already migrations of people who aren’t sticking around in areas where the climate has had an effect on their homes to adapt to the changes.

There were 55m climate migrants in 2020. I can’t remember if it was you who said that there are more important issues going on in the world than climate change, but 55m climate migrants is 50.7m more people than have died from Covid.

They aren’t sticking around where they did live to adapt, they won’t take the amount of years it takes us to evolve as a species to get used to the changes in climate… they are migrating to other more habitable areas, mainly where people already live (not necessarily to newly habitable empty lands that are ready to take on the migrants). So those 55m migrants (that’s just in one year, don’t forget!) will have an effect on many more millions of people and conurbations that need to home them. It’s not as far down the list of importance as you’d think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a bed from Argos for my son, it was made in Malaysia ridiculous considering I've worked in a mill making furniture.
Yep, that's a perfect example of what I mean. I'm sure that a bed could be made in the UK or Europe using locally sourced wood that wouldn't need shipping half way round the world. That would save quite a lot of unnecessary energy use.

I agree companies do and say whatever is required to keep themselves relevant and profitable. But do their motives matter if they behave as the eco-mentalists wanted? A win win situation surely?
I know a guy (defence industry scientist) who had PV's fitted to his roof. It was one of those deals when the panels were on a cheap rental/final payment in 10 years and he could sell excess energy back to the grid at a fixed rate.

He did a bit of fiddling around and worked out a method of making his panels more efficient, effectively increasing his yield by around 22%. Great for his pocket and great for the environment... or so he thought. After about 4 months, the energy company sent a representative round to his house to tell him in no uncertain terms to 'pack it in' otherwise they'd be back to remove the panels.

The level of uninformed group think on this is disappointing but not surprising.
Uninformed group think? Scientists worldwide who believe there needs to be huge change to tackle climate change and other green issues are in the vast majority compared to those who don’t. My comment about indifference was talking about the world as a whole, including governments, not about this thread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.