Rate Our Transfer Window

Rate our transfer window out of 10...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rascal made a very good point (possibly in another thread) where he said that maybe there was no major striker objective and that City had plans for Foden. I can see that. But then why not use the money on a LB and DM which most definitely are problem positions.
Yeah but problem positions according to who?

We all thought striker was the big hole and it seems according to Rascal that Pep (and I guess the club too) have decided that it isn't a problem.

The club and Pep have decided that Rodri, with Fernandinho as backup and Gundogan or even Zinchenko as emergency backups is good enough.

And the club have decided that they are happy with Zinchenko, Cancelo, Aké, and in case of emergency Laporte as LB options.

I'm not sure I would agree with you there, Grealish might prove a good addition(however we aren't without depth there already), but we lost our only true forward, we lost one of our LBs(a position was aren't overwhelmingly deep in)and Fernandinho is a year older in another position we are kind of light in.

We lost an ailing Aguero and brought in a hugely talented player; albeit an attacking midfielder but who will make a far bigger contribution (subject to the usual caveat on no unexpected injuries) than Sergio did last year of would this year.

I don't want to say much about Mendy but we have Zin, Cancelo, Ake and Laporte to cover LB and that should be enough to get us safely to January and give the club time to assess whether or not to recruit another LB then or go on as is until next summer.

Dinho is a year older nd that is a downside but other players being a year older is an upside and there are several promising young players coming from the academy that are being kept around the first team squad and the possibility that the very exciting talent that is Kayky might join that group.

Our relative inactivity, or failure to land the players in the positions we expected, might work in our favour. See Mbappe and Haaland. Can Real Madrid swallow them both? If they don't, then where else do they go?

However, I am pretty sure City started out with a budget of £200m and the intention to improve our squad in this window. Kane was ridiculously expensive and I am not all surprised that we did not pay £130m plus for him, but we knew what Levy was asking at the beginning of the window and I think we should have brought in an alternative or strengthened other areas.

It's always difficult as a fan to follow the transfer activity as so much of the news is rubbish, however I know what my expectations were at the start of the window, and I can see what we have now. We failed to strengthen the problem areas whilst Chelsea are now in pole position. That's a bad Summer in my book.

I have no idea what will happen with Haaland. I'd like to think we would be front of the queue but it's not clear whther or not in football terms he favours us; also, the figures being talked about are eye watering, even with a buy out clause, so City may not be prepared to invest so much in one player. They can though observe his progress and make an even more informed decision.

Having sobered up I’ve decided I can only judge the success or failure of the transfer window at the end of the season. If we win the title I’ll consider it a success, any cups will be a bonus.

What I will say is my expectations for this season are lower at the moment, I’m hoping rather than believing we’ll win anything now.

Whatever transpires, we absolutely must buy the best available striker next summer.

Yeah but problem positions according to who?

We all thought striker was the big hole and it seems according to Rascal that Pep (and I guess the club too) have decided that it isn't a problem.

The club and Pep have decided that Rodri, with Fernandinho as backup and Gundogan or even Zinchenko as emergency backups is good enough.

And the club have decided that they are happy with Zinchenko, Cancelo, Aké, and in case of emergency Laporte as LB options.

Foden may well be destined to be a false nine under Pep but even he could be played at DM such is his all round ability. I've referred a few times in the past to Pep using Foden there, partly tongue in cheek but you never know with Pep. The four players that you have mentioned, should be enough at DM. Rodri will play the majority of games there.

Do you see the youth team making a contribution this year to the first team(I'm not saying that negatively, just interested)?

I think it will be sparing unless we have injury problems. As ever, it depends on how Pep sees them progressing. We all know how Pep has handled Foden's development. From the bits I have seen though and comments from others, I do think we may end up with two or three that actually make the first team squad on a long-term basis; I hope so.

Probably 7/10.

Grealish was a huge plus. For me, Grealish in the no.8 position is our foreseeable future, and our way of replacing David Silva. Might make a case for Foden playing there instead, but it's always good to have options.

The cons... Really thought the squad could use a new striker (though I'm partly glad we didn't spunk the ridiculous money on Kane). Really disappointed we fell short on that part. Also, no new LB. Didn't expect a DM this window, so my hopes weren't dashed there.

All in all, decent window. Adding Grealish on to what I feel is already a very strong squad. Not our best window by a long shot, but decent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.