Tom Ritchie ("City 'til I Cry" fanzine) RIP - Funeral today 14th October

An earlier post jogged my memory: The Times did a piece on Tom as part of their brilliant “Down Amongst The Dead Men” weekly series on City in division 2. It is reproduced in the brilliant book of the same name. The gist of it was that City’s continued shitness and his devotion had affected Tom’s mental health and cost him relationships.

Such sad news this. Didn’t know Tom personally but we always had the odd discussion on Twitter. Always let on when I seen him at the away games, as you do when you know a face, but never had the chance to speak in person.

Loved the City till I Cry fanzine, like many have said, and always made me smile during those dark days and I think I still have all the copies in the loft. I think he produced some t-shirts once, which I bought. Light blue with “Hate Football, Love City” on the front. Anyone remember?

A proper blue, and just glad Tom got to see many of the good times as well. RIP mate x

I used to get most of the fanzines back in the day as they helped to keep a smile on my face when it all went wrong on the pitch & CTIC was the one I used to look out for the most, very sad news & RIP Tom.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I’m wrong on this but I always remember the piece he did for ctic about his trip to Hamburg for the friendly back in 2002. You could tell how excited he was be the whole trip and watching city in Europe albeit a friendly. I remember reading it and thinking how great it would be if city could get into Europe. Hamburg with relish I think the piece was called. Again sorry if it was another writer I don’t wish to upset or itrate anyone. When I get home I’m going to try dig out a few of the old fanzines.

Ctid

Forgive me if I’m wrong on this but I always remember the piece he did for ctic about his trip to Hamburg for the friendly back in 2002. You could tell how excited he was be the whole trip and watching city in Europe albeit a friendly. I remember reading it and thinking how great it would be if city could get into Europe. Hamburg with relish I think the piece was called. Again sorry if it was another writer I don’t wish to upset or itrate anyone. When I get home I’m going to try dig out a few of the old fanzines.

Ctid
Yes it was written by Tom and I just had a flash back to it..... if I recall I get a mention in it.....
You could buy beer even at the end of the game and our coach was picking us up right outside the away end and a very pissed up me walked out of the stadium with 2 beers singing "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour......"
a site witnessed by Tom and immortalised in his report!

Last edited:
Very sad news - Tom Ritchie, who produced the fanzine "City 'til I Cry" has passed away after a long illness.
Tom will be known to many Blues who attended games at Maine Road as well those of us who regularly went to Rochdale CSA branch meetings in the late 90's / early 2000's.
Thoughts are with his family and close friends.

View attachment 27608
FUNERAL DETAILS MESSAGE FROM TOM'S WIFE LESLEY

If you knew Tom, worked with him or liked what he produced and you would like to be part of the celebration of his life then you are more than welcome to join us at Accrington Crematorium on 14/10/21 at 11.40am and then afterward at Turf Moor, Burnley for a "pie and a pint on me".

As the family has got so much comfort from your memories and recollections, we're thinking of having an 'open mic' as we'd love to hear more.

Dress code: any colour of your choice.....except black, he was too colourful a personality. We are not mourning Tom but celebrating him.

Flowers : family only

Donations: We will be setting up a Just Giving Page for a local heart charity and the Brain Tumour Charity (further details to follow)

To make sure your pie is ordered all I ask is that you drop me a note to say that you are coming.
Ritchie.Lesley@yahoo.com

We really do hope to see you all. x

Whilst all the 'zines were good and I am certainly not going to re ignite the wars!
Tom's humour put CTIC at a different level. Others have already mentioned the straws he gave away so we could all clutch them, the paper clips and rubber bands to make us smile but I am sure there were others, I just can't remember them. Can anyone assist.?
There was the bag of Maine Road atmosphere that we were all going to miss

FUNERAL DETAILS MESSAGE FROM TOM'S WIFE LESLEY

If you knew Tom, worked with him or liked what he produced and you would like to be part of the celebration of his life then you are more than welcome to join us at Accrington Crematorium on 14/10/21 at 11.40am and then afterward at Turf Moor, Burnley for a "pie and a pint on me".

As the family has got so much comfort from your memories and recollections, we're thinking of having an 'open mic' as we'd love to hear more.

Dress code: any colour of your choice.....except black, he was too colourful a personality. We are not mourning Tom but celebrating him.

Flowers : family only

Donations: We will be setting up a Just Giving Page for a local heart charity and the Brain Tumour Charity (further details to follow)

To make sure your pie is ordered all I ask is that you drop me a note to say that you are coming.
Ritchie.Lesley@yahoo.com

We really do hope to see you all. x
Wish I could be there to celebrate Tom's life. Will certainly be thinking of him at that time of the day a few thousand miles and a couple of time zones away

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.