Paul Merson

Just watched this, quite a good show. First thing struck me is how pokey Merson's rented accomodation is. Don't get me wrong, its bigger than my house lol, but not one you would imagine an ex footballer and TV pundit living in.
I'm sure its devastating for his wife that he gambled away their house deposit.
How much do you reckon he'd earn from Sky?

Heart breaking the stories of those on the show who's family members killed themselves due to their addiction

Nope I won’t block you or f*ck off to a Hammers forum’ - I am used to the nature of your replies over the years - especially on this topic , for some reason you like to be aggressive and shout down anyone opening up about about gambling addiction - I remember all to well the digs you made at me years ago when I went through the same.

Whether someone can afford to gamble 7 million or 7 thousand is irrelevant - once the addiction takes hold you’re simply out of control - good for you that you know your limits with gambling and can walk away - an addict simply can not do that.

I can get smashed on booze and call it a night - for others it’s not that easy - whether they're rich or poor - they are also human and the nature of the addiction doesn’t give a sh*t about his or her background. Same for gambling.

No one is trying to take gambling away from you - all that’s being suggested is less advertising and finding ways to prevent what happened to Merson and millions of others - he openly admits he thought about taking his life which many people do including a Blue on here and when you got people like yourself with zero sympathy and calling him a c*nt for speaking on a topic that may help others then I feel it right to point out that doesn’t help anyone and you should be more considerate, not for him personally but for him trying to help others.

I’m sure you’ll make a long winded rant back and mention ‘fuckin idiot’ ‘c*nt’ ‘no sympathy’ etc etc which is fine and that’s your opinion - but as a addict myself I felt it right to challenge you on this as I have a better understanding- I’ve had my say and I’ll leave it there, have a good day.
And may you also have a good day, Mark.

Its peddling misery
According to the stats shown at the end of the documentary, 0.5% of gamblers have issues.

That’s probably lower than the percentage of drinkers that have alcohol dependency, so should be ban all alcohol advertising? Smoking has already gone. Fast food isn’t good for everyone and some cunts are fat as they eat too much of it, so let’s have none of that either. Same with loans and banks, they’re all run by cunts. Let’s have nothing advertised as it’s all materialistic at the end of the day and serves no valid purpose.

Seems a few people on here have no understanding of how gambling addiction can take over someone’s life - It is a daily battle for some and they have to cope with the losses and despair- which in some cases means they take their own life.

An addiction is an addiction- it’s not something to just dismiss, and there should always be ways to help prevent people getting addicted- if someone as high profile as Merson can explain the dangers and what he has been through then that will help others - so, those calling him a ‘c*nt’ and having little sympathy at the plight he and millions others get in through gambling then you’re probably best to not give your ignorant opinion - especially as we’ve recently had a poster on here lose her husband to this addiction.
This particular **** makes money from being a **** whilst being sponsored by a gambling firm so whilst I can have sympathy for addiction he’s too much of a **** to even consider empathy towards. He’s spunked millions that would have ruined most peoples lives or caused suicide but he’s still a millionaire earning and spunking more in a week than some people earn a year and still has the cheek to market his fucking book & expect sympathy! He’s deoxygenating the planet with zero societal benefit.

Watched it last night but it just seems very hollow from Mersin probably gonna make a bomb out of blowing millions and no doubt will fall again ............ great insight into how these bookies can track everything you get up to
:( seriously something needs doing about that

According to the stats shown at the end of the documentary, 0.5% of gamblers have issues.

That’s probably lower than the percentage of drinkers that have alcohol dependency, so should be ban all alcohol advertising? Smoking has already gone. Fast food isn’t good for everyone and some cunts are fat as they eat too much of it, so let’s have none of that either. Same with loans and banks, they’re all run by cunts. Let’s have nothing advertised as it’s all materialistic at the end of the day and serves no valid purpose.

5% doesn't sound like a lot does it...

https://www.finder.com/uk/gambling-statistics

According to this, pretty much 50% of the population have gambled in the last 4 weeks and 20% of British people say they have gambled at least twice in the last week.

So using the second of those stats approx 12M people have gambled a couple of times in the last week, of those 5% have a problem. Thats conservatively 600,000 people that have a problem with gambling. Over half a million people.

Sounds like a quite serious issue to me.

I wonder what the cost to society is?

Meanwhile Bet365 made £660 Million on turnover of £2.86B in 18/19

Interesting symetry there, 600K > 660M

I know this is simplistic but lets say the sociatal cost of maintaining 600K problem gambler is £1000 per year per gambler... which probably covers a few lost work days, maybe a visit or 2 to the doctor.

There you go, society pays £600M which goes straight to Bet365, they paid just over 100M in Tax and the Chief Exec took £421M as remuneration.

But hey, she did give £10M to the NHS during Covid... thats about 0.25% of her pay (and is tax deductable)... what a hero

Last edited:

According to this, pretty much 50% of the population have gambled in the last 4 weeks and 20% of British people say they have gambled at least twice in the last week.

So using the second of those stats approx 12M people have gambled a couple of times in the last week, of those 5% have a problem. Thats conservatively 600,000 people that have a problem with gambling. Over half a million people.

I know this is simplistic but lets say the sociatal cost of maintaining 600K problem gambler is £1000 per year per gambler... which probably covers a few lost work days, maybe a visit or 2 to the doctor.

There you go, society pays £600M which goes straight to Bet365, they paid just over 100M in Tax and the Chief Exec took £421M as remuneration.

But hey, she did give £10M to the NHS during Covid... thats about 0.25% of her pay (and is tax deductable)... what a hero
Don't want to harpoon this...good work,,,but
0.5% is not....5%

You’re a factor of 10 out mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.