The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

Based on your username, I'm expecting a large score and glowing review from you.
It'll be a decent score - I know the album well ;-)

To be fair, whilst I do undoubtedly like Oasis and the Gallagher's my username wasn't really selected with that consciously in mind (I mean I know how much it offends a lot of BlueMooners even acknowledging the existence of them), but more that I was in Barcelona for a stag do (that was unfortunately no longer a stag do) and I think I used the term when speaking to Mrs Onholiday at some point when checking in.............

Talk tonight and Going nowhere I'm going to be in the minority and say nothing special for me.
Swampsong not a good instrumental song.
I like Oasis when they keep it simple.
Acquiesce,Underneath the Sky,Fade Away,Listen Up,Rockin Chair,It's Good to be Free,Stay Young and Masterplan all great.The rest all okay.
Liam on the early albums sounded great,shame his voice went all to pot with his lifestyle,
7.5 out of 10.
Definitely Maybe still my favourite.

I've listened to this album before, but to be fair it was quite a few years ago.

I was never a big Oasis fan until I saw them live at Maine Rd in the mid-90s. My Mum got us tickets to go and see them as a surprise, but she didn't realise I wasn't a fan! I went down anyway, not expecting too much - I quite liked a few songs though. I think Ocean Colour Scene supported them and in truth, I was more interested in seeing them than Oasis at the time..!

Oasis came on and absolutely blew me away that night and I became a big fan of theirs, they were absolutely brilliant. I've always maintained that that night, they were the best band on the planet and I got to see them. Most of us will never get to see "that moment", but anyone who was their that night saw it, here in Manchester and specifically at Maine Road! I remember looking up at The Kippax and thinking "this is what it must be like on the pitch"!

Anyway, I then really got into them and loved Definitely Maybe and What's the story. But if I'm honest, the stuff they did after that never seemed as good. It always seemed to me that they made the same songs over again, and in truth I just let them slip away for a bit. Everything I hear from the Gallaghers afterward never sounded as good as early Oasis anyway.

So, today I banged the headphones on in work and I actually enjoyed listening to the album as I'd not heard it in years. Acquiesce, Half the world away, Talk Tonight and Masterplan were the highlights for me. It's amazing to think a song like Acquiesce wasn't a single in itself, which shows how good they were in the mid-90s.

Overall it was nice to hear an old friend again, but I don't think I'd be coming back again to it. Oasis at their best are amazing and I'm not sure that this compares to their first two albums. In some ways, it's like when we reviewed Help by The Beatles - it's a good album, but you know it's not their best. Either way though, it shows just how many great B-sides they did.

It's a 7/10 from me.
Don't know which of the Maine Road gigs you went to but it has to be said, Saturday night, which I went to was a special gig. The atmosphere was electric.

Talk tonight and Going nowhere I'm going to be in the minority and say nothing special for me.
Swampsong not a good instrumental song.
I like Oasis when they keep it simple.
Acquiesce,Underneath the Sky,Fade Away,Listen Up,Rockin Chair,It's Good to be Free,Stay Young and Masterplan all great.The rest all okay.
Liam on the early albums sounded great,shame his voice went all to pot with his lifestyle,
7.5 out of 10.
Definitely Maybe still my favourite.
So, on the internationally recognised scoring system, is that a 7 or an 8?

Don't know which of the Maine Road gigs you went to but it has to be said, Saturday night, which I went to was a special gig. The atmosphere was electric.
Yes, it was the Saturday night one - absolutely brilliant night!

Reactions: OB1
Sorry.
I tried, I really tried, but life is too short.
I’m sure they’re great live and there’s probably a few other positives I could throw their way.
I don’t hate them, they have a few tunes I can listen to, but even those ones, I’m kind of sick of by now.

I was bored after about three songs and it didn’t get any better.
I won’t bring the average down by scoring this album.

Sorry.
I tried, I really tried, but life is too short.
I’m sure they’re great live and there’s probably a few other positives I could throw their way.
I don’t hate them, they have a few tunes I can listen to, but even those ones, I’m kind of sick of by now.

I was bored after about three songs and it didn’t get any better.
I won’t bring the average down by scoring this album.
It's part of it matey - what score you giving it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.