"Blackfishing"

There’s a section of society that seems to feel a need to be offered for what ever reason, I’ve got Jamaican friends if I go over there I’ll stay with their families have a goat cook, go to dance halls etc, I’ll even eat Mannish water, do they think I’m trying to appropriate their culture ? Do they fuck.
Yeah but open a jerk chicken shop, wear a rasta wig and black up and you're Jamaican friends might have a chat with you

It's more complicated than that. Firstly whiteness is the norm and dominant culture. Blackness has been frowned upon by mainstream society for ever. So when a black person expresses their identity they get shot down for it. A white person uses black identity to make money. You can't see the problem??

Too simplified! And to simplify it, by the whitesplaining individual who claims Black isn't Black, is racist.

I even said, earlier, just an acknowledgement of the influence that got that famous person their wealth (based upon that very appropriation)... is racist.

It's not that I won't contribute as I see more and more twisting of the situation, I just can't abide stupidity and I don't want to curse out particular clowns, so I'm resisting.

Most people I know (not all) that have a dog in this fight think it just distracts from real discrimination issues, I’d rather talk to people than read any old BS on the internet thanks.
How do you know it's BS until you've read it?

Make an effort, it does you or anybody else zero harm to take 5 minutes out of your day to understand somebody else's perspective on what to them is a very serious issue.

Yes i can when it is simply done to make money then it is wrong. I fully agree with that but how does an individual decide another individual is doing that ?
Half the black American rappers came from relatively wealthy areas they just pretended they were from the ghetto.

Correct and they get called out too, by real artists that have made it via true hard work.

For example 'LL Cool J' getting ragged by 'Nas'.

This is not ignored.

How do you know it's BS until you've read it?

Make an effort, it does you or anybody else zero harm to take 5 minutes out of your day to understand somebody else's perspective on what to them is a very serious issue.
Before the Internet, twitter and other social media, people developed their views and thoughts by going out of the house meeting and talking to people. The more people you met the broader, usually, your views were.
As travel opened up and new countries were visited so people learnt to be more tolerant and understanding.

That's what I read on another forum anyway.

How people can have a issue with way someone else likes to dress or look is beyond me. As long as said person isn't out to cause offence or mock others then what does it matter? Its utterly bizarre what some people will take offence with these days.

Put simply these are modern day made up 1st world issues.

Clearly they don't have other bigger issues to deal with if they are concerned about nonsense such as this, such as a discrimination, struggling to heat a house, or a life threatening illness or possibly caring for a close relative.

OK...So, even if declining this dish caused mortal offence to my hosts...I would decline it and open a tin of Baxters ..
Wouldn't that offend some bloke in a kilt? Magic Pole could perhaps help us on that.
I can't quite work out whether l should be offended by former President Obama wearing a suit and tie.;)
I certainly am not going to tell a Samoan or Fijian rugby player he shouldn't play the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.