Tom Ritchie ("City 'til I Cry" fanzine) RIP - Funeral today 14th October

I knew Tom to chat to from seeing him around the country for decades at games and living in the same town. He was @Soulboy on this forum for a while and was funny and knowledgeable. I just did a search on my posts where I’d mentioned his name and there were dozens where we had a laugh and took the piss about shit. But he knew a lot about City. I know it’s not much but I spent ten minutes reading the posts and smiling again and that was my little way of remembering him and his spirit.

I spent an hour or so reading through his old posts on here last night, as well. I was surprised to see that it was as far back as 2012 that he last contributed to the board. My memory was that it was maybe three of four years more recently than that, but it shows how time flies by without you noticing. I don't have that much time to devote to reading posts on here so, as well as focusing only on threads of particular interest, I sometimes search to see if particular posters whose posts I especially admire have written anything recently. @Soulboy was always one of those, even before I knew that Tom was the man behind that user name.

In addition, I looked out a couple of personal messages he sent me on social media earlier this year. It's not been the best year for me - in April, I underwent surgery and in July my father died. Despite his own health problems, Tom took the trouble to get in touch on both occasions, with a perfect mix of sympathy and encouragement. It meant a lot, and that was the measure of the man.

Sad news RIP Tom. He sat next to me in the North Stand for the last ? years before I was told by fellow Blues around he had deferred this season as he wasn’t well. At the request of his wife we sent a snap of a few of us who sat near him from a recent game which she said made him smile. Condolences to all his family.

I spent an hour or so reading through his old posts on here last night, as well. I was surprised to see that it was as far back as 2012 that he last contributed to the board. My memory was that it was maybe three of four years more recently than that, but it shows how time flies by without you noticing. I don't have that much time to devote to reading posts on here so, as well as focusing only on threads of particular interest, I sometimes search to see if particular posters whose posts I especially admire have written anything recently. @Soulboy was always one of those, even before I knew that Tom was the man behind that user name.

In addition, I looked out a couple of personal messages he sent me on social media earlier this year. It's not been the best year for me - in April, I underwent surgery and in July my father died. Despite his own health problems, Tom took the trouble to get in touch on both occasions, with a perfect mix of sympathy and encouragement. It meant a lot, and that was the measure of the man.
Sorry to hear about your own difficulties, petrusha. Hope you are well.

Hope his family can take solace from the many nice comments/memories people have posted on here and elsewhere. The last time I met Tom was at Wembley where he helped me put my flag up on the railings in the League Cup Final v Arsenal. Tom was sat right at the front and it was nice to have a brief chat again with him. Later, via social media, it turned out we both shared a love of flapjacks as well as City but that’s another story. RIP Tom, a truly lovely man.
I can tell you that every comment and reply has meant so much to us all. I remember that day, we saw you again at another match and when I said ‘who’s that’ he said ‘we put his flag up at Wembley’ .

Very sad to read this news. I Bought Tom's fanzine back in the '90s and got to know him well at away games, He loved City and was seriously funny at times. He can't be much older than me. I hope his wife and family can see how well was respected amongst us City fans. RIP mate.

Very sad to read this news. I Bought Tom's fanzine back in the '90s and got to know him well at away games, He loved City and was seriously funny at times. He can't be much older than me. I hope his wife and family can see how well was respected amongst us City fans. RIP mate.
His family have seen the messages of love and support - just two messages up from yours :)

Whilst all the 'zines were good and I am certainly not going to re ignite the wars!
Tom's humour put CTIC at a different level. Others have already mentioned the straws he gave away so we could all clutch them, the paper clips and rubber bands to make us smile but I am sure there were others, I just can't remember them. Can anyone assist.?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.