#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think anybody needs to turn this into a Foden/Grealish debate. I believe both will play the majority of games, certainly the important ones.
We are very lucky to have both and whilst I've been gushing in my praise for Jack so far this season there's no shame in not being as good as Phil. By the end of this season the number who are will be very very small.

It's not even close now. Foden is another level,

I’m still not sure that Pep ever really wanted him to play wide left for any real stretch of time. I think Sterling’s poor form and Gündy’s great form meant it made sense to utilise him there last season, but ultimately he was always going to revert to playing centrally
This has always been my feeling.

I always felt like last season Pep was just being Pep when he would say things like 'Phil's not ready to play centrally' etc, despite usually being the best player on the pitch on the wing where he had never play previous, let alone at the top level of professional football. Listening to Pep this season when talking about Phil though has been different. Saying 'Phil can play 5 positions and will do extraordinary because he is extraordinary'. It's almost like Pep knows Phil has paid his dues waiting for his turn and now he doesn't have to be so bullish about him. He knows what a special player he is and just how important he is already to this side.

Last edited:
Perhaps Foden is key to understanding our summer transfer window. If we use Phil in a false 9 then we can play Grealish and Sterling...

----------------Ederson
-------------Dias--Laporte
---Walker----------------Cancelo
Mahrez-KDB-Bernardo-Grealish-Sterling
----------------Foden

I reckon it would work without a defensive midfielder. There's enough industry in there to make it work.

I reckon now that de Bruyne and Foden are getting some form and fitness back we will see the false 9 more often and it probably suits our squad a lot more.

Perhaps Foden is key to understanding our summer transfer window. If we use Phil in a false 9 then we can play Grealish and Sterling...

----------------Ederson
-------------Dias--Laporte
---Walker----------------Cancelo
Mahrez-KDB-Bernardo-Grealish-Sterling
----------------Foden

I reckon it would work without a defensive midfielder. There's enough industry in there to make it work.

I reckon now that de Bruyne and Foden are getting some form and fitness back we will see the false 9 more often and it probably suits our squad a lot more.
He’d be totally wasted as a false 9 as KDB was in the final. Either play the ghost upfront or Jesus. If we insist on playing a false 9 I’d prefer Bernado and let him press from the front

One of the things I really enjoyed about last night was watching Phil encouraging the youngsters. He went straight to Wilson-Esbrand after his assist and then gave him more words of encouragement when they went back to the halfway line. There were a couple of other moments as well where he looked genuinely delighted for them.

He's clearly eager for them to enjoy the same success he's had and that's really nice to see.

Don't think anybody needs to turn this into a Foden/Grealish debate. I believe both will play the majority of games, certainly the important ones.
We are very lucky to have both and whilst I've been gushing in my praise for Jack so far this season there's no shame in not being as good as Phil. By the end of this season the number who are will be very very small.
I agree, the thought of a fully fit Kev, Phil and Jack all playing for us, is mouthwatering to me. They are all excellent players and we will go to another level when it all clicks.

I agree, the thought of a fully fit Kev, Phil and Jack all playing for us, is mouthwatering to me. They are all excellent players and we will go to another level when it all clicks.

foden was magical on Tuesday. The lad always gives 100%. Can’t wait for him to kick this season off with more goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.