Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest, why would that result in increased deaths?

Personally I'm not convinced that the health care system in the UK is really any better than the others. I think it ranks about in the middle of health care systems in Europe.

The NHS is the big old elephant in the room in our society.

Nobody dares criticise it and no politician dares to speak the truth.

Our hospitals are crumbling and it needs a systemic overhaul - the whole thing is a Kafkaesque nightmare of burocracy and there’s far too many overpaid pen pushers meaning money isn’t spent on things that matter.

It’s not fit for purpose at all.

I’m not saying I have a solution, but the whole ‘NHS is wonderful’ narrative is a load of nonsense.

The NHS is the big old elephant in the room in our society.

Nobody dares criticise it and no politician dares to speak the truth.

Our hospitals are crumbling and it needs a systemic overhaul - the whole thing is a Kafkaesque nightmare of burocracy and there’s far too many overpaid pen pushers meaning money isn’t spent on things that matter.

It’s not fit for purpose at all.

I’m not saying I have a solution, but the whole ‘NHS is wonderful’ narrative is a load of nonsense.
This looks looks like the Tory plan in action.

Privatisation technique: defund, make sure things don’t work, people get angry, you hand it over to private capital. — Noam Chomsky​

the whole thing is a Kafkaesque nightmare of burocracy and there’s far too many overpaid pen pushers meaning money isn’t spent on things that matter.

Most international comparisons conclude the opposite - that the NHS is actually quite efficient compared to most systems.

Relatively poorly funded, but more efficient than most.

Regarding death rates between countries. A lot of it is down to what constitutes a Covid related death. In the UK, if someone dies within 28 days of a positive test then it is Covid related even if that person had a terminal illness. It is a very wide definition whereas other countries don’t always do the same.

Obviously there are many other factors such as population density, median age of population etc so there isn’t a huge amount to be taken from it. Other than advanced nations I would also say the statistics in most countries are fairly meaningless as they don’t have the resources to collect them.

Regarding death rates between countries. A lot of it is down to what constitutes a Covid related death. In the UK, if someone dies within 28 days of a positive test then it is Covid related even if that person had a terminal illness. It is a very wide definition whereas other countries don’t always do the same.

Obviously there are many other factors such as population density, median age of population etc so there isn’t a huge amount to be taken from it. Other than advanced nations I would also say the statistics in most countries are fairly meaningless as they don’t have the resources to collect them.
Population density is a huge factor. It is why New Zealand could keep deaths to very low levels by sealing off their isolated country as there are few large population centres there and big gaps between those that exist. As they start to open up from restrictions things will still change but their natural advantage meant they were always going to cope better than most.

The UK is utterly different in every way. Far more people in much less space = very easy spread of a highly transmissable disease and things taking hold before you get chance to stop them.

The US has more people but spread over a much bigger area. The UK would fit into one state. This spread out nature of the population means it has an advantage over the UK - it buys some time - whilst still having the population density disadvantage over places like New Zealand.

In the UK it is not dfficult to work out why the biggest outbreaks have occurred in the past 18 months in the NW, Yorkshire and London. Density of population means fast spread. Meaning harder to stop by measures taken after it has started, Hence why the NW was in lockdown most of the time up to July. Possiblymore than in any western country and still has had lots of cases. It is the perfect breeding ground for Covid.

Look at the Isle of Man which had its own government and could isolate from the rest of the UK and did. It had very few cases luckily because it could not have handled them all and had to send patients to NW England if they needed real care.

But just as New Zealand will find in the end you have to open up and as soon as the IOM did things started to climb.

THey have for two years running now cancelled what is by a mile the biggest driver of the island economy - the TT races - because the vast influx of visitors from the mainland this would bring would almost certainly have overwhelmed their extremely small health service very fast indeed.

It is not usually because A did things badly and B did them well as to why cases and consequently deaths are high somewhere but not other places.

Covid is a disease that thrives in certain places and the densely packed island nation with huge concentrations of people in a climate that helps Covid no end makes the UK one of the easiest places to colonise.

ZOE APP NEWS

TODAY'S UPDATE

BIG INCREASE TODAY

Predicted cases are

UP FROM 50, 934 TO 53, 592 a rise of of 2658 after rises of 683, 2306, 1645, 1219 & 622 & 719 in the days before.

It WAS 43, 740 last week - a RISE week to week of 9852 - biggest jump up in ages.

Ongoing symptomatic cases UP too -

FROM 663, 647 TO 666, 301 A RISE of 2654 after FALLS of 717,1399, 3489 and after a RISE of 14, 718 the day before in past week.

IT WAS 661, 763 last week. A weekly RISE of 1884 UP from weekly falls of 5392 yesterday and 4562, 16, 521, 36, 638 and 37, 160 wk to wk in previous days.

There is always a lag to the change in ongoing cases after a rise or fall in daily case numbers as ongoing cases persist and are not just counted on the day of first report.

This just isn't the case.

There have been many studies looking at this, and the overall picture remains very similar.

all countries should only record actual Covid deaths and not people who’ve died of something unrelated within 28 days of a positive test
It said there was 30,000 odd cases the other day, now some of those 30k people will die within a month of that positive text and this is everyday

if the Covid deaths only were reported I’ve a feeling the daily deaths would be much lower and could help towards helping those terrified of the virus if they see death numbers dropping

it’s strange they are reported this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.