All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

It's interesting that you feel the same as I about the riffs/hooks, other than "Sandman" which everyone seems to like including me. What's also odd is that if I've read this thread right, I'm the only one who really likes "Sad But True". I find this response to hooks so intriguing -- I know instantly if I like a hook or not -- it's a visceral gut thing. We all know when music is askew or cacophonous, if you just randomly mash a piano, say. So why does someone else like a hook or dislike a hook and I feel differently? Is it brain chemistry? Eardrum configuration? This is a rhetorical; it's just something I've never figured out. Why do I like so many hooks produced by Rage Against The Machine, or Filter, or Ozzy, or Helmet, but not Megadeth, or Tool, or Iron Maiden, or (apparently) Metallica?
Is part of the joy of a song that hooks us, that it takes us into a visceral gut thing and gives us a break from the figuring it out head?

Last edited:
It's interesting that you feel the same as I about the riffs/hooks, other than "Sandman" which everyone seems to like including me. What's also odd is that if I've read this thread right, I'm the only one who really likes "Sad But True". I find this response to hooks so intriguing -- I know instantly if I like a hook or not -- it's a visceral gut thing. We all know when music is askew or cacophonous, if you just randomly mash a piano, say. So why does someone else like a hook or dislike a hook and I feel differently? Is it brain chemistry? Eardrum configuration? This is a rhetorical; it's just something I've never figured out. Why do I like so many hooks produced by Rage Against The Machine, or Filter, or Ozzy, or Helmet, but not Megadeth, or Tool, or Iron Maiden, or (apparently) Metallica?

Think that’s why Music has always fascinated me, I’m more interested in what others get out of different genres than what I personally enjoy.

Think that’s why Music has always fascinated me, I’m more interested in what others get out of different genres than what I personally enjoy.
That's a great outlook to have. I wish more people would take the musical blinkers off and broaden those horizons. Instead of which we have people stuck in one groove (No pun intended)
There's a guy that gets in my local who only listens to elvis, nothing else. Imagine that, elvis purgatory.

That's a great outlook to have. I wish more people would take the musical blinkers off and broaden those horizons. Instead of which we have people stuck in one groove (No pun intended)
There's a guy that gets in my local who only listens to elvis, nothing else. Imagine that, elvis purgatory.
That’s nearly as bad as just listening to the Beetles ;)

Music is a strange beast, and Ive found over my long life that you should never criticise peoples tastes or opinions. I know people who spend literally many thousands on hardware, $12000 just on speakers.
They would not entertain listening to compressed music on Spotify etc. I know a guy who wont listen to anything after the 60's, music is eclectic it affects people in different ways.
Whilst I love Jazz and Rock and Pop and Blues and singer/songwriters I still say that the movement "Nimrod" from Elgars Enigma Variations is the greatest piece of music ever written! Closely followed by the beautifull choral works of Benjamin Britten. But thats MY taste, I know Beethoven was the master.
Paul Simon stole this for his song April Come She Will, the brilliant "Cuckoo" but Benjamin came up with the idea first.
Listen to that voice.

I Find people like your Elvis guy very interesting personally, he obviously gets all he needs from the king of R & R, the world is an interesting place, made all the more interesting by people like him imo.

Cheers Blues! From low votes in recent weeks and just 12 last time out to a whopping 21 votes this week, just 1 short of the record 22 votes.
Metallica have bought the punters back on our 20th selection!
Some really great reviews for the 'Black Album' - seems pretty well respected even though Metal is not everyone's cup of tea

Metallica/'Black Album'
21 votes
Average Score = 6.0

new album review tomorrow.
Updated table on Page 1

Next up.. we head to New York for have our first 00's Album from a legendary singer/songwriter

1633613622140.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.