Transfer Strategy

Messi and ronaldo went were messi and ronaldo wanted to go, Haaland will go next year . Pep obviously didn’t fancy Lukaku who probably wanted chelsea anyway. You wanted something shiny to show off and are now looking for someone to blame. Tough. You can throw words like incompetent and negligent about all you like. The trophies and team on the pitch prove otherwise.

Sums it up perfectly- beyond the nous of some folk

You said "better than" not as well as.

I honestly don't get why anyone would think not signing Ronaldo is a failure on our part. United have committed £75m in fee and wages for someone who is still going to be on their books just shy of his 39th birthday. Why would we be stupid enough to better that offer? Not only that but going forward is one part of the pitch where they have some decent options whose progress he's going to block. The only thing that's annoyed me about him ending up there is the endless crowing about how it's going to turn them into title contenders, but that'll make it all the more sweeter when they fail. It's yet more reactive business from United and it never works out well for them.

There isn't an endless supply of strikers who would improve us. We wanted Kane, we couldn't get him. As a plan B, carrying on with the squad that's apparently so glaringly lacking that it won the league and reached the CL final last year is better than wasting £40m on a category B player just to spare our transfer team's blushes.

I agree that the addition of a striker is an obvious area in the squad that needs to be addressed but if there's nobody available right now you can make the case that it's probably smarter to keep our powder dry for now. People saying that our recruitment is shit and people need to lose their jobs is way overboard. We've had more hits than misses over the years and just as importantly, our about to retain world class players is second to none.
Some very good posts in this thread just recently and this is definitely one of them. I think people need to get their heads around the fact that in order to improve our squad a player has to be exceptional or have the potential to become exceptional under Pep. The list of players who would do that is tiny so we have to be patient and we also have the clear policy of not being held to ransom on the fee. Clearly this is really frustrating for some but the fruits of this policy have been clear for all to see over the past decade. Just keep calm and keep the faith.

I honestly don't get why anyone would think not signing Ronaldo is a failure on our part. United have committed £75m in fee and wages for someone who is still going to be on their books just shy of his 39th birthday. Why would we be stupid enough to better that offer? Not only that but going forward is one part of the pitch where they have some decent options whose progress he's going to block. The only thing that's annoyed me about him ending up there is the endless crowing about how it's going to turn them into title contenders, but that'll make it all the more sweeter when they fail. It's yet more reactive business from United and it never works out well for them.

There isn't an endless supply of strikers who would improve us. We wanted Kane, we couldn't get him. As a plan B, carrying on with the squad that's apparently so glaringly lacking that it won the league and reached the CL final last year is better than wasting £40m on a category B player just to spare our transfer team's blushes.

I agree that the addition of a striker is an obvious area in the squad that needs to be addressed but if there's nobody available right now you can make the case that it's probably smarter to keep our powder dry for now. People saying that our recruitment is shit and people need to lose their jobs is way overboard. We've had more hits than misses over the years and just as importantly, our about to retain world class players is second to none.
But whether you like it or not Ronaldo will score a boat load of goals and they will right there at the finish . It’s not about signing Kane and Ronaldo its about letting your greatest striker leave and not even replace them even though everyone knows we are massively short upfront and also when the chairman even says we are gonna bring in a replacement and also getting to the champions league final you would have thought we would wanted to kick on to win it . Sorry but to bring no top striker in a fuck up an pep knows it aswell .Kane was overpriced at £150 million and Ronaldo didn’t fit our criteria but he would have scored for fun for us but she should have had better scouting of this position .

But whether you like it or not Ronaldo will score a boat load of goals and they will right there at the finish . It’s not about big signing Kane and Ronaldo its about letting your greatest striker leave and not even replace them even though everyone knows we are massively short upfront and also when the chairman even says we are gonna bring in a replacement and also getting to the champions league final you would have thought we would wanted to kick on to win it . Sorry but to bring no top striker in a fuck up an pep knows it aswell .

Really agree on this. A lot of posters are saying people who are disappointed about not signing a striker are flapping or spoilt. They're forgetting that the chairman raised everyone's expectations to 11/10 by giving it the big talk before the window.

I don’t like referring to the old Scottish git from the swamp but his recruitment was good (emphasise the WAS, it went a bit too Phil Jones in the later years). In the pursuit of a needed striker he identified Ruud van Nistelrooy but pulled out after a worrying medical. The player then subsequently suffered a related injury which the rags waited for the Dutchman to recover from before a renewed bid 12 months later. I think it is fair to say the move was successful.

The point I am making is that they didn’t go for an alternative they waited a year until they got the striker they needed, it was the right thing to do then and it is the right thing to do now. We all know there is a great candidate for the role at the Etihad plying his trade in the Bundesliga that will be available next summer, it looks like Real are invested in Mbappé so by my reckoning that leaves us, Bayern and PSG in the running. Good odds? We’ll see. Right call? We’ll see.

More worried about going into this season with only 3 full backs.

I genuinely think we are better off not having Mendy around the squad. It was obvious how much of a liability he was, yet Pep continued to trust him in games when it was clear he wasn’t up to standard.

The issue has now been forced, albeit in awful circumstances, and in my opinion we’re better off for it.

We have Ake and Laporte who can do a job there is we’re in trouble with injuries and even then I think both of them would fair better than what Mendy brought to the table.

I genuinely think we are better off not having Mendy around the squad. It was obvious how much of a liability he was, yet Pep continued to trust him in games when it was clear he wasn’t up to standard.

The issue has now been forced, albeit in awful circumstances, and in my opinion we’re better off for it.

We have Ake and Laporte who can do a job there is we’re in trouble with injuries and even then I think both of them would fair better than what Mendy brought to the table.
Yes I think they are good points. I think Zin is fine at LB but not having a dedicated LB creates a sort of gap for players to fill that otherwise may complain about lack of playing time. Laporte springs to mind.

If we get another LB then fine but if we don’t there are many players who can step in.

Id like a dedicated Striker more to rotate with Torres and, next season, a Fern replacement to rotate with Rodri.

I might be wrong but I really only worry about LB when Mendy plays same as you. It’s no loss to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.