Chelsea Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
It absolutely was a pen. Jesus was up-ended with no attempt to play the ball.

We played second string sides in both games. Cup due to intense fixture congestion and the league because we had virtually won the league by then.

The thing about Pep is nobody really ever has his number. He is a data-driven problem solver. He well knows the threat that Chelsea poses and I would back him to find solutions the same way as he has against the scousers. That doesnt mean we will win on Saturday, but if we don't, I very much doubt it will be any psychological hold you might think Tuchel has.

We heavily rotated too, especially for the cup game, just not as many changes as City, but it was absolutely a second string side for us too.

I don't think there was enough in that to impede Jesus. I think most on here would call it a dive if that was given against City, but anyway it's pointless re-referreeing matches from 5 months ago.

I don't disagree with anything you said in the last paragraph. I'm intrigued to see if Pep has something different, something new, up his sleeve to counter Tuchel or if he thinks City's best should be able to beat Chelsea's best.

Last edited:
We will see. He didn’t seem to learn much game by game on that 3 match losing run.

You could see how they’d set up, and we played right into it in the CL final of all matches.

I wasn't confident at all before the final. We had ended the league season with a whimper, somehow squeezed into 4th place because Leicester shit the bed in a more spectacular fashion than we did on the final day, but as soon as I saw the line-up I thought this is it. I could feel it in my gut it was going to be our night.

We heavily rotated too, especially for the cup game, just not as many changes as City, but it was absolutely a second string side for us too.

I don't think there was enough in that to impede Jesus. I think most on here would call it a dive if that was given against City, but anyway it's pointless re-referreeing matches from 5 months ago.

I don't disagree with anything you said in the last paragraph. I'm intrigued to see if Pep has something different, something new, up his sleeve to counter Tuchel or if he thinks City's best should be able to beat Chelsea's best.
As I mentioned upfront, I think it will be similar to Anfield 2018. Full backs less advanced, particularly if both Stones and laporte are out. If both are fit, it is possible we might see Stones at CB and Laporte at LB. I think there will be more onus on Chelsea to come out and attack vs. Tuchel's previous ultra-defensive approaches. It will be a very different game to the CL IMO.

As I mentioned upfront, I think it will be similar to Anfield 2018. Full backs less advanced, particularly if both Stones and laporte are out. If both are fit, it is possible we might see Stones at CB and Laporte at LB. I think there will be more onus on Chelsea to come out and attack vs. Tuchel's previous ultra-defensive approaches. It will be a very different game to the CL IMO.

With respect mate, characterising Tuchel's football as ultra defensive is way off the mark. He played that way for portions of the final, maybe but only after we went 1-0 up. The only time we've actually truly taken an ultra defensive approach was in the second half at Anfield this season. We've been a true possession team who counter press team into oblivion since he took over - his influences are LVG, Pep and Klopp.

I don't think Chelsea have any issues attacking City, but obviously there is no denying that City are a better attacking side and better at keeping possession.

With respect mate, characterising Tuchel's football as ultra defensive is way off the mark. He played that way for portions of the final, maybe but only after we went 1-0 up. The only time we've actually truly taken an ultra defensive approach was in the second half at Anfield this season. We've been a true possession team who counter press team into oblivion since he took over - his influences are LVG, Pep and Klopp.

I don't think Chelsea have any issues attacking City, but obviously there is no denying that City are a better attacking side and better at keeping possession.
Tbf Chelsea concede more possession than all the other decent sides, even Brighton and Leeds have had more if the ball than Chelsea in their 5 games this season, so with the quality of your squad that's apretty fucking defensive way to setup.

Tbf Chelsea concede more possession than all the other decent sides, even Brighton and Leeds have had more if the ball than Chelsea in their 5 games this season, so with the quality of your squad that's apretty fucking defensive way to setup.

Come on, that average is obviously being brought down by the 34% we ended up with against Liverpool.

Palace 62%
Arsenal 65%
Liverpool 34%
Villa 57%
Spurs 53%

We've had a tougher schedule than most top teams. We'll probably have less possession than City this weekend, but you watch that average shoot right up over the next 6 games.

Come on, that average is obviously being brought down by the 34% we ended up with against Liverpool.

Palace 62%
Arsenal 65%
Liverpool 34%
Villa 57%
Spurs 53%

We've had a tougher schedule than most top teams. We'll probably have less possession than City this weekend, but you watch that average shoot right up over the next 6 games.
Yes of course you'll have more possession against the liked of Burnley or Norwich. But against City or Liverpool and prob also United, Tuchel will always be ceding possession and trying to nick goals on the counter. Even against a shit Spurs side, you barely had the majority of possession.

Just accept it mate - not everyone can play pep style football. Tuchel has recognized this and crafted a winning formula, tedious as it is to watch

Yes of course you'll have more possession against the liked of Burnley or Norwich. But against City or Liverpool and prob also United, Tuchel will always be ceding possession and trying to nick goals on the counter. Even against a shit Spurs side, you barely had the majority of possession.

Just accept it mate - not everyone can play pep style football. Tuchel has recognized this and crafted a winning formula, tedious as it is to watch

Yeah but there is a huge difference between Pep football and ultra defensive. That's all I've been saying.

Chelsea play a nice possession based game 98% of the time. But of course our possession average won't be the 60% it usually is when we've only played 5 games and one of them is 34% against Liverpool.

Norwich and Burnley are the sort of teams others whom our possession average is being judged against have played against so you can't suddenly just write them off as easy peasy when we have to play them :)

Anyway this is all rather pedantic. I'm coming across as awfully touchy about this stuff, so I'll just leave it alone now. My general point was just that I disagree with the characterisation of Tuchel's football, but happy to agree to disagree :)

Tuchel is ultra defensive when he plays us , despite resting half a dozen of our team in the FA Cup semi-final he still didnt play offensively , the smash and grab league was the same , if Aguero scores the penalty and its 2-0 and you go home with your tails between your legs.
The Champs league final was 100% down to Pep's mistake of playing without a defensive midfield player nothing to do with Tuchel's tactical nouse or your teams perseved superiority, you have not outplayed us in any of the three victories and you wil not on Saturday , dont believe the media hype around your club.
It wasnt that long ago the exact same squad of players minus Lumpkaku were absolutley embarrassed at Stamford Bridge when we declared at half time 3-0 up.
Tuchel does have issues attacking City and he wont change on Saturday , your only chance of a win will be another smash and grab masterclass.

Tuchel is ultra defensive when he plays us , despite resting half a dozen of our team in the FA Cup semi-final he still didnt play offensively , the smash and grab league was the same , if Aguero scores the penalty and its 2-0 and you go home with your tails between your legs.
The Champs league final was 100% down to Pep's mistake of playing without a defensive midfield player nothing to do with Tuchel's tactical nouse or your teams perseved superiority, you have not outplayed us in any of the three victories and you wil not on Saturday , dont believe the media hype around your club.
It wasnt that long ago the exact same squad of players minus Lumpkaku were absolutley embarrassed at Stamford Bridge when we declared at half time 3-0 up.
Tuchel does have issues attacking City and he wont change on Saturday , your only chance of a win will be another smash and grab masterclass.

Interesting takes. It's safe to say I disagree with most of that, but with nicknames like Lumpkaku thrown in the mix, it's clear that there isn't much to be gained from engaging with any of the things you said.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.