Applauding opposition goals

I was just watching that KDB belter against Leicester when he smashed it in the bottom left corner from outside the box. A chap a few rows back in the Leicester end is politely applauding the obvious moments of brilliance.

It got me thinking back to the days when City were the underdog without the world class names. I personally remember Arsenal with Henry, Pires et all coming to Maine Road and absolutely taking us to the cleaners but some moments you just have to appreciate the immense ability and I vividly remember a fair chunk of the crowd clapping at some moments of Arsenal play.

So, have there ever been moments where you have put football rivalry aside and just thought fuck it - that’s what the beautiful game is all about from an opponent?
Never.

I was in the north stand where he scored, I and many others applauded, sheer class, sometimes you just have to acknowledge it. Such moments were few and far between from our boys in blue back then so we appreciated watching quality live.

I remember Waddle getting a standing ovation when he was subbed when playing for Bradford at Maine Road. He was coming to the end of his career but was still the best player on the pitch.
Waddle could barely stand himself

I remember that day clear as day. Fabs singing ‘who the fucking hell are you’ ironically as they brought on subs as we were getting trounced. I loved that Arsenal side, A, because they played great stuff, B because we were hard to watch sometimes, C, they didn’t quiver at the thought of playing them lot.

Imagine being one of the best teams ever and just simply drifting into total mediocrity just because it shit manager after shit manager.
You “loved that Arsenal side”. Each to their own. I’ve only ever loved one team . And they’ve never played in red. Fuck. That

I was just watching that KDB belter against Leicester when he smashed it in the bottom left corner from outside the box. A chap a few rows back in the Leicester end is politely applauding the obvious moments of brilliance.

It got me thinking back to the days when City were the underdog without the world class names. I personally remember Arsenal with Henry, Pires et all coming to Maine Road and absolutely taking us to the cleaners but some moments you just have to appreciate the immense ability and I vividly remember a fair chunk of the crowd clapping at some moments of Arsenal play.

So, have there ever been moments where you have put football rivalry aside and just thought fuck it - that’s what the beautiful game is all about from an opponent?
Seeing the likes of Zola and Henry for the first time and thinking I wish we could sign someone like that

The Dortmund goal over there got a nod of approval before an expletive rant. Not sure how old the guy was that scored it. European goals are easier to take, any English team goal against us is like a dagger to my heart.

You “loved that Arsenal side”. Each to their own. I’ve only ever loved one team . And they’ve never played in red. Fuck. That
You must have watched the 1969 FA Cup final in black and white then, lucky for you, you didn't see those red stripes.

The nearest I came to that was early in 1970 when West Ham came to Maine Road and won 5-1. City had won 4-0 at Upton Park earlier in the season.

It was one of City’s most successful seasons with a (first) League Cup plus the Cup Winners Cup, our first (and only to date) European trophy.

City had a very tough midweek win over Academica Coimbra in the ECWC a few days earlier, but West Ham that night were brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.