Electric cars

There's little point mocking people with a genuine complaint about recharging EV's by making a comparison that makes little sense.

You don't need to 'charge' an ICE at home because there is already fuel stored. EV's utilising batteries to store evergy are simply not efficient and never will be. What if you work somewhere where there isn't an EV car park facility available? Many people park their vehicles outside their workplace rather or on the streets where no charge ports are located. "It will only get better" translates to "it's going to cost hundreds of billions to develop an entirely new infrastructure that will only be beneficial to a few rather than the majority".

EV's cars are the way forward, but battery stored energy method isn't. That is the main issue and concern with EV cars at present. The public is being 'sold' on the premise that we can 'charge up the EV at home', but unless we have designated parking spaces outside our own homes with charge ports, all we're going to see are a lot of extension leads draped across pavements as those who were unable to park close to their own home and unable charge their EV during the day, desperately try and put power back into their car overnight.
Oh dear, another one. All the points I did mention. When cars were first made only the rich could afford them and fuel stations were few and far between(I am old enough to see signs saying ‘last fuel for xxx miles or before motorway) now everyone has one and many more than one. Same with TVs mobile phones(in fact even kids have one). Like I said, even if you park on the road I have no doubt that you park it up for at least an hour when shopping. Many, many shopping centres and supermarkets have charging points. And ‘it will only get better’ and lots of money IS being spent expanding the network.

Oh dear, another one. All the points I did mention. When cars were first made only the rich could afford them and fuel stations were few and far between(I am old enough to see signs saying ‘last fuel for xxx miles or before motorway) now everyone has one and many more than one. Same with TVs mobile phones(in fact even kids have one). Like I said, even if you park on the road I have no doubt that you park it up for at least an hour when shopping. Many, many shopping centres and supermarkets have charging points. And ‘it will only get better’ and lots of money IS being spent expanding the network.
What do you mean 'another one'? I support EV's, i'm critical of the current methods to recharge the energy required to power the motors. Batteries are not the answer; lithium mining is also harmful to the planet and emissions production. Batteries are also exceptionally heavy, so they add a lot of weight to EV's, requiring more power to get them moving. From a power to weight perspective, batteries are not exactly the most efficient method.

Electric motors are proven to be the answer, how to get power efficiently and at minimal threat to climate change is yet to be resolved effectively.

What do you mean 'another one'? I support EV's, i'm critical of the current methods to recharge the energy required to power the motors. Batteries are not the answer; lithium mining is also harmful to the planet and emissions production. Batteries are also exceptionally heavy, so they add a lot of weight to EV's, requiring more power to get them moving. From a power to weight perspective, batteries are not exactly the most efficient method.

Electric motors are proven to be the answer, how to get power efficiently and at minimal threat to climate change is yet to be resolved effectively.
Fred is on a crusade, if we all switch to electric and go to the supermarket there’s no chance to charge up because everyone is! Get the infrastructure right, make them just as accessible and as cheap as normal cars and you are onto a winner.

Fred is on a crusade, if we all switch to electric and go to the supermarket there’s no chance to charge up because everyone is! Get the infrastructure right, make them just as accessible and as cheap as normal cars and you are onto a winner.
You don't consider £40-80,000 to be cheap and accessible? ;)

I'd personally prefer more R&D into HFC; the infrastructure can be modified to adapt into a system most people are already familiar with, but admit even they have their challenges.

Which is my point exactly.

Which is my point exactly.
I know but you are berating everyone who points out why the masses won’t adopt electric, they are genuine concerns, just look at how that clean air tax is been handle in Manchester, if the infrastructure etc was in place no one would have problems with it, but bloody hell it’s going to be carnage over the next 18 months for people with vans.

Saw this today on Faceache. Could the same principle be used to charge EV??

More inefficient than cable charging though.

We dig up roads to fit and replace cables for other reasons we can do it for EV infrastructure.

But I think something being missed is that people want EVs to fit into the car ownership model of late 20th/early 21st century. That doesn't need to be the case, there should be no need to own a car when you could rent it for cheaper and you don't need to incur the liability and responsibility for maintenance, insurance and depreciating value.

They should also be smaller, not the almost ubiquitous SUV or hybrid style that clog up cities and increase risk of damage to pedestrians and other drivers in collisions.

More inefficient than cable charging though.

We dig up roads to fit and replace cables for other reasons we can do it for EV infrastructure.

But I think something being missed is that people want EVs to fit into the car ownership model of late 20th/early 21st century. That doesn't need to be the case, there should be no need to own a car when you could rent it for cheaper and you don't need to incur the liability and responsibility for maintenance, insurance and depreciating value.

They should also be smaller, not the almost ubiquitous SUV or hybrid style that clog up cities and increase risk of damage to pedestrians and other drivers in collisions.
Yep produce a small £10k car to fit a family of 4 to the supermarket you don’t need a tank

Yep produce a small £10k car to fit a family of 4 to the supermarket you don’t need a tank
We could even build it ourselves. A small, affordable run about with no bells and whistles. Range of 100 miles or so. That would do me and I suspect a lot of other people too. How hard can it be?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.