The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

There's probably a school of thought that this is their best album. In my view it isn't but there is some on it that could kick a few of the first 2 and make those better. The title track alone would do that. I only saw them once in Brighton around the first album when they were still doing I Am The Walrus as an encore. The atmosphere was electric and I remember driving down the motorway with my City kit pendant in the back of the car and people sticking their heads out of the window and beeping their horns cos they were going as well. They felt like they were our band to City fans from every Liam swagger at half time on the pitch to the Kevin Cummins photos in the kit in the NME (sorry OB1). An easy 9 out of 10 for me

There's probably a school of thought that this is their best album. In my view it isn't but there is some on it that could kick a few of the first 2 and make those better. The title track alone would do that. I only saw them once in Brighton around the first album when they were still doing I Am The Walrus as an encore. The atmosphere was electric and I remember driving down the motorway with my City kit pendant in the back of the car and people sticking their heads out of the window and beeping their horns cos they were going as well. They felt like they were our band to City fans from every Liam swagger at half time on the pitch to the Kevin Cummins photos in the kit in the NME (sorry OB1). An easy 9 out of 10 for me

Oh I used to read the NME, albeit long before Oasis arrived, but, at one point, along with Melody Maker and Sounds. I preferred Sounds out of the three.

This is definitely an album worthy of review. Although a compilation, it gathers together material that had not been released on albums. It might just be the best collection of B-Sides ever.

The album starts and finishes with two of the best songs Oasis ever recorded. As the
Fogster might say the album gets rolling with a righteous tune. Aquiesce is the epitome of a great Oasis track. The chorus, where Noel takes over from Liam, still produces a moment of frisson.

The title track brings proceedings to a close in magnificent style and is more complex and considered piece than the opener.

In between there are highlights galore. Ranging from the raucous instrumental rocker Swamp song that features a guest appearance from Paul Weller on harmonica and dual – or is it duel – lead guitar to the pretty, almost MOR, song that is Going Nowhere.

Underneath the Sky rocks in a Beatlesque way and features a nice piano break; whilst the frantic Headshrinker takes inspiration from The Stones.

Half The World Away needs no introduction.

Talk Tonight features the wonderful phrase: Dream made of Strawberry Lemonade”.

This album is far more than leftovers.

9/10

Oh I used to read the NME, albeit long before Oasis arrived, but, at one point, along with Melody Maker and Sounds. I preferred Sounds out of the three.
NME was the better of the three IMO. Journalism was good. Nick Kent and Charles Shaar Murray. I remember when he likened Queens debut album to a bucket of warm urine. He he.

NME was the better of the three IMO. Journalism was good. Nick Kent and Charles Shaar Murray. I remember when he likened Queens debut album to a bucket of warm urine. He he.

CSM was / is one of the most pretentious rock journos. The opinion you refer to is a crock for a start. He could write entertainingly at times though, that it is true. At least Max Bell liked the Blue Oyster Cult.

Looking forward to this..I know most of the songs, but hearing them as an album should be good.
I keep changing my album. I'm starting to panic..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.