Americana / alt.country thread

Johnny Mars Bar

Team supported
St. Mark’s
When discussing Jason Isbell the other day someone said we need an Americana / alt.country thread. So, here we go.

To kick things off with a niche suggestion, do we have any fans of Slaid Cleaves here? I bought his 'Wishbones' album years ago, and am just digging through the rest of his discography. His lyrical commentary on the plight of the blue collar worker and the demise of the American working class is right up there with Springsteen and Johnny Cash IMO.

When discussing Jason Isbell the other day someone said we need an Americana / alt.country thread. So, here we go.

To kick things off with a niche suggestion, do we have any fans of Slaid Cleaves here? I bought his 'Wishbones' album years ago, and am just digging through the rest of his discography. His lyrical commentary on the plight of the blue collar worker and the demise of the American working class is right up there with Springsteen and Johnny Cash IMO.

Never heard of him.
He has an easy voice to listen to.

This is disappointing. I thought someone had started a new country called Americana. I thought it was like a hippy sanctuary where the national anthem was this:

Nice thread!

I've listened to a bit of Slaid Cleaves and enjoyed what I hear. Interesting how he is friends with Rod Picott, who writes about similar themes - there are also some songs that they've both done, which confused me for a while (e.g. "Rust Belt Fields" and "Welding Burns").

Last edited:
I think Americana encompasses all of American folk and country and all in between, like various forms of electrified country rock and bluegrass etc.
As such I like listening to it although I wouldn’t be any kind of expert on any of it.

I like genuine folk of most countries, English speaking anyway. It’s usually honest and tells a story.

Country is great. What I can’t stand almost universally is the whine of country and western.
I don’t want to know about your achey breaky heart. Shit kicker!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.