#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Sterling's mere existence offends a lot of folk. I must admit it's reassuring to see a few posters like yourself who don't hate him come out of the woodwork these past couple of days. I thought I was crazy for not thinking he was awful/is awful.
Even getting it on the Everton match thread, Raz would have missed that etc… can’t help themselves.

Even getting it on the Everton match thread, Raz would have missed that etc… can’t help themselves.
The funny thing is that if something like that popped up in a newspaper, the media thread would be frothing at the mouth. I don't think they realise how unfair they can be towards the City player.

Whether he gets better or not, the reality is that the team has 4 spots for offensive players. KDB and Foden are without a doubt better players than Sterling's best. Grealish has great potential, and will probably be a starter. Silva gives so much energy and cohesion to the team. Jesus is having a great start and he is much better at dribbling, control, and passing. Ferran is much better at shooting and control so he'll be our 9. Even Mahrez has great technique, and he had a much better last season.

Just based on that, it's almost obvious that Sterling won't be a starter from now on. The problem is his wages, they are just too high for an important sub at best, and an Ake at worst. Selling him even for 40m would give us money + space for a big salary and we only lose a player that, very likely, won't be an important one anymore. That's great business in my opinion.

Perfect ball for Ferna, cut back that no one ran onto, chip onto GJ’s head although he should have shot, got into some great positions when a teammate didn’t find Jack being the glaring fuck up and that’s coming on as a sub, I’m not saying he was great but you were spouting bollocks.
You see I will hold my hands up but perfect ball? Cut back no one ran onto all subjective. Let’s leave it shall we I am talking bollocks and you big man are so obviously correct as usual

Unfortunately Sterling's mere existence offends a lot of folk. I must admit it's reassuring to see a few posters like yourself who don't hate him come out of the woodwork these past couple of days. I thought I was crazy for not thinking he was awful/is awful.

I'm mostly a lurker (993 posts in what, 12 years?). I get my city discussion from people around me and I come on here to have a read whilst I'm avoiding working.

But 90% of what I do post must be because I get fed up of blue piling in on whoever seems to be the target for the season, most commonly Sterling. There's absolutely no room for nuance and measured critique, its all full on attack or hero worship. The best foil to Sterling on here would be Bernardo. 18 months of abject mediocrity until January last season, yet given a pass by everyone, to the point that he was begging to leave this summer and everyone was desperate for him to stay. Compare that to Sterling who's had 3 seasons of 20+ goals from the wing, had a poor season (still 14 goals) but a great international tournament, not made any noise about wanting to go, nothing in the press about not getting enogh minutes toward the end of last season.... yet some on here are apaplectic with rage that he has the audacity to come on as a substitute and not score and assist several goals.

Just for clarity, I'm glad Bernardo has stayed and we would currently be fucked without him. I used him as a contrast to Sterling because they've had similar soaring highs and dragging lows in terms of performance stretches.

The problem we have with Sterling is that he’s near world class playing on the right. He was unplayable in our 100 point season when we were flowing with the SJS front three. Swap Jesus for Kun if you want, the point stands. He balled out when everything went through the left side with dave and Leroy (plus Kevin pinging wicked balls in from the right). Basically letting Raz mop up on the right without him being targeted. His assist numbers were insane and he snagged natural goals too.

i just don’t rate him centrally or on the left now that we have Jack and Phil and I’m not sure I really rate him over Jesus or Mahrez on the right.

It’s up to him to win his minutes. He’ll get his chances.

I’m glad you mostly agree, are you saying he should have done more with that ball to Ferna, if so what ?
No he could not do much more with that ball. So how did you think Ferran played? I thought he had a good game, movement, held the ball well, showed strength, worked back and should maybe have scored.

I'm mostly a lurker (993 posts in what, 12 years?). I get my city discussion from people around me and I come on here to have a read whilst I'm avoiding working.

But 90% of what I do post must be because I get fed up of blue piling in on whoever seems to be the target for the season, most commonly Sterling. There's absolutely no room for nuance and measured critique, its all full on attack or hero worship. The best foil to Sterling on here would be Bernardo. 18 months of abject mediocrity until January last season, yet given a pass by everyone, to the point that he was begging to leave this summer and everyone was desperate for him to stay. Compare that to Sterling who's had 3 seasons of 20+ goals from the wing, had a poor season (still 14 goals) but a great international tournament, not made any noise about wanting to go, nothing in the press about not getting enogh minutes toward the end of last season.... yet some on here are apaplectic with rage that he has the audacity to come on as a substitute and not score and assist several goals.

Just for clarity, I'm glad Bernardo has stayed and we would currently be fucked without him. I used him as a contrast to Sterling because they've had similar soaring highs and dragging lows in terms of performance stretches.
All players are critiqued against their performances (good and bad) and Bernardo was no exception, so if you think Bernardo was given a free ride, I think you would be mistaken.

I don't think many would argue that over the years Sterling has added great value, but conversely, his form has fallen off a cliff (and some time ago at that) and is being critiqued for his current performances.

You will always get far extremes on both sides of the argument, but that is the nature of the beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.