All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

I missed that - what on earth is folk punk?
Well — I’m not sure I would describe it that way. It’s really acoustic punk. Acoustic guitar played aggressively, stand-alone snare and upright bass, semi-punk themes. Busker punk really.

Edit: I see now that Wiki defines their music as “folk punk.” Meh. Still think “busker punk” is better. You all can decide.

I also didn’t know they were discovered by James Honeyman-Scott of the The Pretenders playing on a street corner in Milwaukee the day The Ps were going to do a gig, and Chrissie Hynde asked them to do a set before their show that night. Great story. JHS RIP. Just think of how good The Ps would have been had he and Pete Farndon lived clean lives after album 2 :(.

Last edited:
Well — I’m not sure I would describe it that way. It’s really acoustic punk. Acoustic guitar played aggressively, stand-alone snare and upright bass, semi-punk themes. Busker punk really.

Edit: I see now that Wiki defines their music as “folk punk.” Meh. Still think “busker punk” is better. You all can decide.

I also didn’t know they were discovered by James Honeyman-Scott of the The Pretenders playing on a street corner in Milwaukee the day The Ps were going to do a gig, and Chrissie Hynde asked them to do a set before their show that night. Great story. JHS RIP. Just think of how good The Ps would have been had he and Pete Farndon lived clean lives after album 2 :(.
In weirdly excited about this as I imagine it will immediately grab my ear or be a complete turn off.

The anticipation is killing me............

19/1100

1632514422340.png

Violent Femmes is the debut album by Violent Femmes. Mostly recorded in July 1982, the album was released by Slash Records on vinyl and on cassette in April 1983

In 2002, Rhino Records remastered the album, filled out the disc's length with demos and added another disc of live tracks and a radio interview for a 20th anniversary special edition, with liner notes by Michael Azerrad.

Violent Femmes is the band's most successful album to date. It went gold four years after its release and platinum four years after that despite never having appeared on the Billboard 200 album chart. After achieving platinum certification on February 1, 1991, the album finally charted for the first time on August 3, 1991, and peaked at #171. Since Nielsen Music began electronically tracking sales in 1991, the album has sold 1.8 million copies. Blending RIAA certifications and Nielsen Music sales data, the record's American sales were estimated at three million as of 2016.

1. Blister in the Sun
2. Kiss Off
3. Please Do Not Go
4. Add It Up
5. Confessions
6. Prove My Love
7. Promise
8. To the Kill
9. Gone Daddy Gone
10. Good Feeling

Here we go! Review No.19 - Apologise for a late one, just in the nick of time. it is indeed Violent Femmes , no getting by you lot - I didn't even mention the decade in the clue! anyhow - this is a band I had never heard of - but at first listen it was refreshing, finally some real Music - thrashing acoustic guitar, rhythm and raw vocals - just what was needed after Eroticagate and the other manufactured Pop we've had of late - the most surprising thing for me was this was recorded in 1983, it really sounds like it could have been produced yesterday.
If you've never heard the Femmes before, this is the place to start - Finally we have one of the best Albums produced by the band/Artist - Most of this throws you from angry paranoia to romance and then to pent up rage with fast paced riffs and stripped back acoustic , would say 'Kiss Off' 'Add It Up' and 'gone Daddy Gone' fit that mould the best - 'Blister In The Sun' is their best known track and again sounds ahead of it's time - zany lyrics, cracking riff & bass and manic - which kind of sums up this whole Album for me - maybe another to listen to stoned!
Definitely a 'classic' album in the alternative folk punk? circle but just outside of mine - loved the whole spirit and raw energy throughout but equally found it painful at times - hell, it's something different! Enjoy.

This placed 974 out of the Top 1000

Have a good weekend Blues and please contribute with a score out of 10

6/10

18/1100

View attachment 26443

Erotica is the fifth studio album by American recording artist Madonna, released on October 20, 1992 by Maverick and Sire Records. The album was released simultaneously with Madonna's first book publication Sex, a coffee table book containing explicit photographs featuring the singer, and marked her first release under Maverick, her own multimedia entertainment company. Erotica is a concept album about sex and romance, incorporating her alter ego Mistress Dita, inspired by actress Dita Parlo. Some of its songs also take on a more confessional tone, influenced by the loss of two of Madonna's close friends to AIDS.

Madonna recorded the album in New York City with Shep Pettibone and André Betts while she was working on her book and film projects. She began creating the album's demos with Pettibone in his apartment in October 1991, and wrote the melodies and lyrics on top of the basic music which Pettibone produced in the style of his remixes. During the sessions, they had problems during sequencing, and, as a result, Pettibone kept trying to move development as fast as possible as he did not want Madonna to lose interest in the music. According to him, Madonna's compositions were serious and intense, moving the creative direction of the songs into a deeply personal territory.

Erotica received generally favorable reviews from critics, who regarded it as one of Madonna's most adventurous albums and praised her comments on taboos and AIDS. Commercially, the album was less successful than Madonna's previous albums, peaking at number 2 on the US Billboard 200, becoming her first studio album not to top the chart since her debut. Internationally, it topped the charts in Australia, Finland, and France, and peaked within the top five of several other countries such as Canada, Germany, Japan, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. Erotica was later certified double-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and has sold more than six million copies worldwide.

Six singles were released from the album, including the title track and "Deeper and Deeper", both of which reached the top ten of the US Billboard Hot 100. The album was supported by The Girlie Show World Tour, which visited cities in Europe, North America, Latin America, Asia, and Australia in 1993. Overlooked at the time of its release in part due to the backlash surrounding the Sex book, Erotica has been retrospectively considered one of "The 100 Best Albums of the 1990s" by Slant Magazine and one of the most revolutionary albums of all time by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Many critics noted the influence of the album on the works of other female artists from Janet Jackson to Beyoncé.

1. Erotica
2. Fever
3. Bye Bye
4. Deeper And Deeper
5. Where Life Begins
6. Bad Girl
7. Waiting
8. Thief Of Hearts
9. Words
10. Rain
11. Why's It So Hard
12. In This Life
13. Secret Garden

Here we go! Review No.18 - We've had the Queen of Soul, now we have the Queen of Pop - It's Madonna. This her fifth studio album and as the title suggests it’s all about sex, love, and romance - although controversial at the time it does touch upon some serious issues like sexual taboos AIDS.
Her book 'SEX' accompanying the Album seemed to over shadow this release and was more talked about -
It's a world away from the squeaky clean pop she broke into the scene with, here there is more dance beats and RnB - Like all great Artists she finds a way to reinvent herself and produce a different image - much to her credit.
I struggled to find many stand out tracks here - by far i enjoyed 'Rain' the most - Unlike most of the songs on here this one showcases her voice and is a reminder that she can actually sing! and pretty much the only ballad on here, 'Deeper And Deeper' and 'Bad Girl' are ok dance/pop songs but i just found everything else a real struggle - nauseating sexual innuendos, tinny pop sound and I found her barely audible in most tracks - she must have done better albums than this.

This placed 340 out of the top 1000

Have a good weekend Blues and please contribute with a score out of 10

3/10

I’m breathless album from Dick Tracy film much preferred. Not to mention that unforgettable song ‘hanky panky’…..

I vaguely remember the Violent Femmes from the 80s....kind of went right over my head at the time, though.
I know the first track...it's ok.
Second track is....I'm warming to it. Crazy punk skiffle!
Love these guitars.....a lot of these tracks are sounding really familiar. I must remember them from the Peel show.
Listening to Promise...I'm getting a bit bored with it now. I need a smoke but all the selfish idiots have been panic buying weed!
Killer bass on To The Kill.
Gone Daddy Gone...another familiar one. Top xylophone! Like it!
Ends on a nice song...

Overall...it was pretty good. Great production with a nice clean mix.....a few dull moments but...it's a short album, isn't it?
*update.....I couldn't listen to it a second time....so it's a 5/10 for me. I didn't hate it...some of it sounded ok, but it's just not for me.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.