Paul Merson

I’m of the opinion all drugs should be legalised and regulated so I’m in agreement on that.
I'm more of the opinion of decriminalising drug use, but severe punishment for anyone involved in the supply chain.

Let's face it, if alcohol and tobacco weren't already legal, do you think the government would make them legal tomorrow?

Trying to find which bookies as got the best odds on Merson getting binned off Sly at the end of this season.
They are ruthless fookers and probably have Jermaine jANUS lined up already

It's easy to say, "Well they should just know better than to get addicted to X" but really it's not that easy for many. The whole problem is that when people do get hooked the systems that are in place are designed to exploit this vulnerability rather than support them and help them see the light.

It makes me laugh that so many bookies can't spot a problem gambler and allow them to continue to spunk tens of thousands of pounds time and time again, yet they can sniff out us matched bettors because we've made a guaranteed £8 profit off a £10 free bet!
Yeah most of them banned me for match betting. Made a couple of grand off them though at least.

Still do super six and the itv super 7 and any other free stuff but never spend a penny on gambling. The bookie is always the winner in the long term.

Guess it’s just me that has no issues with drinks and betting companies being required to tell us to drink or gamble responsibly then and leaving it at that. Both are only allowed to sell and market their wares to adults, not sure why we have to go any further lengths. I don’t believe either should be society’s moral arbiters.

I felt no sympathy for Merson at all. Bloke has lost £7m, I agree with him that he’s a **** for that and him having a cry on screen doesn’t change that for me.
Merson is a **** but that doesn't mean that the gambling industry is not systematically exploiting people on an industrial scale.

You might be fortunate enough to not be affected by gambling advertising (and booze) but that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people that are affected adversley by both those things.

We could also extend the argument to fast food and obesity.

Gambling promotion and advertising should be banned from involvement in all sport full stop. Its a quasi illegal industry if you scratch the surface.

Merson is still a ****...

What I found most interesting in the programme was Keith Gillespie`s revelation that as a young pro at the Rags he was given money by a certain manager to go down the bookies and place bets for him. Maybe betting on games based on insider info, or one of his circle of mates in managerial positions, or certain referees. Maybe on a manger next to lose his job. They`ll probably say it was on horse racings but I won`t hold my breath awaiting a PL/FA investigation.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.