Denis Law diagnosed with Alzheimers and vascular dementia

When that back heel went in the net I forgave him for signing for them before coming back to us.
Sad to hear the news, we've recently lost a relative from the disease.
My wife and I started doing cryptic crosswords a couple of years ago to keep our brains active for as long as possible.
I wish it was that simple, there was no one brighter or more active than my old dad but sadly he had Alzheimers for the last 10 years of his life, forget the crosswords, just get out there and enjoy yourselfs while your fit & healthy.

My first ever City game was Denis's return to Maine Road in August 1973 when he scored a brace vs Birmingham City. Very sad news but wish him all the best.
That was my second game at Maine Road. How he managed to hover in the air and meet the cross from Rodney Marsh defies logic and still astounds me to this day. Good luck Denis, we all appreciate how tough its going to be but as one of the few footballers that can unify Mancunions you have the whole of the City behind you!

Yep. Mum had dementia for her last couple of years. Heartbreaking when your own parent doesn't recognise you any more.
Same thing happening with my dad’s mum over last few years, he lives far away and she doesn’t know who he is over the phone (her recollection sort of comes back when visiting in person, but sadly that’s not been since the start of the pandemic and there will likely be very few visits left).

She didnt know who I was when in the same room 2 years ago, first time I’ve experienced that and a tough moment.

I’m no expert but I believe for many it helps to see it as a ‘feeling’ disease/condition (ie even if memory isn’t there they still have the capacity to feel pleasant emotions, and feed much more off good energy and warmth from others etc)? Certainly my granny in the last few years has been fairly happy in and of herself, isn’t really aware of her condition and sort of just lives in the moment, and not in psychological distress a lot of the time (though still with episodes of frustration & aggression in certain unfamiliar situations).

Thoughts with Denis’ family and anyone else on here with a similar experience.

What people might not know is the amount of work he did with the Teenage Cancer Trust and Christies.

He used to sit by the beds and speak to these sick kids.

My now brother in law got cancer at the age of 13 and was literally hanging on at one stage.

I was sat by his bed when Denis came in and saw Phil's City shirt and he sat down with him and just chatted away about football.

I was just in awe of him, and such a down to earth bloke.

My Bro in law survived and never forgot meeting him.

Denis used to drop in to Maine Road during the week in the 90s to have a cup of tea with Ken Barnes and chat to the staff.

Just a class act.

What people might not know is the amount of work he did with the Teenage Cancer Trust and Christies.

He used to sit by the beds and speak to these sick kids.

My now brother in law got cancer at the age of 13 and was literally hanging on at one stage.

I was sat by his bed when Denis came in and saw Phil's City shirt and he sat down with him and just chatted away about football.

I was just in awe of him, and such a down to earth bloke.

My Bro in law survived and never forgot meeting him.

Denis used to drop in to Maine Road during the week in the 90s to have a cup of tea with Ken Barnes and chat to the staff.

Just a class act.
A man of great dignity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.