Transfer Strategy

City signed Grealish who will improve under Pep and become a big time player. 20 -30 goals per season players are rare. They are targetted in the PL so injury is always a problem that accumulates as we saw with Aguero and are seeing with Kane.

City did not go for Ronaldo and Messi who could both prove to be a more expensive Sanchez.
City did try for Kane whom Spurs did not want to sell.
Lukaku wanted to go to Chelsea.
Lewandowski will stay at Bayern.

The above are all top quality but ageing. Harland and Mbappe are the young guns who City may or may not try for. New ones will emerge and may have already been identified.

With football already cash strapped, why take on a short term risk and gamble at massive cost with potential debt with knock on effects with the rest of the squad and unknown contribution to the team? City management are not fools. They are juggling short term needs with long term ambition and targets.

As Pep said, we need a player who can change a game like Yaya, Sergio and even Vinnie. Few strikers can do this at the highest level and fit into the City style of play. We are PL Champions with a global scouting network, CFG clubs and the Etihad Academy. Yet we have doom and gloom posts bemoaning our lack of signing a striker, DM and LB when other clubs would love our squad.

It smacks of entitlement that we should sign all the best players and win all competitions. Maybe we will but sport is about surprise not the predictability of computer games or gambling where the favourite always wins. Fans should support City and enjoy the ride as we always have done with all the ups and downs.

Spending £250m on Kane and Grealish was, for me, not a good window for us - excessive overpaying that would likely harm us down the line. I'm yet to understand the £100m for Grealish, but am willing to be proven wrong.

We've got a good enough squad to compete for the title as is, but it will certainly be harder as our rivals have done solid business and we've had the worst start to the season. Could easily go to one of 4 teams.

We've evidently got £100m+ saved from the Kane debacle, I'm ready to go into this season with the squad we have and just accept a less productive season than we're used to, if it means we properly sort out the issues in the squad next summer (ST>LB>CDM).

Disastrous would have been if we’d lost Laporte Bernardo and Jesus to fund the Kane deal that never happened.

As it stands all three are still here, all three looked well up for being at City last week, none of them have had any bids.

Okay we didn’t get Kane, but these things happen.
Hang on mate we fucking still might . Nobody leaves this club now .

I agree with this. Last year it all fell into place for us with no fans and Liverpool being our only realistic challengers having a mare with injuries. Now they will be back to what they were and Chelsea and utd are far stronger, especially in terms of being goal threats. At least 2 of Foden, Raz, Grealish and Mahrez will have to put up serious striker numbers to compete.

Not impossible but a hamstring that could have been avoided.

Although the best team technically, I feel we carry the least goal threat out of the four.

I feel we have made it made things Unnecessarly tough for ourselves.

Very good summary.

I just cannot believe that those running the club fail to see these issues and would rather save money than just go the extra yard to get a deal done that would see the best manager we’ll probably ever have given all the tools to do his job.

I‘m in no position to criticise the City board, given what we’ve won, but fucking hell for just a bit more cash out of the multi millions sloshing around football we could have made ourselves almost unbeatable.

It‘s a huge gamble now, and touch and go whether we’ll even finish above the shits this season, when with a slightly more aggressive transfer policy we could have finished them off for good.

I‘m unbelievably sad about City right now, really disillusioned after Kane and now Ronaldo. I wish we had Garry Cook dealing with transfers again sometimes.

Can’t agree about Haaland, I‘d pay whatever it takes to get him, but it’s just not our m.o.
No club can or should be able to cherry pick the best players from every other club. Liverpool did this with British players in the 1980's before the days of "foreigners" in English football.

Pep wants the best but knows he will not get the same level of support at any other club. City go about their business quietly in the background and not through the media so we are always left guessing.

City signed Grealish who will improve under Pep and become a big time player. 20 -30 goals per season players are rare. They are targetted in the PL so injury is always a problem that accumulates as we saw with Aguero and are seeing with Kane.

City did not go for Ronaldo and Messi who could both prove to be a more expensive Sanchez.

The above are all top quality but ageing. Harland and Mbappe are the young guns who City may or may not try for. New ones will emerge and may have already been identified.

With football already cash strapped, why take on a short term risk and gamble at massive cost with potential debt with knock on effects with the rest of the squad and unknown contribution to the team? City management are not fools. They are juggling short term needs with long term ambition and targets.

As Pep said, we need a player who can change a game like Yaya, Sergio and even Vinnie. Few strikers can do this at the highest level and fit into the City style of play. We are PL Champions with a global scouting network, CFG clubs and the Etihad Academy. Yet we have doom and gloom posts bemoaning our lack of signing a striker, DM and LB when other clubs would love our squad.

It smacks of entitlement that we should sign all the best players and win all competitions. Maybe we will but sport is about surprise not the predictability of computer games or gambling where the favourite always wins. Fans should support City and enjoy the ride as we always have done with all the ups and downs.
We have a great supply line of Grealish, KDB and Foden, only issue is we dont have a striker to take the chances ....

Your right we should ban any deserved criticism. Only positive posts from now on.

Spending £250m on Kane and Grealish was, for me, not a good window for us - excessive overpaying that would likely harm us down the line. I'm yet to understand the £100m for Grealish, but am willing to be proven wrong.

We've got a good enough squad to compete for the title as is, but it will certainly be harder as our rivals have done solid business and we've had the worst start to the season. Could easily go to one of 4 teams.

We've evidently got £100m+ saved from the Kane debacle, I'm ready to go into this season with the squad we have and just accept a less productive season than we're used to, if it means we properly sort out the issues in the squad next summer (ST>LB>CDM).
Mental to go another 12 months without strengthening those 3 positions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.