Tommy Booth = legend

Funny that, don't see Tommy as a midfielder, really. Tidy player, but not that. Presumably he was in a holding role?
Tommy Booth was very much what used to be called a utility player, like Dave Connor, a lad you could bring in to fill an injury gap, or do a specific marking job.

Probably more defensively minded than Dave Connor, who had the stamina to play in almost any position.

You mention above that he got a run in midfield when Bell was out and I seem to recall him playing in such a position in the League Cup Final against Newcastle. Had a good game too if I remember correctly.
He was good in the air, and nodded the ball down for Dennis's overhead kick in that game (IIRC), from Willie Donachie's free kick

Tommy Booth was very much what used to be called a utility player, like Dave Connor, a lad you could bring in to fill an injury gap, or do a specific marking job.

Probably more defensively minded than Dave Connor, who had the stamina to play in almost any position.
I don’t recall Tommy playing anywhere but defence on a continuing basis. I am hard pressed to think of him playing without a number 5 shirt. I know that the numbers mean little under Mercer and Allison. George Heslop, played in a number of shirts (no 8, no 11, etc.) after losing his place to Booth.

Conner certainly was a utility players. Booth never was.

I don’t recall Tommy playing anywhere but defence on a continuing basis. I am hard pressed to think of him playing without a number 5 shirt. I know that the numbers mean little under Mercer and Allison. George Heslop, played in a number of shirts (no 8, no 11, etc.) after losing his place to Booth.

Conner certainly was a utility players. Booth never was.
To be honest, I always considered Tommy to be an average player and never saw him as much more than a 'stand in'. Having checked how many games he played for us, I was very surprised to be reminded how much he did play!

I put Tommy in the same category of player as Paul Power - Versatile and solid at the time, but (other than scoring winning goals in semi-finals) nothing particularly 'special'.

As for Dave Connor; after all my years of watching, he is still in my top ten favourite City players!

To be honest, I always considered Tommy to be an average player and never saw him as much more than a 'stand in'. Having checked how many games he played for us, I was very surprised to be reminded how much he did play!

I put Tommy in the same category of player as Paul Power - Versatile and solid at the time, but (other than scoring winning goals in semi-finals) nothing particularly 'special'.

As for Dave Connor; after all my years of watching, he is still in my top ten favourite City players!
Few players have won the English top flight. Power and Booth are two that have. Both very underrated IMHO.

Few players have won the English top flight. Power and Booth are two that have. Both very underrated IMHO.
When did Tommy win the First Division title?

He was on City’s books in 1967-68 but according to this site, his first appearance was against Huddersfield on 23/09/1968. Wikipedia credits Tommy with a First Division title but gives his deput as the following season.

Paul Power did win a title after moving to Everton in 1986-87.

Funny that, don't see Tommy as a midfielder, really. Tidy player, but not that. Presumably he was in a holding role?
A long time ago but was lucky enough to be at the game, I was sat near Peter Barnes family, considering the barren years that were to follow. I don't remember much about his actual role that day but do recall being surprised with how good he was on the ball. Clearly a stopgap measure but credit were credit is due, he put in a shift that day,

Paul Power did win a title after moving to Everton in 1986-87.

Didn't know that. I remember watching Power and others who came in round about that time — ‘Kid’ Clements come to mind — and just thinking that, although they were decent enough players, they simply weren't at the level we'd feasted on with the likes of Doyle, Nelly, Buzzer, and then the players who replaced them in the 70s, like Donachie, Hartford, Tueart, Watson. That was clear to me. I didn't think we'd cross the desert that we finally ended up crossing (forty years in the Sinai!) but I was aware that the glory days would be in abeyance for some time to come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.