"Blackfishing"

See?

You've explained the issue of appropriation for famous people that gain wealth from it.

It's all about respecting where it came from and not passing it off as your own thing.

Hopefully, others will agree with you, so thanks.

A i really don’t care about famous people
B passing what off as their own thing?

A what now?

If your not actively anti racist your a racist...
That's not true at all. Somebody could be non racist but too shy to call out people when racist views are aired. That does not make that person racist, it makes them shy. The problem with this debate is comments like that (i've seen it on social media before) sound great when you don't think about them much, but fall apart completely when examined a little bit.

That's not true at all. Somebody could be non racist but too shy to call out people when racist views are aired. That does not make that person racist, it makes them shy. The problem with this debate is comments like that (i've seen it on social media before) sound great when you don't think about them much, but fall apart completely when examined a little bit.

Let's say, bluejon, you're in circle of friends and one of them, let's call them 'Jovial' Henry pops up with a 'Black' accent (pick any stereotype you like) and your mates chuckle along and you want to 'call him out', but are shy.

In that moment, are you active in declaring your discomfort and maybe losing a mate or two or passive in allowing everyone to think you are 'one of the lads' the same as Henry?

There are no outs to look for as it's a real life scenario.

Where do you stand?

I’ve tried to follow this debate and am the first to admit half the words used, I don’t understand.

The way I would try and summarise the problem (perhaps too simplistically or crudely) is that in today’s world “fame” is available from the comfort of your own home without actually having to do or produce anything other than content. The demand for instant recognition is intense for these wannabes and to accomplish this people are “stealing” other peoples cultural roots/traditions and then, in some cases, doubling down by claiming they have the same cultural roots/traditions. And this is upsetting people? Well if I am even about half correct then I can get where they are coming from, surely it’s similar (in terms of injustice) to stealing someone’s idea and profiting off it - and we have copyright laws to protect people from this. I certainly don’t pretend to know how it feels but I would be mighty pissed off if someone stole an idea I’d shared with them and sold it off as their own.

Almost but not quite. The "stolen" dance moves were from black kids dancing to contemporary music, it's bit hard to argue that these were a cultural thing when they were made up all of five minutes ago. They can't be copyrighted either.

The kids were also initially pleased that they went viral, but then came the "why isn't that me" up there getting fame or success. And the impression I get is that this wasn't an entirely organic feeling but encouraged by social justice warriors on social media.

There was also the notion that the black kids have to work ten times harder, but one admitted in conversation that it took a "long time" (half an hour) to choreograph her dance (which lasted a few minutes), seems a lot for a teenage girl but doesn't really seem to be the same as busting her ass off.

As if fame and commercial success was ever fairly rewarded.

It's also a bit of a myth that you can overnight success on YouTube and TikTok and it's easy to achieve and sustain without an incredible amount of luck, hard work and knowledge about what you are doing (target demographics, algorithms etc) or support staff (parents) who do. Higher production videos usually need sponsorship to be sustain themselves (beyond just money generated directly from views and likes) so you can throw negotiating and marketing skills in too.

The way I see it, and perhaps simplifying a bit, there are two main routes to content creator success, persona creation or creating content in your own genuine and honest personality.

Bald and Bankrupt is an example of the genuine personality, the Pauls are an example of the brash attention grabbing opposite. Some people will be somewhere between the two.

Let's say, bluejon, you're in circle of friends and one of them, let's call them 'Jovial' Henry pops up with a 'Black' accent (pick any stereotype you like) and your mates chuckle along and you want to 'call him out', but are shy.

In that moment, are you active in declaring your discomfort and maybe losing a mate or two or passive in allowing everyone to think you are 'one of the lads' the same as Henry?

There are no outs to look for as it's a real life scenario.

Where do you stand?
1634219269197.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.