3 Day Trip To Ireland - Any Recommendations?

Your going to be robbed in Kilkenny a great town its about a hour and half away on the train from Dublin. You be paying more for Kilkenny for a hotel over the weekend than in Dublin. You could always travel up to Belfast from Dublin not too far to go up. Carrick on Shannon is a good spot but from Dublin might be a bit too far.

Leighton will know better than me about the prices in Kilkenny. The only reason I mentioned it is because that's where Mrs Flyer is from and we had a great couple of days there a few years ago visiting all of the places about her
family history.

I forgot to mention Castlebar which is close to Westport but not really worth a flying visit. We ended up there one night, absolutely pissing it down and just ran to the nearest bar that we could see. Ended up staying there till God knows what time, full of Guinness and free butties from the bar, bacon, sausage or anything you asked for. Brilliant night never to be forgotten

We went on an Irish road trip before the pandemic and hope to do another one next year. We were in most places mentioned and I can concurr;
Kilkenny is very expensive, the Hibernian Hotel was by far the most expensive hotel we stayed in and whilst nice it is little more than a glorified pub
Cork was the only place I was slightly disappointed in. Maybe just went to the wrong pubs/eateries
Westport is cracking. Particularly Mick Malloys (of Cheiftains fame).
Dingle was brilliant but probably too far for three days trip.

Wherever you go the pubs are just brilliant, the older and more eccentric the better. As someone else said, be nice and everyone and I mean everyone is nice back. The service in bars is amazing when compared with UK. One guy/lady can typically serve the equivalent of 6 surly barmen back home. They have an amazing ability to know who is next, they will start pouring your Guiness, serve 5 other punters and as soon as your stout is settled, its yours. Little things like that really tickle me.

Roads good, especially those funded by the EU :-)
Brilliant brilliant place for a short break.

As others have said it is expensive. Do not go near temple bar if you are in Dublin, expensive tourist trap is putting it kindly.

The Guinness brewery is excellent. Not sure of your age but if your looking for a night out camden Street is the place to go. Some great pubs such as The Long Hall, bleeding horse and sinnotts. For a nightclub I recommend copper face jacks, opens till the early hours.

As others have said howth is gorgeous, great fish and chips from beshoff with some stunning walks and views. If you are on the southside a little out of the way but my favourite pub is the blue light, for nature walks Glendalough is close and worth visiting.

Open bus tour of Dublin is good fun too. Going outside I would suggest going to galway, galway town is brilliant and if you can go see the cliffs of Moher.

I would be booking trains very early, as the prices are crazy, you can get direct buses to galway that might be a cheaper option.

Westport is a good shout but has gone mad with tourists and can be very busy and if you are going west you need a car to get about really and enjoy the scenic places of what that great west coast can offer - MATT MOLLOYS (not Mick Malloys!!!) is a good bar and been a few times over years.... but many others. Personally If it was me I would fly to Belfast and explore that great CITY - loads of great bars, Titantic Quarter, Catherdal Quarter, tours of city, music and craic - easy to walk around as small - from the centre near City Hall you can book bus tours up the coast to a few places and the Giant Causeway and coastal towns - that coast is one of the best places on earth nevermind Ireland.....and it is NOT as expensive as Dublin that is overated and full of stag and hen do's (it is Irish for Blackpool - Dub Lin ffs) - if you are going to Belfast I can give you a list of bars that are must drink places!

PS there is no bias in this recommendation :) and i dont work for Tourism Belfast

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.