Running thread

Good luck to all doing Manchester on Sunday. Trust your training, don’t try anything radical or new on the day and make sure you take it in and ‘enjoy’ it as much as possible. It’s an amazing thing just to finish and that should be your primary objective. Everything else is a bonus!

I recommend any of you runners to watch this.

Certainly open my eyes a bit. I run 5-10k everyday and whilst I’ve never been fast or interested in running longer, that video has more or less extinguished any want I had to run marathons.

Last edited:

Certainly open my eyes a bit. I run 5-10k everyday and whilst I’ve never been fast or interested in running longer, that video has more or less extinguished any want I had to run marathons.

Important to get the full message here though: doing some excercise is massively beneficial to your health. Doing too much can be harmful. I’d hate anyone to just see and misinterpret the headline here and think that they should stop running!

Important to get the full message here though: doing some excercise is massively beneficial to your health. Doing too much can be harmful. I’d hate anyone to just see and misinterpret the headline here and think that they should stop running!
As I say, I run everyday but it’s certainly made me think that what I do is enough and that running marathons wouldn’t mean I was necessarily helping my health.

As I say, I run everyday but it’s certainly made me think that what I do is enough and that running marathons wouldn’t mean I was necessarily helping my health.
Agree. I ran London in 2016 as a one off and had no intention of doing another marathon but an odd set of circumstances saw me do it again last Sunday. Both times were exceptions to my normal running routine and were well worth the change in intensity for benefits in other areas maybe to the detriment of my health? Everything is a balance and a personal choice. The video makes a lot of sense and I think the drug analogy is a good one: you have to get the dosage correct for it to work and to get the best benefits.

Thanks for the timely reminder. Everything in moderation.

Nothing new here. It would be a pity if this was to extinguish one's ambition to run a marathon. I doubt a couple of marathons in a lifetime would be harmful. Conversely running Bob Graham round every year for 40 years probably would be... (Joss Naylor excepted !)

Personally my marathon days are over and as I approach my late 50s I try, with difficulty, to curtail the mileage to 15 per week and do weight training instead. Not so much fun though.:(

Thanks for the timely reminder. Everything in moderation.

Nothing new here. It would be a pity if this was to extinguish one's ambition to run a marathon. I doubt a couple of marathons in a lifetime would be harmful. Conversely running Bob Graham round every year for 40 years probably would be... (Joss Naylor excepted !)

Personally my marathon days are over and as I approach my late 50s I try, with difficulty, to curtail the mileage to 15 per week and do weight training instead. Not so much fun though.:(
I’ve gone from running twice a week to every day as the lockdown I’m stuck with means there’s no gyms so running and cycling are my only ways to train. It’s soul destroying as I’ve never really enjoyed running when compared with weights and other sports.

Agreed, training for a running one every couple of years is ok but like anything it’s moderation that’s the key.
I’ve trained less for this Sunday than on any other marathon (4th one) and I feel better, fitter and a damn site more relaxed about it. Put way too much pressure on myself on previous ones and wouldn’t be surprised if I actually do a better time than before.

Swim…. You’ve got the pool I think?
Our house in South Africa has its own pool but I’m in Borneo mate for 10 months a year for the Mrs’s work and we didn’t bother picking a place with a pool as we are (literally - see google maps) 300 yards from the golf and country club which has 3 pools so we didn’t think we’d need one but obviously that’s closed. Our neighbour’s have one but we aren’t allowed round to theirs!! So annoying although I’m fairly fit right now but weak as piss.

E3F64BA7-3BCA-40E0-ACC3-17DD30CCF4B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.