How many of our academy will be in the first team in 2-3 years time?

I suppose it depends on whether we buy replacements for the likes of Gundogan, Mahrez, Sterling, Laporte and Bernardo if and when they leave. Mahrez and Gundogan’s contracts expire in the summer of 2023 and I’d be surprised if we extend either based on their ages. If Sterling doesn’t extend then we’ll almost certainly sell him next summer rather than him leave for free. And Bernardo and Laporte’s futures are still up in the air.

If our midfield/attack options in 2/3 years were Rodri, Lavia, McAtee, Palmer, Grealish, Foden, De Bruyne, Jesus, Haaland, Torres and Delap I’d be pretty happy!

I was impressed by all the youngsters against Wycombe. Previously it seemed we mainly had ball playing "midgets" coming through but those on show had a range of positions, sizes and qualities who fitted into our system of playing.

Phil Foden has set the bar but regardless, so many could have a good career in the game.

We shouldn’t be looking for a replacement for Mahrez when he goes we have palmer plus A couple of other youth players who can play there. Now is the time to fill the squad with our top quality youth players not buy!

When Foden and Sancho played together it was the latter who caught the eye but Phil who made the team tick.

Sancho left after wanting assurances of first team football, winning plaudits at Dortmund and marked for International stardom. The media clamoured for Foden to do likewise or go on loan but chose to develop with Pep.

Jadon Sancho has made a lot of money, especially from his £75m move from Dortmund but has struggled to find his feet at United in the PL and has since barely figured for England. In contrast, Phil is a City and England regular with lots of medals and more to follow.

Pep has a good eye for young players. Phil has learned his trade and is continuing to develop whilst leaving Sancho stagnating behind. The aim is to emulate the great Barcelona side he established and overtake the myth of Ferguson's class of 92 English players. That would be Pep's true legacy and could well happen.

Think we need to consider their pathway to the first team too. Lavia and Delap are in strong positions. If Palmer can play on the right side then perhaps he can stake a claim there as Mahrez is over 30.
Palmer usually does play on the right, cutting in. He's very much Marez's replacement. Lavia is Fern's and Wilson-Esbrand is the left back we've been crying out for. Both CB positions and the goalkeeper are covered and we could finally have a striker with Delap.

Following what I thought was a really good performance last night where our youngsters really shone, are we really looking at a ‘golden’ generation, when a couple of years from now the academy boys will make up a significant percentage of the first team. 2 years from now is this possible:

Ederson

Cancelo
Dias
Mbete
Wi
Following what I thought was a really good performance last night where our youngsters really shone, are we really looking at a ‘golden’ generation, when a couple of years from now the academy boys will make up a significant percentage of the first team. 2 years from now is this possible:

Ederson

Cancelo
Dias
Mbete
Wilson Esbrand

Lavia
Foden
Macatee

Palmer
Delap
Grealish

now that would be exciting.
as much as I like the idea of this, the reality will be completely different.
If that's our preferred starting 11 in two years time we won't be competing for the title.
In reality, some won't be good enough, some will be impatient, some will get poached and one or maybe two will make it into our preferred starting 11
If I were a betting man, the player with the most likelihood is Lavia

Last edited:
as much as I like the idea of this, the reality will be completely different.
If that's our preferred starting 11 in two years time we won't be competing for the title.
In reality, some won't be good enough, some will be impatient, some will get poached and one or maybe two will make it into our preferred starting 11
If I were a betting man, the player with the most likelihood is Lavia
A boy can dream though.

It depends on them. It was clear that Phil was a special talent and was going nowhere, even on loan. The same treatment seems to be handed out to Cole Palmer and Rory Delap. Pep wants them close to him. Is that because he sees the same potential in those two? Of the younger ones, the likes of Lavia, it will be telling what he decides to do with them in a year, loan or stay close.

We seem to have a conveyor belt of talent and I do think even if its one every couple of years, we will see a time when 4 or 5 are full squad members. That means we will still sell/let go the majority of these boys who will have been provided the best education and football grounding in the world to further their careers. Meanwhile we will continue to get £40-£80m a year in sales to invest if we need it. What's not to like ?

I agree with you Lavia looks class...(but so does Palmer, Mcatee, Delap, Mbete....)

I genuinely think there’s too many to say how many will make it. Before you had Foden, Sancho and Brahim, they were like the only three so it was between them. Then Garcia was kinda on his own as well. But now we have Delap, McAtee, Palmer, Lavia, Mbete, Doyle, Doyle, THB, Wilson Esbrand, Borges, Lewis, O’Reilly, Bobb who are all standouts. The first 5 are the most prominent at the moment. But there’s also a pathway for some of the other names. I’d be disappointed if less than 3 didn’t make it if I was honest.

At this moment the two most likely for me are Palmer and Bellis.

palmer is a player that you can just tell has something about him and has lots of potential. Foden and Michael Johnson were similar.

I think bellis is very underrated, considering his age and how well he’s playing in Belgium. He’s good on the ball, good at defending as is a leader

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.