The forgotten few

One of the most remarkable (statistically) was Ian Thompstone, a 17-year-old debutant who came on as a sub for Trevor Morley, for the last 2w0 minutes, in a game at Middlesbrough in April 1988and scored City's goal in a 2-1 defeat (we always seemed to lose at 'Boro in those days).
So his goals-to-games ratio (1 goal in a career that lasted 20 minutes) is statistically unequalled, since he never played another game for City.

Were any Bluemooners at that game and saw his goal? I wasn't!
I was at that game with my old man bud. Only 7 at the time so don’t remember much apart from my Dad being buzzing that Thompstone had scored for us. Oh and that Ayresome Park was a shit hole

Anyone else recall Steve Fleet? He was reserve goalkeeper for a period when Bert Trautmann was a fixture in the first team. He made only 5 appearances in five seasons. He last game was a 6-0 defeat to Birmingham City in the 1962-63 relegation season.

I do recall an article in the Evening News ‘The Fleet’s In’. By the time of his last appearance, Harry Dowd was ahead of him as replacement for Bert.

Steve moved on to Wrexham, Stockport, and Altrincham . He later had a managerial spell in Iceland.
I met Steve Fleet a few years ago. I think it was at the launch of Gary James' book The Manchester City Years. I seem to recall he told me a story about taking over in goal whenfor a few games when Bert was injured. Bert was ready to come back but generously gave Steve a few more games.

David Shawcross. He played as a wing-half and was tipped by many as a potential world class player. He was a silky smooth player.

He was dogged by persistent injuries which probably destroyed his career. He made only 55 appearances in seven years with City before moving on to Stockport and Halifax. He played on for eight years after leaving City but the injuries had taken their toll.

I saw him play a few matches in the first team and quite a few more in the reserves before he moved on in 1965.

A real lost talent.

Who remembers that away game v Boro 82 I think, we had to field a load of reserves due to injury crisis
Geoff Lomax Andy (?) Elliott etc

Young uns might think so what but in those days squads were so much smaller

Derek Jeffries, used to see him on Houldsworth golf course, Tony Towers looked promising, Roy Little brought the best out of Bert with his totally random back passes. Dave Connor, a human limpet.
Bobby Johnstone, diving header at Wembley, and who can forget wotsisname :)

Cooper turned out to be a very useful signing. Saw out the 88/9 promotion and had another run in early 89/90 inc the 5-1, covering for an injured Dibble. Not a tall keeper but part of Bobby Robson's Ipswich team of late 70s/early 80s who won FA and EUFA cups and challenged for more.
How about Barry sidall

One of the most remarkable (statistically) was Ian Thompstone, a 17-year-old debutant who came on as a sub for Trevor Morley, for the last 2w0 minutes, in a game at Middlesbrough in April 1988and scored City's goal in a 2-1 defeat (we always seemed to lose at 'Boro in those days).
So his goals-to-games ratio (1 goal in a career that lasted 20 minutes) is statistically unequalled, since he never played another game for City.

Were any Bluemooners at that game and saw his goal? I wasn't!
I was

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.